The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a good appointment with my dr today. He started out by saying my labs were really bad!! I said no possible way!! He was kidding..... and here are the results.....drum roll...

Today's numbers
A1c: 4.4!!!
FBG: 93
Estimated avg glucose = 73
Cholesterol: 231
Tryglycerides: 120
HDL: 68
LDL: 139

So there is an opening in the 5% club for someone!! :D

12/10/12 numbers:
A1c: 5.0 (It was 5.1% in Feb at one year anniversary.)
FBG: 82
Estimated avg glucose 92
Cholesterol: 221
Tryglycerides: 337 (as I suspected, this # was probably due to steroids)
HDL: 46
LDL: 108

The dr said my A1c was too low! I disagreed and said it was at the low end of normal. He said I was wrong, but right there on the lab printout it says: Range 4.4 - 6.4. He wanted to take me off the metformin, but I said I'd rather keep taking it for its other benefits. We compromised on dropping down to just 500mg/day. But he kept my rx @ 2 per day if I wanted 2.

My AST & ALT were high but all he said was we'll watch them.

My THS was high @ 8.790 so he ordered T4 Total, T4 Free, and TSH. He said the number could just be an anomaly, but he ordered them to be sure. Had that done while I was there so should hear in a few days maybe if something is going on there.

He also did a urinalysis. All was clear, no problems. I showed 2+ Ketones, but the dr didn't say anything about them which sort of surprised me.

He didn't ask anything about what I was doing, guess he is just going to turn a blind eye to the LC/HF and claim no knowledge. :D

I haven't gone over everything in detail, these are the highlights!! What it tells me is that I can loosen up a bit when I am visiting my kids!!

Oh and he doesn't want to see every 6 months any more. Just once a year!

Another cool thing is that the hospital now has a program called MyChart where we can view our health records online. It is all new and no one there even know quite how it works. I am going to go check it out right now.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Way to go, grammaB! Woo Hoo!

Reactions: grammaB

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TTM, moon, Pat, David, and fangirl. Just shows that being really strict does pay off!!

I think I showed a little too much enthusiasm when he read off the 4.4. His reply that it was too low didn't phase me a bit!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
well I been away a while but thats great news to come back to!! Congrats Miss B!!! way to go!!!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Really impressive !!! And a well deserved congrats. Hope that the next time around the TG will be in 2 digits too. I would consider getting rid of the met now, but that is just me.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Really impressive !!! And a well deserved congrats. Hope that the next time around the TG will be in 2 digits too. I would consider getting rid of the met now, but that is just me.
Thanks! The trigs are coming down, I'm not too worried about them. I don't plan on getting rid of the met completely at any time. The cancers and Alzheimer's that it potentially protects from are all over in my family and I'll take all the help I can get to avoid those!!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
The large and fluffy ones are the LDL that you are talking about. The TGs are to be lowered as much as possible, whatever the shape & size.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The large and fluffy ones are the LDL that you are talking about. The TGs are to be lowered as much as possible, whatever the shape & size.
Right, I had a brain fart confusing the two and was correcting my post when you posted this.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
These are fabulous results & I'm glad to told your doc 'no possible way!' Heheh! After all you've been through, you so deserve this!

Sorry to be so late to the party, but was locked out for over 48 hours & am just so happy to finally be back to wish you congratulations. ((((Barbara))))

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Wow, awesome! Is that Cleveland Clinic's My Chart? I have my PCP on a My Chart through them. You'll love it. If they're using the same one, you'll be able to track previous blood test results from each time you went, make comparisons, see doctor notes, etc.

Have a great time on your upcoming trip!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
YAY!!!! What an amazing job!!! That was Gold Star incredible work!! Your A1C and the rest are better than an Olympic athlete! Your doctor should have been PROUD and used you as a reference to other diabetics. They should be trying to save lives here!

Nicely done, gramma (And happy belated birthday!!). Best news ever! :D

·
Registered
792 Posts
That's wonderful!! Very inspirational.

Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone!! I am so glad my hard work got the results it did! I was worrying about the chol/trigs/hdl/ldl since last test and hoping lc/hf would really be kicked in by this test and I guess it really did!! :) I have no doubt the trigs will come down in time too as I don't plan to loosen up on anything at any point in the foreseeable future (except for the next week while visiting family in CA).

Got my results today on the thyroid retesting:
T4, total 8.8 range 4.8-13.9
TSH 1.940 range 0.340-4.820

So all is well there!

@Mary, I suspect MyChart is a generic program that many different hospitals use. Mine is through Providence Medical Group the addy says mychartwa.providence so I am guessing the headquarters for the group may be in WA state. It is still really new and nobody seems to know much about how it works yet. It uploaded yesterdays thyroid results right away, and last Dec tests are there but the ones from Monday still aren't there...... It looks like it is really going to be great!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Great work! Welcome to the 4% club! :) When I got my 4.7 A1C my doctor cautioned me that I only had to keep my BG after meals under 180. I just nodded and smiled and kept on keeping it under 140, THE POINT WHERE DAMAGE STARTS HAPPENING. LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts