The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very slow, but now I've figured something out and any help would be appreciated. As a child I was always very thin...all the doctors I saw thought I was too thin and tried to make me gain weight. (Side note, my mother was a dreadful cook.) I was never hungry and just ate what was around...usually soup and cheese and milk, cottage cheese, etc. I've been in ketosis now for about 18 months and have absolutely NO appetite and it finally hit me that I feel like I did as a kid...never really hungry. That's why I'm still losing weight. I weighed 95 lbs at 21 on my wedding day...highest I'd ever weighed was 101 and at 5'5'' that was thin! Neither of my parents were overweight but on the thin side. For example, today I had a handful of cashews for b'fast, 5 Optimist's crackers with butter and peanut butter for lunch and now a hunk of cheese for dinner so far. I have a steak thawed for dinner, but no appetite and that's what made me remember how I felt growing up. Even in college I rarely ate in the dining room even tho' my meals were paid for...and, eating alone now complicates my issue as I view eating alone is so damned lonely. As often as I can I find a friend to eat out with so as to not be alone. I notice I eat more that way. It looks like I've got to get out of ketosis one way or another. Oddly, I remember only liking the fat of roast beef growing up not the meat. Both parents fussed about that but that didn't change my choice.

This may sound strange to you, but it's how I've lived and now I've got to change my ways. I'm now a lb lower than last week and it scares me...my mother died with dementia, but she also weighed only 80 lbs at her death and a cousin of hers told me once that that was how all the women in her family died. I know my g'mother lived many years on baby food. She reputedly had a 'stomach problem', but now I wonder.

Any suggestions? I'm going to be away at the holidays and will have access to 3 meals a day and I'm thinking of just eating reasonably a rounded diet and see what my BG does and keeping track of it, but not cutting out all carbs to see if I'll be able to gain a bit and what it does to my ketosis and appetite.

My increased fat has provided more energy, but not a weight gain or appetite.

My endo also told me last week that my sodium blood level was dropping and I know that was true of mother a few years before her death and no doctor could tell me what that meant and that worries me so if anyone knows what that means I'd appreciate it.

Help me if you can with ideas or feedback,

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Have you tried adding some more salt to your diet?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't. I will. I've avoided it since I have HBP and was advised I was sodium sensitive.

I was so hoping you'd see this and give me a good look because you seem to know a lot about the chemistry of the body. Others may but they don't talk so openly.

By the way, I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with PCOS, a bit late, but missed I am told by the doctors because my weight was less than normal. My endo believes I had metabolic syndrome but it was discounted at the time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don' know if this will help you out, but about 2 years ago my granddaughter was diagnosed with PCOS. I know that one of the symptoms is weight gain, so your weight loss is a little puzzling. Anyway, she was treated for PCOS for 2 years, and about a month ago because of a change in health insurance she had to change doctors. The new doc said she was misdiagnosed with PCOS and that her problem has to do with her thyroid.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was a kid I was dreafully skinny, too. I remember when kids started to wear jeans I hated it because my hip bones would stick out. I was never a big eater and often skipped meals, especially breakfast. I really never gained weight until after I started to have kids. I guess 6 pregnancies in 11 years did a number on my body. It wasn't until after I was dx'd that I started to eat meals on a regular basis. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat. Now that I test I realise that not eating usually raises my bg more than eating. I am one who gets lots of liver dumps if I don't eat. My mom now in her 90's has difficulty keeping weight on, too and the doctors are worried. I do think as we age our bodies change the way they metabolise food, especially protein. How much protein are you eating? I would think that is probably the best way to increase your weight. Also you may want to experiment adding a few carbs back into your diet. For me eating carbs will add weight in a flash. Also do you exercise? If you can add muscle to your body you will add weight.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
There is a radical weight loss that occurs in dementia, the reasons for which are currently under study. My Dad had this loss, but my Mom did not. But she was fed so much starchy crap in the nursing home, she got pretty big.

... was your mom always slender?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Maybe try and increase your protein in the evening. This will give your body plenty of time to make glucose, repair muscle, while keeping your bg level,

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is a radical weight loss that occurs in dementia, the reasons for which are currently under study. My Dad had this loss, but my Mom did not. But she was fed so much starchy crap in the nursing home, she got pretty big.

... was your mom always slender?
My father ultimately died from Alzheimer's. When he lost a lot of weight we had to move him out of the house and into an assisted living complex. My understanding is that people with Alzheimer's or Dementia lose the ability to feel hunger any longer. Subsequently, the also never feel full either.

Once Dad was into assisted living with structured dining, he gained at least 50 pounds, as he never stopped eating if there was food on the table.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I thank all of you for your thoughts. I will try to answer all the questions. Yes, my mother's high weight was about 140 at 5'5". She had some quirky food issues and was badly malnourished for years, as I believe her mother was. I sure want to avoid that road! I am being treated for thyroid currently, right level is not yet determined. I do eat a lot of protein, but I will make an effort to increase it more, Jwags. Along with more fat. Well at least no dementia yet, because I can always tell when I'm full!

I think the base of my current problem is that I've gone from 183 to 128 and having problems making the 'train' stop. If I liked sweets, perhaps it would be easier, but my taste runs to the savory foods and proteins.

I have severe RA and OA in my spine and exercise is a problem. I guess I need to use a pool more often than I do. It's about the only exercise I can do presently. Even walking hurts and consequently I do not walk anymore for exercise. I had a full work up done last month at Scott and White in Temple, Tex which is run in the same manner as Mayo's and they offered me a morphine pump as the best option if I can't get relief any other way...:( Not a good option.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Patdart, I hope things get better for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I understand how uncomfortable it can be to experience pain most of the time. Not a fun thing. Get in that pool and do what you can do to get some exercise. I know the water is a great way to exercise with no impact. Feels good too. I used to do water aerobics years ago and I loved it. That was when I was a member of the local YMCA. No longer there so I stopped, but I would still be doing that if I had the time and membership.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just for the heck of it I Googled dementia and came up with something called Sage Tests. It is a self-administered test to screen for early dementia. There are 4 different tests to print, plus a sheet that tells what the test results mean. You have someone periodically sit you down with one of the tests and an ink pen, then the person administering the test grades it.

I'm no doctor, but from reading your posts it looks to me like you are far from dementia, but if nothing else, I thought it might be an interesting read for you.

Self-administered dementia test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts