The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question? Every few days or so when I test it will show up "ketones" under the reading, I've Googled it but I am still a little confused by what it means and if I should be worried. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Question? Every few days or so when I test it will show up "ketones" under the reading, I've Googled it but I am still a little confused by what it means and if I should be worried. :D
There are a few meters on the market that will give you a ketone warning if your blood sugar goes above a certain level. If your blood sugar readings are within a good range, then contact the manufacturer and let them know that you are getting a ketone warning. The meter could be defective. If your blood sugar levels are high then you may want to check with your doctor to see if you should be testing your urine for ketones.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only happens when my reading is above 250ish, which is about 75% of the time. But it doesn't show it every time it's above 250.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It only happens when my reading is above 250ish, which is about 75% of the time. But it doesn't show it every time it's above 250.
That is odd. Read the owner's manual and read to see what it says regarding the ketone warning. The next time you see your doctor ask your doctor if you should be checking your urine for ketones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I asked my Dr. about testing for ketones, he said only really necessary
when sick and you are high for long periods of time. I have never tested for ketones, what's the point. If I'm testing high I take more insulin, drink water and bring it down. If I have ketones what do you do, take more insulin, drink water and bring it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I asked my Dr. about testing for ketones, he said only really necessary
when sick and you are high for long periods of time. I have never tested for ketones, what's the point. If I'm testing high I take more insulin, drink water and bring it down. If I have ketones what do you do, take more insulin, drink water and bring it down.
me too
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts