The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your own personal experience with Lantus do you find that it does indeed have peaks?
I do. The Dr. says no it has no peaks. The company says no it has no peaks but as a user I find that it certainly does.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I have read of people splitting their dose.

Are you sure it is not your own physiologic insulin, kicking in? I have a low point just before lunch, for instance ... judging from other readings, that is typical.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
According to my doc, who in the clinical trials, it has a drop off at about 18 hours so he has me split my dose to avoid this.

For those who do split there is a period where one drops and one ratchets up that may account for the "lunch low". My theory only so don't hold me to that one.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My doc says it has a peek and I am starting to split my dose to help with DP So fat DP is improving.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are too many factors to know for sure. You can fast for a day to get dialed in a bit on dosage levels, and can watch the peaks and valleys form, but you cannot know what is happening with your liver glucose. It is a certainty that Lantus runs out with me at about the 20 hour mark. I was making up for it for a while with a higher supper bolus, but I finally split the dose in two and it has worked well for me. I tend to get low early in the night and then get higher toward morning. I have always attributed this to Lantus, but some or all of this could be Liver variability. Not sure how you would ever know, without fitting yourself with a pump and fiddling with the program until you got it leveled out (you might die of starvation doing it).:eek:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I take 8 units Lantus in the morning.
If I eat lunch earlier than normal or eat dinner later than normal there will be a periode where my BG drops right under 4 right before dinner. I usually check my BG when I start to make the dinner, an if it is a little low I just take a piece of raw carrot or something. Just a piece of carrot and my BG will balance again.:D
I like Lantus better than Insulatard which I used before.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I take 8 units Lantus in the morning.
If I eat lunch earlier than normal or eat dinner later than normal there will be a periode where my BG drops right under 4 right before dinner. I usually check my BG when I start to make the dinner, an if it is a little low I just take a piece of raw carrot or something. Just a piece of carrot and my BG will balance again.:D
I like Lantus better than Insulatard which I used before.
Welcome back Optimist! Where the heck you been? We missed you (well, I did anyway).
When I took Lantus years ago it never really gave me any kind of lows, and really didn't lower my bg's that much. I unfortunately didn't know about LCHF WOE at that time, but I was taking more than 100 units and it still wasn't bringing me any lower than mid 200's to low 300's. :(:confused: I'm now trying to find the right amount of Levemir along with the Humalog. It is such a balancing act:(

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Dr. says no it has no peaks. The company says no it has no peaks but as a user I find that it certainly does.
I'm curious about your peaks on Lantus. What dose are you using and when does it peak? (The size of the dose seems to make a huge difference.)

Lantus seems to have more differences with different users than any other insulin. During the daytime it is stable for me at a low dose, 5 units. At night lately, 5 units hardly last 6 hours, so that's not very good.

I've switched to Levemir for the night time dose, but that definitely does have a peak, starting about 2 hours after injection.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome back Optimist! Where the heck you been? We missed you (well, I did anyway).
When I took Lantus years ago it never really gave me any kind of lows, and really didn't lower my bg's that much. I unfortunately didn't know about LCHF WOE at that time, but I was taking more than 100 units and it still wasn't bringing me any lower than mid 200's to low 300's. :(:confused: I'm now trying to find the right amount of Levemir along with the Humalog. It is such a balancing act:(
I`m sorry I haven`t been here much lately, but it is quite busy to be me those days. In december I had 3 visits to the hospital ( it is 3-4 hours to drive to the hospital) and many visits to the doctor. Now in january I`ve already been 2 trips to the hospital and have 3 more to go.
I`ve lost more of my vision; has only 15% left totally. They are now checking my pituitary to see if there is a tumor which makes my vision disappear. I think I hope they find something they can fix so I can keep whats left of my vision.
I`ve also got breathing problems since my goiter has grown inside and make a pressure on my throat. And then my thyriodeaproblems have starting give me cramps in the chest.
I`ve decided this year has to be a better year than last year:D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Oh Optimist, I agree - 2012 has =got= to be better. I'm so sorry about your hospital visits and all your challenges - you should get Frequent Driver miles for all those trips.

Here's hoping the best for preserving the rest of your vision. Please let us know the results of the test ..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh Optimist, I agree - 2012 has =got= to be better. I'm so sorry about your hospital visits and all your challenges - you should get Frequent Driver miles for all those trips.

Here's hoping the best for preserving the rest of your vision. Please let us know the results of the test ..
:hug:
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh Optimist...I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems you have had lately! I will pray for your vision loss to be delayed, if not stopped. You poor thing! That is really far to have to go to the hospital! Goodness. You certainly were very busy to be you in December. But yet your screen name is Optimist....I hope some of that optimism will rub off on me! I will certainly send you good vibes and many many prayers of healing for you. Take care of yourself! Hugs!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I`m sorry I haven`t been here much lately, but it is quite busy to be me those days. In december I had 3 visits to the hospital ( it is 3-4 hours to drive to the hospital) and many visits to the doctor. Now in january I`ve already been 2 trips to the hospital and have 3 more to go.
I`ve lost more of my vision; has only 15% left totally. They are now checking my pituitary to see if there is a tumor which makes my vision disappear. I think I hope they find something they can fix so I can keep whats left of my vision.
I`ve also got breathing problems since my goiter has grown inside and make a pressure on my throat. And then my thyriodeaproblems have starting give me cramps in the chest.
I`ve decided this year has to be a better year than last year:D
((((Optimist))))

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh Optimist...I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems you have had lately! I will pray for your vision loss to be delayed, if not stopped. You poor thing! That is really far to have to go to the hospital! Goodness. You certainly were very busy to be you in December. But yet your screen name is Optimist....I hope some of that optimism will rub off on me! I will certainly send you good vibes and many many prayers of healing for you. Take care of yourself! Hugs!
((((Optimist))))

Thanks!
As long as I am not in big pain and I have my wonderful family, pets and friends around me, I just have to look on the bright sides of life. My health issues is just irritating, many peaople has it much harder.
If I start to feel sorry for myself, I just think about all those with a really hard life, and then my troubles seems smaller somehow :grouphug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts