The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
No guys I am a newbie & haven't heard oh the GAD can someone please explain?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Why did they give you a GAD Antibody test. Many type 2's have to fight to get them done because they are not routinely done. From the numbers you posted you do look very normal to me. I would continue to test every so often just to catch any bg spikes in the future. The question about the positive results of the test, I'm not sure the answer. As Foxi said many doctors don't believe in the results. Right now the important thing is that your numbers are great. What happens with LADA's is as time goes on their beta cells are attacked by their immune system, so keep a close eye on insulin levels in yearly testing.
I have a seizure disorder and a routine MRI was done several months ago. The doctor reading the MRI suggested testing for Paraneoplastic Limbic Encephalitis (quite a mouthful). The tests for this are antibody tests, and the GAD65 is part of the antibody testing. I have no idea why it is included, but I did have a fasting BG of 142 just prior to having the tests ordered. It's possible the neurologist had it added to the antibody testing because of that. I don't get to see him until early next year but will certainly be asking him about it. I have been playing phone tag with him re the results but so far haven't been able to talk to him personally. My hubby has diabetes two and I have been doing random testing using his equipment and so far some results are a little high but nothing to worry about. My doctor is going to do 6 monthly checks to see if there is any change. She'll just use the current results as a baseline.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The big question is why the autoimmune response and can it be slowed or stopped in time to save beta cells. Response to virus? Trauma? Inflammatory condition? Food allergy? Heavy metal poisoning? Environmental toxins? There are just too many variables without direction from a really good, seasoned endo who has actually seen and treated a lot of this. Got to be able to treat the acute condition first to gain time to figure out the chronic. It's just so awfully tiring! In his book "The Problem of Pain," CS Lewis writes something like: "if only this toothache would go away, I could write more about pain." I know the feeling.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Glad to hear it, Shanny! Illness has the terrible, insidious and diabolical way of endlessly diverting us from our true selves, our true natures and blinds us when peering through the mirror. However much I'd love to see low BGs, low BP, low creatinine, etc., I'd really just love to feel the peace of wellness!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The big question is why the autoimmune response and can it be slowed or stopped in time to save beta cells. Response to virus? Trauma? Inflammatory condition? Food allergy? Heavy metal poisoning? Environmental toxins? There are just too many variables without direction from a really good, seasoned endo who has actually seen and treated a lot of this. Got to be able to treat the acute condition first to gain time to figure out the chronic. It's just so awfully tiring! In his book "The Problem of Pain," CS Lewis writes something like: "if only this toothache would go away, I could write more about pain." I know the feeling.
Well I live in Maine (having moved from Australia 13 years ago) so not sure about the endocrinologists here. It's pretty rural!! I really don't know anything about autoimmune diseases.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Forgive my musings, Koalamoore! I'm afraid I am sometimes in the habit of philosophizing. This week starts a new round of docs including a new endo. I have been completely unable to tolerate the usual meds all of which resulted in very unpleasant side effects. I thought I was keeping BGs pretty low until I scrolled through the reports on this forum and discovered you all are doing much better. I've run out of room for improvement in diet and exercise, so perhaps the next stop is insulin. Yesterday, the doc actually told me to stop exercising until I gain some weight, or at least stop losing. Wonder what will happen to my numbers if I follow that advice? I've been told that any BGs under 180 are "good enough" for a diabetic. Is it true?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Forgive my musings, Koalamoore! I'm afraid I am sometimes in the habit of philosophizing. This week starts a new round of docs including a new endo. I have been completely unable to tolerate the usual meds all of which resulted in very unpleasant side effects. I thought I was keeping BGs pretty low until I scrolled through the reports on this forum and discovered you all are doing much better. I've run out of room for improvement in diet and exercise, so perhaps the next stop is insulin. Yesterday, the doc actually told me to stop exercising until I gain some weight, or at least stop losing. Wonder what will happen to my numbers if I follow that advice? I've been told that any BGs under 180 are "good enough" for a diabetic. Is it true?
'muse' away, lol. I hope your new round of doctors can make you feel 'well' if not cured. Insulin may be the answer too. I work with mentally ill adults and several have diabetes. Insulin does work well for one of our residents, however, he is very uncompliant with diet and exercise so it's a losing battle for him. I can't imagine what would happen if you stopped losing weight - I wasn't aware until just recently that diabetics were not all overweight. Good luck with your appointments.

Judie

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
So very tired tonight. Early to bed and a fresh start in the morning. Supposed to have sun and warm weather tomorrow. Winter chills come early in Connecticut. Would be nice for them to delay a bit longer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts