The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored and hungry, and as I *MUST* eat regularly now I stopped into KFC during some shopping today to get something to eat.

I'm a hungry former-farm-boy and as such opted for the following:

3 piece meal with fries and gravy. No, I didn't eat the fries... but it was cheaper to get 3 pieces with fries and a drink (meal deal) than 3 individual pieces and a drink WITHOUT fries. Go figure. Also got a Diet Pepsi.

It was Original Recipe Drumstick, Wing and Thigh. I used roughly 1/4 of the gravy they provided - I don't need much to be happy.

Here's KFC's (Canada) Nutritional Data:

Wing - 100 calories, 6g fat, 2g carb and 11g protein
Drumstick - 130 calories, 8g fat, 5g carb, 9g protein
Thigh - 250 calories, 16g fat, 8g carb, 17g protein
1/4 of he Gravy - 11 calories, 0.25g fat, 2g carb, 1g protein

This breaks down to a total of:

491 calories
30g Fat (55% of calories)
17g Carb (14% of calories)
38g protein (31% of calories)

I have a cold (thank my kid) so my pre-meal glucose was a little high at 6.4mmol/l (115). My readings are:

45 minutes: 7.5
60 minutes: 7.2
75 minutes: 7.0

I'm happy with the trend so far... I'll also post at the 90 minute mark, but won't bother with anything after that as I'll be hitting the treadmill then... Was just interested how KFC does if you skip the fries...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, the 90 minute test turns out to be 6.4 (115)... and at 105 minutes (1hr, 45 minutes) I'm down to 5.4 (97)...

The 5.4 (97) is likely one of those slightly low (we all know meters can be 10-20% off) readings, so I'm going to call it closer to a 6.0 (108) or so ... I don't feel like using another strip right now... Or poking myself again, it's obviously coming down and that makes me happy.

Good to know there's at least one fast-food place I can get something when out on the road. It's extremely rare I do eat fast-food now - but when I do I must admit I'm tiring of their salads...

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
More power to you for being able to eat that stuff!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More power to you for being able to eat that stuff!
Well, I figure it's gotta be an EXTREMELY rare occurrence. I've been pretty good (since my new meds that've cause my hypoglycemia) and been taking no-sugar protein bars (that I've tested), nuts and cheeses, jerky, and things like that when I know I'm going someplace.

I'm hoping eating out is no more than once a month or more, and hopefully PLANNED. :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I now and then crave KFC, so when I go I get the 3 piece pack and peel a lot of the breading off (dark meat) and just allow me a splurge. It's not bad for me, but not the best for sure, but once every two weeks or less I'm fine. It's just not worth frying a couple of pieces for myself and I don't like it cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts