The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw my Dr. yesterday. The Janumet was working, but still needed something else. I asked for basal insulin (levemir) + metformin. Answer was "do you want to gain weight"? Me: No, of corse not, I thought that the metformin would offset the weight gain aspect of insulin. Well the answer to this was No! I should only use this combo as my last option. :Cry:
I do have an excellent Dr & I do trust him.:)

Crap, now I am on Komboglyze 2.5/1000mg bid. So far so good, only been 1 day.

Anyone else using this med? What are your likes/dislikes?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your doctor is preaching the standard sermon - prob'ly because he either doesn't know or can't accept a low-carb/high-fat way of controlling diabetes.

If metformin alone is not enough to combat your Insulin Resistance (and it's the only safe oral drug that works for IR), then insulin is the next course of action, assuming you've already adopted the LCHF way-of-eating (WoE), which is the first course of action for anyone who is serious about lowering their blood sugar levels. Metformin works extremely well with LCHF, and if I were you, I would steer way clear of any other oral meds purported to lower my insulin resistance. They all cause more harm than they help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do eat lchf but need help from meds. I will try again at my next visit. Anyone using Komboglyze? Likes /dislikes of being on this med?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Komboglyze is metformin and saxagliptin (Onglyza) combined. Apparently a relatively new drug, the combo is supposed to be better than sulfnoreas (?sp) alone or metformin alone. I don't know anything about Onglyza (saxagliptin) but the metformin is for insulin resistance and slowly builds up in the system. I haven't had any weight gain with metformin. In fact, shortly after starting it, I lost quite a bit of weight. (I was trying). Hope my experience helps. BTW, if you have had heart problems, talk again to your doctor about he Onglyza. If you are beating along well, don't bother.

Reactions: Nanlou1964

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JT. I also lost weight on metformin, yipee! :)
I was curious to know what people's experience was with komboglyze, good or bad. I was disappointed when my Dr said I would gain weight on insulin & metformin together (using both drugs as treatment). Cheers!

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Seems to me your doctor is either confused, or his clinical experience is with diabetics who eat high carbs along with the insulin, so of course they gain weight.

If one were to eat very low carb, then the amount of insulin needed might be very low - or not needed at all. What I've read on this forum and elsewhere is that metformin doesn't cause weight gain, but actually helps with weight loss, and is often prescribed for the weight loss benefit for non-diabetics.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I would give it a thumbs down.

Saxagliptin is a DPP 4 inhibitor. In simple terms suppression of DPP-4 allows for extended action of other enzymes GLP-1 & GIP which help in insulin production & secretion. Looked at in isolation, this may sound pretty good. However, these enzymes have multiple roles in the body, many of which are yet to be understood. Consequently, many dangerous side effects have been observed.

You could read more here
Saxagliptin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts