The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am the father of 12 year old boy just diagnosed with Type 1 about 3 weeks ago. He just entered the honeymoon phase with a vengeance. His pancreas must be giving its last hooray. He came out of the hospital with a 38 unit lantis dose, tonight he is instructed to take 23. His fasting BS has been under 70 all week. Today he actually hit 47, and hasnt had any fast acting insulin today. Im just a little worried hes going to be real low in the morning. I guess I will set my alarm for 3 am. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello, I am the father of 12 year old boy just diagnosed with Type 1 about 3 weeks ago. He just entered the honeymoon phase with a vengeance. His pancreas must be giving its last hooray. He came out of the hospital with a 38 unit lantis dose, tonight he is instructed to take 23. His fasting BS has been under 70 all week. Today he actually hit 47, and hasnt had any fast acting insulin today. Im just a little worried hes going to be real low in the morning. I guess I will set my alarm for 3 am. Stay tuned.
Keep glucose tablets or some type of fast acting carbs with you and in his room. They can be a lifesaver!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orange juice on the way to room now. Im really worried about the morning, Im not gonna get much sleep tonight.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Orange juice on the way to room now. Im really worried about the morning, Im not gonna get much sleep tonight.
And don't be afraid to call 911 if his sugar doesn't come up. A good rule of thumb is to take 15 and wait 15 and test, if still low repeat, but if it continues to fall then he might need a shot of Glucagon. The next time you meet with Riley's doctor ask for a script for Glucagon. You store it in the fridge and usually lasts a year. Orange juice doesn't bring my blood sugar up very fast. I rely on the 8oz cans of Pepsi or Coke. You will just have to test to see what works best for you.

If you are worried about the morning, take a peanut butter sandwich with you when he wakes up. Just chalk up tonight as a sleepness night with a good reason! You can make up the sleep. Once again, good luck.

There is usually someone always online here, send out an SOS if you need help, that is what we are here for!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts