The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, for me, this is about the worse part of having dibetes. I hate sticking myself over and over in the fingers with a lance. I have two devices and I hate them equally, the one that came with my OneTouch and another from my ReliOn meter kit. Also, the lances I bought at Walgreens seem a hair bigger than the trial ones that came with my ReliOn. I found that I need to use the max needle depth on both of them to get enough blood.

Are some lances better than others? Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" lancing device?

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! How old is this method?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm a really poor one to comment on lancing, because my old paws have been sliced, diced, singed & seared so many hundreds of times through the years of kitchen duty (ten of those in a production kitchen). I don't even rotate fingers anymore - my left thumb is always the handiest so it gets jabbed for every test. Truth is, it's the one that got nine sutures years ago when I sliced into it while sharpening my chef knife . . . the 1/2" scar is still there & the only rotating I do is jumping back/forth across the scar. :rolleyes: Come to think of it, that scarred side is prob'ly numb, which is why it works so well! heheh! and it bleeds readily - never a problem getting enough blood - 'course I just leave the setting at the deepest, since I'm not feeling it anyhow . . . and it closes up instantly too, so I'm never leaving tracks on my clothes or the upholstery . . .

I did buy a box of the smallest size ReliOn lancets last year - 32 gauge - and it'll prob'ly last the rest of my life . . .

Actually, for me, this is about the worse part of having dibetes. I hate sticking myself over and over in the fingers with a lance. I have two devices and I hate them equally, the one that came with my OneTouch and another from my ReliOn meter kit. Also, the lances I bought at Walgreens seem a hair bigger than the trial ones that came with my ReliOn. I found that I need to use the max needle depth on both of them to get enough blood.

Are some lances better than others? Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" lancing device?

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll vote for the ultra thin Reli-on lancets too. I always test on my left hand... right side of left thumb, left side of left pinky and my most used is both sides of my left ring finger. I kept having to poke twice to get a real drop from my index and middle fingers. In about 700 tests, I've never tried my right hand - I always hold the lancet with it. The weird thing I noticed is that it hurts more if I hit a spot that doesn't give a good drop.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm a really poor one to comment on lancing, because my old paws have been sliced, diced, singed & seared so many hundreds of times through the years of kitchen duty (ten of those in a production kitchen). I don't even rotate fingers anymore - my left thumb is always the handiest so it gets jabbed for every test.
I'm with you Shanny - but I call mine "garden hands". Roses, chicken wire, ceanothus, bouganvillea.....no thorn-ridden plant or sharp piece of wire is too much for these glove-deprived digits:D. I always use the fingers of my left hand (at least 9 tests a day).

The only advice I can give, Thad, is to use the highest gauge lancet you can find and try to avoid the pads of your fingers; use the sides if you can. Also, you can use alternative testing sites (palms, thighs, etc.) but keep in mind that the reading will lag reality by about 15 or 20 minutes due to the interstitial fluid under the skin in those areas. I've not been successful drawing blood from those spots but I know many people can.

Jen

·
Registered
46 Posts
The RN in the DE classes I took suggested really going toward the side of the finger, just about 1/8 inch from the finger nail. she SAID that most people have a lot of luck there and no pain.

Wellllll...I tried it in front of her, with her saying YES that is the spot...well I 'bout slapped her a good one after I did it...hurt like he!!!

My middle or finger finger seem best, I also only use my left hand. Trial and error helped me find the places that are best for no pain.

**side note** Does anyone else get really ticked off at the commercials for some of these meters?? They are said to cause less pain because they need less blood. They never seem to realize that whether you need a tiny drop or a small drop, it is still BLOOD :eek:...you still have to BLEED...so you still have to poke??!!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I dont really notice the difference between any of the lancets, they all seem about the same to me. What I would suggest, wash your hands with very warm water before you poke, then poke along the side of the finger and gently squeeze while the finger is still warm. Should bleed *very* well then.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

No opinions on the "best" device? Are the fancy ones worth the money? :confused:

No comments on the poor guy using that old school tester? I almost passed out when I saw how much blood he needed for a reading. LOL It's amazing how far we've come with testing. My ReliOn needs only a VERY small drop...that's my favorite feature about it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've only tried the reli-on and the bayer. I don't like the bayer at all.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks everyone!

No opinions on the "best" device? Are the fancy ones worth the money? :confused:

No comments on the poor guy using that old school tester? I almost passed out when I saw how much blood he needed for a reading. LOL It's amazing how far we've come with testing. My ReliOn needs only a VERY small drop...that's my favorite feature about it!
That one is actually *very* old...I used one just like it YEARS ago!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm still using the lancing device that came with my original One Touch meter. Got one with the One Touch Ultra that I don't like as well, but I keep it just in case Old Faithful ever jumps the shark.

Jen

·
Registered
213 Posts
I test 3-4 times a day and alternate hands each day. I go towards the sides of the fingers, as recommended. I find if I press really hard while I lance, there is little or no pain, just the feeling of getting a knock in that area.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That one is actually *very* old...I used one just like it YEARS ago!
I bet you like the new meters a LOT then! :D

If I had to use that much blood, I'd be crying everytime I tested. I clot quickly and it's tough enough getting 3 microliters. :eek:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks folks! I guess there's no magic lancing device on the market. :(

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Maybe its just because I have been doing it for so long, but I a a really good bleeder! It is very rare that I have to poke more than once. And yes, the new lancets and meters are way better than the dinosaurs I used to use! I can even remember the old clinitest tablets to check if you were spilling sugar in your urine...man...I am really old...bummer...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe its just because I have been doing it for so long, but I a a really good bleeder! It is very rare that I have to poke more than once. And yes, the new lancets and meters are way better than the dinosaurs I used to use! I can even remember the old clinitest tablets to check if you were spilling sugar in your urine...man...I am really old...bummer...
Old? You look like you're in your 20's in that avatar pic?! Or...is that your daughter? LOL :p

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
oh you are my new best friend! I was 42 years old when that pic was taken. Its about 2 years old I guess now....geez...I really need to change it

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have only had 2 Lancets so for both came with the one Touch ultra Mini. I think it is the one you are using also but,

I will say that I like the second one that they apparently came out with a little more. The Lancets are Thinner. The old one is a straight black cylinder but the new one looks like it is modeled after a pin up model and is Black and Blue

I have been thinking of trying a Rubberband on my finger to see if i can use a lower setting

·
Registered
5 Posts
re:Anyone use these?

I use and love the MultiClix.

The best thing is that there are NO NEEDLES EXPOSED except during
the pricking part. No getting pricked by mistake inserting or removing the lancet. PLUS there are 6 lancets loaded at one time (in a small cartridge) [Sold in packages of 102 lancets, 17 cartridges of 6 each].
The whole device is about the size of a normal lancing device.

It was a lot less painful for me than other devices I have tried over the past 26 years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts