The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you talk to me about kidney disease. I can't seem to be able to find stats about how long on average from diagnoses until dialysis. I know this is highly individual, but I would love to know on average what my prospects look like.
Life is highly depressing right now. 😥

·
Registered
495 Posts
National Kidney Foundation guidelines recommend you start dialysis when your kidney function drops to 15% or less — or if you have severe symptoms caused by your kidney disease, such as: shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle cramps, nausea or vomiting. Your doctor will help you decide when to start dialysis, based on results of lab tests that measure how much kidney function you have left and on your symptoms.

I know for example at UCSF med center, many dialysis patients go on kidney transplant list when kidney function drops to about 10%.

Can you talk to me about kidney disease. I can't seem to be able to find stats about how long on average from diagnoses until dialysis. I know this is highly individual, but I would love to know on average what my prospects look like.
Life is highly depressing right now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How quickly does the function deteriorate? From the early stages of disease, how many years until I reach that point. There is no stopping this as I understand.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What is your serum creatitine levels or and your Glomerular Filtration Rate %? if you don't know, find out and monitor them. It also helps to stay well hydrated. A simple blood test can arrive at these levels.

How quickly does the function deteriorate? From the early stages of disease, how many years until I reach that point. There is no stopping this as I understand.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For some reason, once kidneys have been damaged, they may continue to get worse over months and years, even long after the disease that caused the damage has gone. This is more likely if you have high blood pressure, and if there is much protein leaking into the urine. Important to monitor your blood pressure and salt/sodium intake as well as protein consumption. Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs (including some that can be bought without a prescription, such as ibuprofen) unless they are approved by a doctor who knows about your kidney problem. They can sometimes worsen kidney function in people with damaged kidneys. You can slow progression of end stage kidney disease and delay its march.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Some reading might be of interest:

Could a High-Fat, Low-Carb Diet Someday Replace Dialysis?

A low-carbohydrate diet may prevent end-stage renal failure in type 2 diabetes. A case report

Conclusion
The present case report shows that a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet improves glycemic control, reduces body weight and may prevent the development of end-stage renal failure in an overweight patient with type-2 diabetes. Furthermore, it raises the concern that the obesity caused by the combination of a high-carbohydrate diet and insulin may have contributed to the patient's failing kidney function.
But, when you're researching, watch out for DUMB stuff like this:

Ketosis Effects on the Kidneys
Very high levels of ketones make your blood more acidic and overburden your kidneys. "Medical News Today" reports that one of the side effects of a ketogenic diet is the formation of kidney stones. In processing higher amounts of protein, your kidneys work hard and are forced to excrete more sodium, calcium and potassium, as well as filter more of the byproducts of protein metabolism. This extra fluid and electrolyte loss can cause low blood pressure, another function mediated by your kidneys. Ketosis in the presence of diabetes can lead to ketoacidosis and coma, and can be life threatening.
WTH? A ketogenic diet is LOW (sufficient, but NO MORE) in protein. So, you can immediately dismiss any discussion when you see ignorant stuff like that. It was a favorite saw of the Atkins-haters some years back, always going on and on about the dangers of "high protein". Well, as a ketogenic practitioner, the worst thing about high protein to me is that it will KNOCK me out of ketosis!

If you Google [ketogenic and liver disease], there's a lot out there.

Reactions: Taso and Daytona

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Life is highly depressing right now. 😥
Taso! You're talking as though going on dialysis at some point is a given. Stop that :)

Personally, I don't expect diabetes to take out my kidneys or feet - as long as I maintain control, stick to LCHF, and stop making fruit exceptions like I've done lately.

5 years without fruit, and suddenly I turn into a fruitfly :( It started with a grapefruit, then a peach, and last week I broke down and had a diabetic version of heroin: figs. But I digress ...

I hate seeing you do a life pile-on by assuming you're headed to dialysis.

Reactions: div2live

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taso! You're talking as though going on dialysis at some point is a given. Stop that :)

Personally, I don't expect diabetes to take out my kidneys or feet - as long as I maintain control, stick to LCHF, and stop making fruit exceptions like I've done lately.

5 years without fruit, and suddenly I turn into a fruitfly :( It started with a grapefruit, then a peach, and last week I broke down and had a diabetic version of heroin: figs. But I digress ...

I hate seeing you do a life pile-on by assuming you're headed to dialysis.
My doc said that's where I would eventually end up. I just watched my dad die from congestive heart failure and on dialysis. Horror is all I can say.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Okay, I just read your posts about compromised kidneys. Didn't know that.

Still - are you seeing a nephrologist? Or is it a GP who said that's where you'd 'end up'? How can s/he say that so declaratively?

I can speak with zero expertise about kidneys, but the cancer I have is very hard on them, and kidney failure with my cancer is common. Can't tell you all the accounts I've read of people in failure, on dialysis, and with treatment their kidneys starting functioning properly and well again. I've had some off readings, but then they'd swing back.

In spite of how hard my cancer is on my kidneys, far more so than my diabetes, I don't expect them to fail. Naive? Maybe. But if I am monitoring and doing everything possible to protect them, then I figure the odds truly are in my favor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Still - are you seeing a nephrologist? Or is it a GP who said that's where you'd 'end up'? How can s/he say that so declaratively?

I can speak with zero expertise about kidneys, but the cancer I have is very hard on them, and kidney failure with my cancer is common. Can't tell you all the accounts I've read of people in failure, on dialysis, and with treatment their kidneys starting functioning properly and well again. I've had some off readings, but then they'd swing back.

In spite of how hard my cancer is on my kidneys, far more so than my diabetes, I don't expect them to fail. Naive? Maybe. But if I am monitoring and doing everything possible to protect them, then I figure the odds truly are in my favor.
Moon, I am sorry you are fighting cancer. I so admire your strength and positive thinking! It's just been too much all together for me. I really need to reflect and adjust. Your words give me strength. Thank you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Moon just quick question. regarding the statement below:

"Can't tell you all the accounts I've read of people in failure, on dialysis, and with treatment their kidneys starting functioning properly and well again"

How were these people who were on dialysis or had end stage 4 chronic kidney disease treated other than with the 3 standard approaches below? How did their kidneys start functioning properly and well again?

Looking at treatment options when you have stage 4 CKD
1. Hemodialysis:
2.Peritoneal dialysis (PD):
3.Kidney transplant: This is a preferred treatment and does not require as many diet restrictions as those who are on hemodialysis or PD.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Moon just quick question. regarding the statement below:

"Can't tell you all the accounts I've read of people in failure, on dialysis, and with treatment their kidneys starting functioning properly and well again"

How were these people who were on dialysis or had end stage 4 chronic kidney disease treated other than with the 3 standard approaches below? How did their kidneys start functioning properly and well again?
Very glad I prefaced my statement with not knowing squat about kidney failure. :)

Mine is a cancer of malignant plasma cells, and the common resulting excess calcium and protein (light chains) are difficult for the kidneys to process and keep up with. I've met many dx'ed with myeloma whose kidney function tests were grim, several who went on dialysis, but after several rounds of chemo their kidneys slowly began recovering function as the myeloma was suppressed and burden on the kidneys reduced.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for clarification as it relates to cancer. Ive frequently been advised by some DR's and cat scan techs to not have contrast dye ordered with cat scans, MRI's or angiograms as it can sometimes either lead to kidney problems or cause problems in patients with kidney disease.

I also have heard if one stays well hydrated, they can have contrast dye used.

There are two rare but serious disorders associated with contrast dyes and the kidneys: contrast induced nephropathy (CIN) and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF).

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/Contrast-Dye-and-Kidneys

Very glad I prefaced my statement with not knowing squat about kidney failure. :)

Mine is a cancer of malignant plasma cells, and the common resulting excess calcium and protein (light chains) are difficult for the kidneys to process and keep up with. I've met many dx'ed with myeloma whose kidney function tests were grim, several who went on dialysis, but after several rounds of chemo their kidneys slowly began recovering function as the myeloma was suppressed and burden on the kidneys reduced.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have no expertise on this topic, but I do know that most medical professionals, including Doctors, operate on the principle that diabetes is a progressive disease that eventually causes problems that kill.

Of course most of these doctors have patients that actually control their blood sugars over the long-run. Yet we believe that by following LCHF, we do control our BS and we will not be likely to die from diabetic related complications...only time will prove this out!

For me regardless of what other problems I may face with my health, I will use LCHF life style to keep my BS under control, 24X7!

I wish you the very best in your ongoing struggles....!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts