The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been on here few times but I still get problems with ketones which my endo just says don't test. Can' anyone tell me why my ketones remain most of the day along with feeling not great and freezing hands, I eat x3 aday but I either wake at levels of 1. Or end up there several times a day, my blood sugars don't go very high I take insulin and eat carbs, although still got problems with levimir dosing, I don't understand why they rise I eat regular but not big eater. This stopped for a while but now back again, I test because know I've got them, when I eating take insulin they go, and hands warm up again, but back after few hours again. Any ideas anyone. My diabetes team can't help me. Thsy say don't test, I find it very distressing as everyday again.I know 1 isn't very high but don't understand why I get them.馃槖

Super Moderator
I assume you are talking about ketone testing? What method are you using, blood or urine?

DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) is a condition that can happen when blood sugar is high (>250 mg/dL) and ketone levels are present. Recommendations to contact your doctor at ketone levels greater than 1.5 mmol/L. Not sure if there is direct info about urine ketones, they indicate that ketones are present but do not correlate to blood ketone levels.

Everyone usually will have some some blood ketones at times, such as during fasting periods or experiencing weight loss (body fats that were stored for future fuel, are being used as fuel. What you are seeing may be normal. If your BG is not going over 250 mg/dL (13.88 mmol/L) AND your ketone levels are low you should be OK.

Reactions: net

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for reply I test with blood testing meter, my ketones shot to 1.00 even after eating and taking insulin, I know its not dangerous level, I also have been waking up some mornings to 1.00, for the last few days, I have lost weight lately and had several insulin changes, as I have put on here but now back on Levemir x 2 a day which doesn't last until next dose but they have tried 3 different insulins, over last few months, I had Covid in December, and levels not been right since, , I recently spent 2 weeks in hospital with diabetes problems, but not ketones as I have had before, can you think of why this would happen you have supported me on here before with various problems with diabetes, I just cant understand why this would happen, I go down when I eat but then back up, I cant think its starvation ketones, because I eat x 3 a day, not big meals, I've got problems with sugar levels, but not dangerously high, cant understand why I keep going to 1.00, hope you can think of any reasons, I buy most of my ketone strips, as only get 2 packs of 10 a month on prescription, consultant says don't test unless high, which I know, but there must be a reason? thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for reply I test with blood testing meter, my ketones shot to 1.00 even after eating and taking insulin, I know its not dangerous level, I also have been waking up some mornings to 1.00, for the last few days, I have lost weight lately and had several insulin changes, as I have put on here but now back on Levemir x 2 a day which doesn't last until next dose but they have tried 3 different insulins, over last few months, I had Covid in December, and levels not been right since, , I recently spent 2 weeks in hospital with diabetes problems, but not ketones as I have had before, can you think of why this would happen you have supported me on here before with various problems with diabetes, I just cant understand why this would happen, I go down when I eat but then back up, I cant think its starvation ketones, because I eat x 3 a day, not big meals, I've got problems with sugar levels, but not dangerously high, cant understand why I keep going to 1.00, hope you can think of any reasons, I buy most of my ketone strips, as only get 2 packs of 10 a month on prescription, consultant says don't test unless high, which I know, but there must be a reason? thanks.
I assume you are talking about ketone testing? What method are you using, blood or urine?

DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) is a condition that can happen when blood sugar is high (>250 mg/dL) and ketone levels are present. Recommendations to contact your doctor at ketone levels greater than 1.5 mmol/L. Not sure if there is direct info about urine ketones, they indicate that ketones are present but do not correlate to blood ketone levels.

Everyone usually will have some some blood ketones at times, such as during fasting periods or experiencing weight loss (body fats that were stored for future fuel, are being used as fuel. What you are seeing may be normal. If your BG is not going over 250 mg/dL (13.88 mmol/L) AND your ketone levels are low you should be OK.
Hi still wondering if ketones going to 1.00 each day is normal? As I eat 3 meals a day but after around 4hrs they go up again, sorry but just so worried as no one can explain.

Super Moderator
net, the research I was able to do shows that your ketone levels are nowhere near dangerous levels, so perhaps you can rest easier knowing that. Blood ketone levels (I'm assuming from you mentioning a number as exact as 1.00 that you're testing blood ketones, not urine ketones) vary depending on many factors, including your blood glucose level, how much liquid you drink each day (not adult beverages; avoiding dehydration), stress, and what you eat (high levels of protein can increase ketone levels). It is possible to likely that the COVID-19 has affected your metabolism and the fairly continual changes in insulin administration aren't helping. Even losing weight through a low-carb diet can alter ketone levels.

Again, we're not doctors. I'm sure you're making your care team aware of your concerns. But what I could learn seems to show that a ketone level of 1.00 does not seem to be worth worrying about.

Super Moderator
From my previous post:
.....Everyone usually will have some some blood ketones at times, such as during fasting periods or experiencing weight loss (body fats that were stored for future fuel, are being used as fuel. What you are seeing may be normal.....
By fasting periods, I meant in the morning when you get up or between meals. Fasting periods are possibly between meals depending on your eating habits and activity levels.

Blood ketone strips are expensive. I'd save them for times when BG levels got high and your prescribed amount would probably be plenty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts