The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everone! Im type 1 and a pumper. Last a1c was 7.8 abiut a week ago, I tried lowering carb intake to try and control numbers. Its been great - I love no spikes! I have noticed a headache last 2 days but no other concerning symptoms ... However, after reading other posts regarding ketones, I decided to check mine. Its says MODERATE!!! Oh my ... What have I done? Did I over do the low carb? Is this norm?? I had bloodwork 1 week ago and it was negative. Yikes! I called doc who said since glucose readings were good, just to keep fluids and we will test again tomorrow. With low carbing ... What should I expect with ketones? Should I add back carbs to tone down ketones to trace level? As a type 1, should I low carb at all?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hi everone! Im type 1 and a pumper. Last a1c was 7.8 abiut a week ago, I tried lowering carb intake to try and control numbers. Its been great - I love no spikes! I have noticed a headache last 2 days but no other concerning symptoms ... However, after reading other posts regarding ketones, I decided to check mine. Its says MODERATE!!! Oh my ... What have I done? Did I over do the low carb? Is this norm?? I had bloodwork 1 week ago and it was negative. Yikes! I called doc who said since glucose readings were good, just to keep fluids and we will test again tomorrow. With low carbing ... What should I expect with ketones? Should I add back carbs to tone down ketones to trace level? As a type 1, should I low carb at all?
This has been discussed at length in other threads. Ketones can be in your blood for two entirely different reasons, one dangerous and life-threatening the other benign and in fact a good thing. Your doctor got it right, moderate ketones are nothing bad unless accompanied by high (at least 220 but nearly always over 300) blood sugar levels. The two states are:

1. Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)
- Very elevated blood sugar
- Very low insulin levels (in spite of need)
- Rapid fat mobilization
- High levels of ketones
- High acidity of the blood
- Left unchecked it can escalate rapidly and be fatal

2. Diet Induced Ketosis
- Good (normal) blood sugar levels
- Healthy low insulin levels (because very little need for it)
- Healthy fat mobilization and its metabolism for energy
- Trace or moderate ketones only
- No harmful levels of blood acidity
- A healthy state (especially for blood sugar) which can continue indefinitely without harm.

For many type 2s, doing this can eliminate the need for any meds or insulin. As a type 1, you will of course continue to require insulin but you will require much less in this state and avoiding highs and lows will be much easier. Kind of like keeping a car on the road at 20 mph vs. doing it at 200 mph.

BTW, I'm a type 2 but I have ketones in my blood (and measurable in my urine) every day, all day for well over a year now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. I drank plenty of fluid last night and woke up at bg 123 and trace of ketone. I cannot explain how much "calmer" my body feels without all those bg spikes and insulin-enforced rapid drops - and it has only been a week since I modified my eating habits. As of now, I really enjoy the results of LCHF eating. Thank you, again, as your explanation of ketosis has put me at much ease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts