The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok most of you know that for the last year and a half I have been off all of my medication until a few days ago since I stopped exercising. So prior I only tested two times a week but am now testing 3 times a day. Well that was my plan. Low and behold I thought I had another full 50 test strips but I don't. No problem just get some more quick right? Not so fast my prescription ran out. They won't give me any until I get a new prescription. Talk about a paper path run bull crap. I have been taking 20 units of Lantus now for three days not knowing where I am; and between the Pharmacy and the Clinic here that can't get things straight I can't get the prescription renewed.

Why do test strips even have to have a prescription in the first place. What am I going to do make a bomb with them? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sometimes I think the FDA has gone too far or maybe even government regulations. :confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think you're absolutely right - if I were you, I'd pick up the ReliOn at Walmart to see you through. The meter & 50 strips would run you about $30-$40, and no prescription required.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do NOT believe that test strips require a prescription, certainly not by federal law. Your issue is probably that your insurance won't cover it unless you have an Rx on file.

You can always pay cash until the pharmacy can get a renewal from your doc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do NOT believe that test strips require a prescription, certainly not by federal law. Your issue is probably that your insurance won't cover it unless you have an Rx on file.

You can always pay cash until the pharmacy can get a renewal from your doc.
Our insurance company has never paid for the test strips. Only my insulin. If that was possible I would have thought (could be wrong) the pharmacist would have given me that option.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Something is wrong. You don't need a prescription for test strips. I've picked them up over the counter at a Walmart I've never been to before.

I also used to travel a lot. I could just walk into a drugstore in a city I've never been in before and get test strips without a prescription.

Phone them up and ask what the problem is. More communication helps a lot of situations.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Unbelievable!!!
In Australia we get our test strips over the counter at pharmacy, box of 100 for $14.70 (subsidized)

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since my insurance company doesn't pay for any of my stips I just buy them. I don't need an Rx. I buy them wherever the price is cheapest. Pharmacies totally rip you off on Test strips. The same strips that cost me $115 I can get on Amazon for $42. I think the Relion at Walmart are $38. Grocery stores have their own cheaper generic strips, too. You can even get R and N insulin at Walmart without an Rx.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I ran into a similar situation as the OP when I also ran out of One Touch test strips. I went to our local Walgreen's store where my Rx was on file and they contacted my Doctor for a 'refill'. In the meantime they were more than happy to sell me a box of strips retail for about $116. I learned after I had opened the box that Wal-Mart meters and strips are MUCH cheaper and just as good or better.

If it was not for the fact that the One Touch Ultralink meter talks to my insulin pump, I would never use the One Touch meter. The Relion meter isn't fancy but it does a good job.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phone them up and ask what the problem is. More communication helps a lot of situations.
I called again this afternoon for the third time. Told the pharmacist that I am giving myself insulin and not knowing the proper amount because I can't test and how I felt about the strips should not need a doctors approval. They are giving (selling) me 50 strips until the clinic submits the proper paper work. I don't know why there is this issue, part of it is my fault as I waited to long before reordering. I may have been dealing with well not the proper person in the first place. :confused::confused: I can pick up the strips tomorrow

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since my insurance company doesn't pay for any of my stips I just buy them. I don't need an Rx. I buy them wherever the price is cheapest. Pharmacies totally rip you off on Test strips. The same strips that cost me $115 I can get on Amazon for $42. I think the Relion at Walmart are $38. Grocery stores have their own cheaper generic strips, too. You can even get R and N insulin at Walmart without an Rx.
I will be shopping.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a prescription for strips so the insurance will pay 80% but there are never enough so I buy a cheaper brand at Walmarts or target to fill in. They are all over the counter. Just order from amazon if all else fails.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've never used a prescription to get my strips and never been asked for one, but I don't have insurance or any expectation of the cost being covered. At Walmart you can often pick up the strips yourself out of a dispenser style display in the regular aisles. Last month I even bought several unopened, unexpired boxes of strips at a resale shop for 69 cents a box. As long as you don't require reimbursement for this particular box at any point this sounds like a case of miscommunication to me. Either that or you need a new pharmacist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is very strange, did you inquire why they wouldn't sell the strips? Only reason I can think of is, as already mentioned, they need a refill before they can send it through to the insurance but they should have allowed you to pay cash regardless.

If this issue ever comes up again, you should go to different pharmacies, without a prescription, and buy them over the counter. Last resort in a pinch would be to buy a meter off the shelf that comes with strips.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I may have been dealing with well not the proper person in the first place.
It's amazing how low the bottom limit of intelligence is. I just remembered I've order strips online without a prescription, from American Diabetes Wholesale. On the other hand I goof up on my job often enough. Maybe the person just needs a little feedback.

I've never used a prescription to get my strips and never been asked for one
Same here. And that was a lot of orders over a lot of years.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After talking to Upper Management and telling them I am out they gave me 100 strips today. I asked for more and was told I could not until my prescription is filled???? I got some so tomorrow I make a trip to Walmart.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I asked for more and was told I could not until my prescription is filled????
Maybe they want to be careful that you don't overdose on test strips. Or that you're not selling them on the street or something. I'd call that nuts, bananas, and crackers. If they screwed up my day like that I'd like to report them to the ACLU or somewhere. They really are missing some information and I would make sure they got it, and hint that an apology (maybe with a free box of strips :) ) would be appreciated. If a hint didn't do it, a very strong hint would be the next level up with more to come if that isn't enough.

Here's another site where I've ordered strips and a meter without a prescription. rxoutreach.org

That site does say something about needing prescriptions right at the beginning, but if you follow through and order the test strips, you don't need the prescription for the strips. Just check the right box and you get a Prodigy Preferred meter for free with your first order. One odd thing about their orders is that the strips come in 50 strip boxes, but you can only order by the 100, so you need to order in even numbers of boxes.

The part on their site about needing prescriptions is just for the medications. You get the strips for $30 a hundred. This is partly funded by donations and you need to declare your income. I can't remember what the upper limits are, but they are generous and I've never made enough in a year to be above them.

The meter is great. No coding which makes it ready faster. It's my favorite right now. The test strips from my last batch expire in May 2013, so a very good expiry date. It might be nice to be able to let the pharmacy know that they will never get another test strip order from anyone on this forum. (pardon the grouchy)

I just ordered again from there a few days ago, so this was all fresh in the brain cells that are still alive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe they want to be careful that you don't overdose on test strips. Or that you're not selling them on the street or something.

I think they read my blog where I was contemplating collecting 18 Trillion of them to build a big fire. I don't think they really liked that idea.

Funny thing is the new ones I got that were suppose to be temporary has a new Prescription date expiration on it. I give up and will check your recommendation.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
They're obviously worried that if you are given unrestricted access to test strips, you'll test continually until you pass out from blood loss, and they'll be liable!

Oh, oh, I got it, maybe they're afraid you'd get a paper cut from the test strip if it's not properly supervised by a doctor?

·
Registered
261 Posts
They're obviously worried that if you are given unrestricted access to test strips, you'll test continually until you pass out from blood loss, and they'll be liable!

Oh, oh, I got it, maybe they're afraid you'd get a paper cut from the test strip if it's not properly supervised by a doctor?
LoL, I'm a test strip junkie please protect me from myself.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts