The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide a link to a page listing the factors that affect whether Lantus does actually last 24 hours.

The company won't provide any help as they insist on their marketing that it lasts 24 hours as this is/was their Unique Selling Point.
Saying that basically everyone needs 2 injections of it would have lead to the obvious question of what's the point of it then?

Also are there any similar factors that effect how much this "peakless" insulin peaks?
I'm going with some sites that say:
  1. It takes 2 hours to start working
  2. It peaks a little at 6 hours
  3. It trails off in the last couple of hours

The best you seem to get is that "it doesn't last 24h in some individuals".

Possible factors I'm looking in to:
  • Dose size
  • Injection site (buttock)
  • Weight
I understand that the best bet is to test my basal dose, but it would be helpful to know whether you fit into the groups that are effected.

(I'll raise my further questions as separate threads)

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Don't have a link for you - but you might consider investing in a book or two. The one I have is Dr. Richard K Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" where he discusses various insulins, including Lantus. He suggests that it starts acting slowly over 4 hours and the effect lasts up to 18 hours if the injection is in the morning but only 8 or 9 hours if taken at bedtime. He also suggests that intramuscular injection will act faster than subcutaneous.

There are other books on the use of insulin on the market. One I have heard mentioned several times is "Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin (Marlowe Diabetes Library)" - available on Amazon. I haven't got that one since I'm fortunate enough not to need insulin at present but you might want to consider either of these.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been on Lantus before breakfast for some years now, with Humalog (lispro) before meals. Mostly, I have found it lasts the full 24 hours. But during several months while I was developing polymyalgia rheumatica I found I had to 'stack' the dose approximately 50:50 am and pm. Instead of my stable 4-6 mmol/l at bed time and before breakfast, I was getting a sharp rise in BG between 4am and 8am, from around 4-5 mmol/l to 8-10mmol/l. Then I split the dose into the 2 approx equal parts. When the corticosteroid treatment started working on the polymyalgia I found I could gradually return to my once per day injection.

I inject on the outer upper part of my buttock and I don't carry any excess body fat (my BMI is 23). I have not noticed any big drop in my BG around mid morning that I could say is definitely due to a peak in Lantus' action rather than to me being busy.

Basically, your milage may vary.

Steve

·
Banned
26 Posts
I have taken Lantus for a long time (10Years or more) . I have never had a problem with it peaking. I inject at 7a.m. 40 units.. serves me well. I do use Humalog as a bolas insulin. I have injected insulin for 42 years.....

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
My current doctor was one of the doctors who participated on the Lantus trials- disclosure: I take 20 units of Lantus twice a day and currently have no need for fast/rapid acting insulins.

At my last checkup, which was two weeks ago, he told me that during the trials they discovered that Lantus worked best when the desired dosage was split into two injections. They could be equal or unbalanced or equally spaced or offset, all according to the patient's needs.

We are still trying to determine what's best for me since I am having mid-morning lows.

I hope I made things as clear as mud. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll update this one again when I'm futher down the line of knowing exactly how mine's working.

I still think there's a lot the the company know that they should be made to disclose on the leaflet, website, prescribing guide etc.
What may be worse though, is the health professionals who seem to (in my experience) lack the basic knowledge of the drugs they're prescribing.

I do wonder if the peak is not noticed by many because they're taking it at a time when the peak counteracts the dawn phenomenon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts