The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the accu-check multiclix lancet , and I know this is going to sound cheap, but the way it works, is you insert the barrel into the lancet, press down on the button on the end (like a pen) and then press it up against a finger and press the small release button, that causes the needle to shoot out and draw blood... now I know I am suppose to twist the handle to switch to another needle and I'm ready to use it next time, but my question is, really is there any harm reusing the same needle more then once? will it throw off the readings? I don't see the harm in it, because I'm the only one who uses it and its safely stored away...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Don:

No, you do not have to change the lancet each time. The minority of People do. Many People change it once a week or every 2 weeks or once a month. I've known People who change it every 3 months. I change mine once a month. I do use a swab to clean it before I put it away. I don't think it makes any difference as you say, as far as your blood sugar reading being harmed or changed because of this practice..

B

·
0 Posts
I like That Idea.. But @ $2.09 per 100, Is It Worth It..!?

Seeing I'm new to the diabetes scene I recently supplied myself with additional strips and lancets. Presently I'm using Bayer Microlet silicone coated lancets which cost me $2.09 per a box of 100, with the regular price being $13.16

The question now is.. "Is it really worth it to re-use them when it's only costing me 2 cents each?" At 2 checks per day it comes out to approx $1.00 per month. So.. "What Say You?"

Breeze 2 user

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to agree with Breeze 2 User.
Of all the supplies required for monitoring our diabetes; lancets are the least costly.
Most; if not all; lancets are coated with silicone to aid in making a cleaner and less painful puncture.
And that silicone will be worn off after repeated use.

Is the nearly unmeasurable cost savings of reusing lancets really worth the risk of more irritating punctures causing calloused fingers ? Or to a lesser possibility; infections ?

Just my .02

--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There comes a time in some folks' lives when 2¢ a day is no longer a negligible expense. Times when people cannot even give gifts to their own children for Christmas, birthdays, etc. Those times come when medical expenses are eating up their fixed monthly income before the end of the month arrives. Times when the cheapest strips available still cost $40 a box, it's entirely out-of-pocket, and a box only lasts you about two weeks. Times when insurance companies negotiate loopholes in coverage whereby they may continue to collect premiums, but no longer pay the bill they contracted to cover (this is the Medicare Part D "donut hole", for you younger folks who haven't experienced such legal larceny thus far.) Two cents a day may be only $7 a year, but over here that $7 will get you a professional haircut as opposed to using a home set of clippers to mow it off yourself (yes, that's what we do).

(sorry for the rant)

B

·
0 Posts
Didn't Think About It That Way..!

Sorry Shanny..

I apologize if I offended anyone with my post. It wasn't ment to be that way. I didn't think about the situation you just spoke about. There wasn't any harm intended. It was just my thoughts. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No offense taken, Breeze . . . we're as surprised as everyone else to find ourselves in this situation and it takes it's toll on one's pride! Not that we were ever flush, but we had enough to go around.

We try to let our kids and others know that any of us can be closer to the edge than we realize. Things that we have no control over can upset our carefully constructed plans, just like 2008 took a bulldozer to our finances. At least our home is paid for & we heat it with free firewood - cut on our own property by my own husband. We won't be homeless and we won't be cold! (what's the song say? They can't take that away from me . . .? ;) )

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Multiclix Lancing Device

I just happened to come across this device while shopping on the net. I was going to purchase the item. I have only read the one review on here. Does anyone else use this? I don't like to fumble with lancets. I use another device where you don't have to touch the lancets, but I like to try new things.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
As an extreme needle-phobic, I love the multiclik. I've nothing to compare it to, but it's so easy, and not seeing or handling a needle is huge to me.

I'm also surprised how painless it is - sometimes I don't even feel it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only change lancets when they start to abnormally hurt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just like everything else with diabetes, the "professional" opinons are a plenty, and not all of them make sense. Whne I got diagnosed the med student actually told me to take the cap off the lancet and use it that way.. I didn't know any better and it wasnt untill my husband read the instructions that I found out I had been told wrong.

The med student said to change them every month..
The instructions said change it everytime..
The pharmacist says once a day..

Me? I change them when I remember to lol (usually 2-3 a week) It usualy clicks in my brain that it needs to be changed when I notice an OUCH that hurt when I test.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to change mine whenever I felt like it (usually every 3 days or so) although now that I'm testing more frequently I change it every evening before bed when I'm prepping my supplies for the next day. To avoid any callousing I just rotate fingers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts