The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi its me again I'm still not doing great, problems after covid back in December, but ketones still a concern, I can get ketones of over 1.00 around 4 hours after eating , I always have around 40 to 50 carbs each meal x 3 times aday, blood sugar pretty stable I don't get ketones if levels go up, so what I'm saying if I didn't eat regularly it would be worse, I'm still worried about it, endo says don't keep testing but they make me feel unwell and nauseous when I get them, and I have to force myself to eat sometimes but I do eat regularly, I'm type 1 on novorapid and levemir, I don't know what to make f it, if anyone can through new light on this I would be really grateful as I find it scary thanks in advance to you all out there.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
net, is it possible to get a second opinion at a different health clinic or a referral to an/another endocrinologist? (You may have mentioned this in another thread; my apologies if you have.) My concern is that the relationship you have with your current medical team is not trustful -- you (rightfully) don't feel comfortable being told to ignore feeling unwell and they are not addressing your concerns in a way that is clear to you or making you feel as healthful as you can be.

tbh I don't know a lot about ketone levels in T1 diabetics. I do know that the commonly available ketone measuring sticks have a general reputation for fairly low accuracy. So your medical team may be correct in suggesting this is not an accurate measurement for you, but it is one you can track and they should be doing a better job of explaining 1) why your measured ketone levels are not accurate enough to be a guide for your treatment; and 2) what can be done to address the nausea you're experiencing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
net, is it possible to get a second opinion at a different health clinic or a referral to an/another endocrinologist? (You may have mentioned this in another thread; my apologies if you have.) My concern is that the relationship you have with your current medical team is not trustful -- you (rightfully) don't feel comfortable being told to ignore feeling unwell and they are not addressing your concerns in a way that is clear to you or making you feel as healthful as you can be.

tbh I don't know a lot about ketone levels in T1 diabetics. I do know that the commonly available ketone measuring sticks have a general reputation for fairly low accuracy. So your medical team may be correct in suggesting this is not an accurate measurement for you, but it is one you can track and they should be doing a better job of explaining 1) why your measured ketone levels are not accurate enough to be a guide for your treatment; and 2) what can be done to address the nausea you're experiencing.
Thanks for reply I use blood testing strips, get some on prescription, but buy alot, expensive! But don't know what t makes.it, some say lower levels fine, but I need used to have hardly any shoe, surebits all connected to covid, I'm totally different now, have to take more insulin to control diabetes.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
I think we're a long way from knowing all the things that COVID-19 can or has done to humans. I just wish we knew now but that's asking for a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi its me again I'm still not doing great, problems after covid back in December, but ketones still a concern, I can get ketones of over 1.00 around 4 hours after eating , I always have around 40 to 50 carbs each meal x 3 times aday, blood sugar pretty stable I don't get ketones if levels go up, so what I'm saying if I didn't eat regularly it would be worse, I'm still worried about it, endo says don't keep testing but they make me feel unwell and nauseous when I get them, and I have to force myself to eat sometimes but I do eat regularly, I'm type 1 on novorapid and levemir, I don't know what to make f it, if anyone can through new light on this I would be really grateful as I find it scary thanks in advance to you all out there.
Hmm, sounds like maybe a little keto flu. It lasted for a few weeks for us. We actually aim for ketones to prevent seizures caused by Ronnie’s brain damage. The high fat low carb diet keeps his A1c at 5.2. We do test it with a Keto-Mojo meter. Testing once every day or so. Good luck. I hope you find a healthy balance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts