The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering switching to Lantus, after spiking up to 159 after what I considered a small snack (and therefore had not bolused for it, and ended up using 8U in corrections over my evening!). My Levemir just wears off too early, and I have had poor luck with trying to split the dose -- just running high the entire time ...

So -- if you have tried both, which have you stayed on, and why?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry, foxl, but I've only ever been on Lantus. There have been days when I think it wears off after 20-22 hours, though. Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was on lantus and the weight gain was crazy...that's why I switched to levemir...

From what I read it is a straight switch as far as dose goes...I didn't find that to be true...I have to use a hell of a lot more levemir and I split the dose and that didn't work...one night by accident I took a double dose of levemir and it worked a charm...

I'm not sure that helps...

·
Registered
741 Posts
seriously I tried everything....3 x a day...nothing worked until I doubled the dose...its perfect now :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
well no expert by any means, but I do know for a fact that since I have been on Lantus I can't lose weight. I lost a few lbs & then it just stopped. If I wasn't on Lantus I would have lost a ton of weight by now. 45/60 carbs per day. Low Low carb's.

For me My ## are not great either. I am all over the place. Up then down. Haven't been over 150 in a while tho.. Guess thats good lol.
I upped my dose to 25un at bedtime. seems I am a wee bit lower in the am.

I am not much help. sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi.

I'm assuming you only inject Levemir once a day

Levemir usually lasts for 12-16 hours and in no way as long as Lantus.

Maybe you should try a second Levemir injection.

I'm type 1 and initially was put on Lantus once daily. It was not able to keep my fasting BG below 200 so I switched to Levemir. Levemir has a little bit of a peak actually. Maybe you should ask your doctor about trying a 2nd Levemir shot.

Best,
Julian

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried a second levemir injection and somehow I just ran HIGH and felt hungry all day ... even on a very low dose! (10U total). I got frustrated and gave up.

I do know people who succeed with 2 or even 3 injections of it, per day, but it did not seem to work for me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I tried a second levemir injection and somehow I just ran HIGH and felt hungry all day ... even on a very low dose! (10U total). I got frustrated and gave up.

I do know people who succeed with 2 or even 3 injections of it, per day, but it did not seem to work for me.
*nods* I tried every concoction of times and splitting doses...nothing helped...the only thing that worked for me was taking double the dose at the same time...freaky but true...

·
Registered
741 Posts
sounds like a good plan!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Foxl, I've had experience with Lantus in the past. I gained ALOT of weight using Lantus and it did not do much to control my numbers. I am now on Levemir, which to be honest I'm still upping because I cannot get my fbg's in the range they need to be. I've recently tried splitting in two shots; 1/2 in AM and 1/2 at bedtime. That isn't doing much either, so I think I'll go back to the one shot at bedtime. I am currently taking 54 units and still raising it every few days. We'll see if it works. I also bolus with Humalog, and still working that one too. It's a balancing act for sure. I initially gained only 8 lbs with the Levemir, but I've already lost 5 or 6 of those pounds pretty quickly, so the Levemir is better for me because I do not want to gain 50 lbs. again!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't help you with any experience of using Levemir. But before I started on the pump I used Lantus and have plenty of experience with that. Unfortunately it did NOT last 24 hours for me...ever! I found out early on with it that Lantus ran out for me at the 14-16 hour mark. Tried telling that to the Doctor and he thought I was nuts. Also told the same thing to my CDE and he said "I'm not surprised as many people have the same problem. Let's try dividing your TDD into two injections and see how that works." We tried an even 50/50 split but that didn't seem to work well as I went hypo in the morning.

Then the CDE suggested a 30/70 split which worked much better for me. Everyone is different and if you switch to Lantus - you may need to play around with the doses and/or the timing of the doses.

Since you are type 1, have you ever considered the pump?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Strawberry, I had not ... but my endo brought it up to me at my last visit.

Thing is, I still think of the pump as being a "last resort" which is ridiculous, I know.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Strawberry, I had not ... but my endo brought it up to me at my last visit.

Thing is, I still think of the pump as being a "last resort" which is ridiculous, I know.
No, it isn't ridiculous. The pump is not for everyone. Until you want one for yourself, don't let anyone twist your arm to make you see things 'their' way. I can only speak for myself, but the pump has made life a lot easier as far as diabetes management. While on MDI the number of injections I had per day really "got" to me. Being a chicken that I am, when offered the option of having a pump that would almost eliminate injections, then I decided that I wanted to try it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts