The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I saw my GP this morning he ordered some blood tests plus a urine test. I am assuming that the results of the urine test were not something for me to worry about, however I am curious.

Six months ago I had the same tests done and I forgot to ask him what two things meant. My test showed 2+ leukocytes and 2+ protein, random urine. Are these results something I can change, and if so - how do I go about doing that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The leukocytes in your urine might mean a urine infection. Check back with your doctor and see if they did a culture. If you have a UTI, that could cause other abnormal things in the urine like blood or protein. You should have your urine rechecked at a time when there is no infection and discuss the results with your doctor.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just finished a ten day course of Cephalexin because of ingrown toenail surgery I had about a week ago. If I had a UTI wouldn't my blood sugars be elevated? So far they have been quite the opposite - I'm having a lot of lows most of which are below 60. Thank you for caring enough to answer my post - no one else did.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just finished a ten day course of Cephalexin because of ingrown toenail surgery I had about a week ago. If I had a UTI wouldn't my blood sugars be elevated? So far they have been quite the opposite - I'm having a lot of lows most of which are below 60. Thank you for caring enough to answer my post - no one else did.
I'm not sure that there is any correlation between an UTI and Blood Sugar levels.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is my understanding that an infection anywhere in the body can influence blood sugar levels. I know it sure did when I have active ear infection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had mild UTIs that have not made me feel sick or alter my BS, but they showed up in my urine. It is interesting that you have been on an antibiotic. Maybe you have a resistant infection.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Antibiotics for some infections can open the door for OTHER infections to take hold - like yeast infections. Any given antibiotic is not going to give coverage for every bacterial or viral infection.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the answer from the Doctor that I received this morning re: the urine test and culture questions I had. Don't know if I understand anymore now than I did before I sent the question to his office - but anyway this is what he said:

Urine culture was done and shows a small colony growth no infection
White cells or leukocytes would be from outside skin and not bladder

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am glad you didn't have another infection. I think you still should check with your doctor about the protein in your urine.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the 'range' given by the lab who did the test, the protein is within normal range. I also did a lot of searching on the Internet and found several sites including Mayo Clinic, that indicated the particular antibiotic I was on for my foot surgery can influence lab tests to have a false positive outcome. Will definitely keep track of this issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts