The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hoped that someone here could help. My husband had a kidney infection previous and at the time of his diabetes appointment in December. Unfortunately he had one of the other doctors and not his regular endo for the appointment. He said the doctor did not really listen to anything he said, etc. and kept getting things wrong. A few days later he gets a letter with all of these results from the exam. The one for creat testing stated that his result was over 6,000mg/g creat! The doctor put a short note saying this was simply "not good"and that normal is 60 and said that he should start taking medicine.

Does this number seem pretty outrageous? Do you think it is a bad test and the doctor didn't bother to think about a logical result? Or should we be worried?

He had a similar test in Feb and his regular doctor didn't seem to have any issues ( I didn't know the exact result for it) he just said it might be something to keep in mind for the future.

His next appointment is in March (with his regular doctor).

I guess I just want to know your opinions.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Was it a blood test or a urine test.
Normal serum creatinine levels are upto 1.3 mg/dL & the urine creatinine clearance for 24 hrs varies from lab to lab. If it was done just once in the morning as a fasting test then I think the normal is upto 260 mg/dL

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Then it must have been a urine examination. I think <30 is normal. And 6000 would certainly indicate kidney problems. With the infection that you mention, I'd suggest refer to your old doctor and take his advice.

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
May not be what your looking for:

Norms I show listed from lab report in 2008 for results titled Microalbumin, Random Urine (w/creatine)

Creatine random urine. 20-370 mg/dL
Microalbumin. Not est. mg/dL
Microalbumin/creatine ratio. <30 mcg/mg

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hmmm . . . on my renal function panel taken three months ago, the standard creatinine range was listed as 0.4 - 1.2 mg/dl.

On the 24-hour urine catch taken at the same time, the creatinine standard range was listed as 0.6 - 1.8 mg/dl.

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
The test results for creatine that I list under "basic metabolic" show a norm of .5-1.4 mg/dL. I am pretty sure this is blood test and previously posted norms are urine test.

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
mbuster said:
The test results for creatine that I list under "basic metabolic" show a norm of .5-1.4 mg/dL. I am pretty sure this is blood test and previously posted norms are urine test.
my previously posted norms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help! He got his results from the urology doctor taking another round of tests and his level was .9 mg/dl which is within the normal range!

I can't believe that other doctor gave him a ridiculous test result and was going to put him on unnecessary medicine without a retest!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts