The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help - I have been taking Lantus, use ALOT - 4 vials month - works great but price increased $65 last refill! Pharmacist suggests Humulin N as comparable - is almost 1/2 the price ($274 versus $472 for the 4 vials) yet doctor is hesitant to change prescription and causing more bills by having me go for consult appointments. I have $2500 deductible to meet until any insurance assists - so must cut costs - any ideas/directions would be much appreciated in this dilemma.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Don't really know as I use Levemir, but my personal opinion is:

I use to self medicate with Humulin N and at Walmart it cost me $25 (ReliOn Lilly) without a prescription or $51 (lilly) with a prescription. I find that 3 shots a day of Humulin N works just as well at the same daily dose as 2 shots of Levemir.

If you can tolerate Metformin it can cut your basal insulin requirement up to half.

Hope this helps.

ColaJim

Looking for help - I have been taking Lantus, use ALOT - 4 vials month - works great but price increased $65 last refill! Pharmacist suggests Humulin N as comparable - is almost 1/2 the price ($274 versus $472 for the 4 vials) yet doctor is hesitant to change prescription and causing more bills by having me go for consult appointments. I have $2500 deductible to meet until any insurance assists - so must cut costs - any ideas/directions would be much appreciated in this dilemma.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We also have a high deductible, $11,000. I am trying to stay off insulin because of the price. I find with the maximum amount of metformin and a very low carb diet it is possible. When I have to go on Insulin I will either use the NPH at Walmart or get it in Canada. We now buy a lot of our expensive meds in Canada through an online pharmacy. Just google Northwest Pharmacy in British Columbia. We just fax them the Rx and pay online. The insulin prices look very competitive.

Reactions: whymeworry

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just looked at the price listed for 3 vials of Lantus and it is $225 approximately. It might be worth looking into if you can save some money.

NorthWestPharmacy.com

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: ColaJim's comment on price of Humulin N $55 vs: Relion (Walmart brand name) Humulin N' @ $25 without a perscription.

The Relion $25 insulin (Eli Lilly Manufacturer) I get is exactly the same, box etc. as the $55 I was getting. Please inquire about this at your doctor or Wal-Mart pharmacy if you are still paying the higher price. This can make a real cost difference if you are on a medicare part D perscription plan.

This is no difference in the insulin. I 1st saw this in an unrelated story about Wal-Mart & Lilly making a deal. They also offer the Regular insulin like this also. Wish they would make a deal on Humalog.

I am a newbie, so this may be discussed in another forum, but is extremely important for us senior citizens. God Bless us all!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I too use insulin from walmart..

I pay 24.90

It used to be humulin 70/30. they recently called and said my perscription was filled but it was now novolin 70/30 because of a new manufacterer, however the box still says Eli Lilly its just novolin instead of humulin. It is still 24.90

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't used mine yet, so I don't know if it'll help... but Sanofi has a Lantus assistance program through the Lantus website. If you haven't done it, it will likely help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts