The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,660 Posts
MarcyMetalsmith said:
...The last week I've been doing at first under 50 carbs a day, now under 30. And my levels are down under 200 now, (they were 250-300 at first). But I seem to hover in the 150 ish range. Does it take a while for your levels to drop when they've been so high? Should mine already be much lower? I've been walking 1-2 times a day (I'm working up to more, but have previously been very inactive) for approx 30 minutes each. Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to go even lower carb than 30?
Thirty grams of carbs a day should be good. Your liver may still be converting stored glycogen to glucose to keep your BG levels up where it's been. That should take care of itself as you slowly deplete the stores. Make sure you not guilty of eating too much protein. Protein is broken down to amino acids and excess is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver. I'm still guilty of doing this on occasion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How much would be too much? I wasn't aware I needed to watch that. I'm sure I've been eating a lot. I usually have scrambled eggs for breakfast, tuna salad or Caesar salad for lunch, and chicken and a salad for dinner. Plus a couple of ounces of sunflower seeds scattered throughout the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,394 Posts
And on the subject of protein, here is where all the arguments against LC/HF or ketogenic food plans go astray: Naysayers insist our bodies need carbs to provide the glucose required by some few 5% of functions (mostly brain). What they refuse to acknowledge is that our bodies are smart enough to convert protein to glucose when necessary. Even if we never swallow another bite of carbohydrate, our brains will operate at peak efficiency because we continue to eat protein in small amounts. And their arguments that fruit and grains are required nutrients? Another thing they refuse to acknowledge is that all the nutrients found in fruits/grains are also found in low carb foods such as fatty fish, dark leafy greens, and many more.

There's nothing dangerous about LC/HF, and we have plenty of very healthy people here who prove that statement. :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,660 Posts
MarcyMetalsmith said:
How much would be too much? I wasn't aware I needed to watch that. I'm sure I've been eating a lot. I usually have scrambled eggs for breakfast, tuna salad or Caesar salad for lunch, and chicken and a salad for dinner. Plus a couple of ounces of sunflower seeds scattered throughout the day.
.75-1.0 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body weight if not real active, up to 1.3 if active, and more if body building. That would be ~ 38-50 grams if you weigh 50 kg or 110 lbs. in the inactive case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
.75-1.0 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body weight if not real active, up to 1.3 if active, and more if body building. That would be ~ 38-50 grams if you weigh 50 kg or 110 lbs. in the inactive case.
Thank you! I don't think I've been going over that. I have an app that I've been logging my meals in, and according to that I haven't been going over that amount for the few days I checked.
 

·
Diabetic
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
It can be all too confusing in the beginning. IMO right now, you & your husband should just concentrate on reduction of carbs and experience the thrill of losing weight. Once you are close to target weight, you can start concentrating on the protein bit, because at that time you will experience a stall in the weight loss & that would be the time to focus on what more to tweak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
In response to original question . . .

I'm new to this website, please excuse any errors in procedure. However, I was entertained by the comments about dieticians, etc. In my experience, I finally went to a "diabetes educator" who told me most of the same things about being able to eat carb counts that would send my numbers through the roof.

However, she also was employed by a pharmaceutical company that makes insulin, she is an insulin salesperson. There is the answer. It just makes me ill. I tried insulin and gained 20 pounds in a month.

I am now following a book called "The Diabetic Miracle" by Diane Kress, going through an 8 week detox of my liver and pancreas whereby I eat no more than 5 carbs at a time, every 5 hours. My #s were in the 300's previously but since I started LCHF I have not been higher than 160 after meals.

I also believe coconut oil has been a lifesaver, although I'm currently going through some difficulty getting it down. 3 TBSP per day is the only thing that got me through the original sugar/flour detox, I have not been clean maybe ever until now and tomorrow I've succeeded for 3 weeks.

I also started back on Victoza at about the same time I began LCHF. I'm not crazy about it, but have lost 9 pounds. I do not like the feeling of nausea nor the loss of energy and would prefer to come off meds entirely, the other I take being Metformin 2x/day.

In other words, you're not crazy at all, you're a smart chick:loco:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I'm new to diabetes, and as I've only had one fasting test that said by blood sugar was at 128, I'm not even sure if I have diabetes or prediabetes or just a bad test. How do I decide if I'm supposed to go the traditional route of low carb and a basically balanced diet, or lc/hf? I'd like to get this right from the getgo if possible. Seems like lc/hf may work for some but it's a more untraditional approach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
How do I decide if I'm supposed to go the traditional route of low carb and a basically balanced diet, or lc/hf? I'd like to get this right from the getgo if possible. Seems like lc/hf may work for some but it's a more untraditional approach.
I'd say not to worry if you don't get it right from the getgo, or if you get it right and then things change.

When I was first diagnosed as pre-diabetic, reducing carbs and eating a balanced meal worked. Then I had to cut out all potatoes, bread, pasta, and rice. That worked for a while. Now I also track my carb counts and increased my fat. (Protein metabolizes into glucose, so at some point, you might need to reduce protein a little and increase fat.)

Unfortunately, we're all different, so your experience will probably vary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,394 Posts
You can get it right the first time by getting a meter. All you need right now is a meter, to determine which foods cause your blood sugar to rise. Then practice this for a few days and record the results.

Then click this image for the explanation:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Shanny said:
You can get it right the first time by getting a meter. All you need right now is a meter, to determine which foods cause your blood sugar to rise. Then practice this for a few days and record the results.

Then click this image for the explanation:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php
Thanks Shanny. That makes perfect sense. Tried to get one yesterday, bur the drugstore I went to here doesn't sell them, believe it or not. They recommemded the medical supply store across the street from the medical university at the other end of town. I know I have one in a box here somewhere, but I'm moving tomorrow so I won't be able to check all the boxes for a day or two. Then I may have to buy a new one, as the test strips here may not fit the meter I have. Hmmm... Maybe better to just buy a new one. I do need to know where I stand, asap. Thanks for you help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Mar2a said:
I'd say not to worry if you don't get it right from the getgo, or if you get it right and then things change.

When I was first diagnosed as pre-diabetic, reducing carbs and eating a balanced meal worked. Then I had to cut out all potatoes, bread, pasta, and rice. That worked for a while. Now I also track my carb counts and increased my fat. (Protein metabolizes into glucose, so at some point, you might need to reduce protein a little and increase fat.)

Unfortunately, we're all different, so your experience will probably vary.
Very interesting. It's starting to sink in. Everyone os different, and the only way to figure out what works is to test, test, test. I have to admit though, I hat those damn finger pricks. But I do understand they are lifesavers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Shanny said:
You can get it right the first time by getting a meter. All you need right now is a meter, to determine which foods cause your blood sugar to rise. Then practice this for a few days and record the results.

Then click this image for the explanation:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php
Hi Shany,

Thank a lot so far. I bought a good meter today and did a test after a meal of Thai chicken with ginger and peppers, and a very little rice - less than a quarter cup. 2 hours after the meal my blood sugar was 89. I thoight that was too good to be true so I tested again anfd got a 94. Then I ate 5 sweet mandarin oranges - about the equivelent of on medium orange and tested after an hour. Score was 110. I'm going to do the test again after another hour, but I wanted to write now. I'm also going to do a fasting test in the morning, and then after breakfast. Seems like I may not have diabetes so far. Is that correct, or am I missing something? Thanks!
 

·
Inactive Member
Joined
·
5,318 Posts
If you are really concerned and can't get a doctor, there's a way to do an at home glucose tolerance test. You need to eat 75g of fast acting carbs, such as about 1.5 cup of rice, with no fat or protein. Check every 30mins for three hours. Then once an hour for another three. That will show if you have a problem with fast carbs and if you have reactive hypo.

Sent from my iPhone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
David Burke said:
If you are really concerned and can't get a doctor, there's a way to do an at home glucose tolerance test. You need to eat 75g of fast acting carbs, such as about 1.5 cup of rice, with no fat or protein. Check every 30mins for three hours. Then once an hour for another three. That will show if you have a problem with fast carbs and if you have reactive hypo.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks David,

I'm not too concerned anymore unless you or someone thinks I need more tests. My fasting reading this morning was 100 exactly, and then I had pancakes with syrup and coffee with sugar. After one hour my reading was 130 and after two hours my reading was 110. I guess that means I don't have diabetes. Is that safe to assume at this point?

Thank you all for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,394 Posts
That assumption is anything but safe. You are pushing the envelope. Non-diabetic people have fasting blood sugar between 70 and 90, and their postprandials don't go above 120, regardless of how much pancake & syrup they eat. The links I gave you in my last post explained this explicitly. You can continue in denial until you go into full-blown diabetes, or you can start taking this seriously. You said you wanted to get it right from the get-go. LCHF works for everyone who's willing to use it. The choice is yours, and the consequences will be yours too.
 

·
Inactive Member
Joined
·
5,318 Posts
kickinit said:
Thanks David,

I'm not too concerned anymore unless you or someone thinks I need more tests. My fasting reading this morning was 100 exactly, and then I had pancakes with syrup and coffee with sugar. After one hour my reading was 130 and after two hours my reading was 110. I guess that means I don't have diabetes. Is that safe to assume at this point?

Thank you all for your help.
In my opinion, with numbers like those, I'd suggest my BH see a doc and get a glucose tolerance test and an a1c.

And it's ne'er safe to make assumptions with this disease. I made the assumption I just had the flu when I felt bad last year. That assumption lead to a three day coma and a week long hospital stay.

So if you're concerned, see a doctor.

Sent from my iPhone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Shanny said:
That assumption is anything but safe. You are pushing the envelope. Non-diabetic people have fasting blood sugar between 70 and 90, and their postprandials don't go above 120, regardless of how much pancake & syrup they eat. The links I gave you in my last post explained this explicitly. You can continue in denial until you go into full-blown diabetes, or you can start taking this seriously. You said you wanted to get it right from the get-go. LCHF works for everyone who's willing to use it. The choice is yours, and the consequences will be yours too.
Shanny, can you send me the link again. The link on the chart just went to a larger image of the chart. And the other link went to a thread. I'm not sure I saw the correct link. Don't worry, I'm not in denial, and I do take this seriously. That's why I'm here asking questions. Getting information and good medical care here in the Philippines is not the easiest thing to do. So I'm kind of depending on the help I can get here. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
All the numbers reported in your recent posts are within normal range. I'd call this result ambiguous. They are in the upper part of the normal range. Thus, you could be pre-diabetic and possibly not.

My suggestion is to keep monitoring your blood sugar. Changing your diet (and keeping them lower) is a good idea for health whether you are heading for diabetes or you aren't. If you get anything over 140 2 hours after eating or much over 100 first thing in the morning, then take more serious steps right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,394 Posts
Shanny, can you send me the link again. The link on the chart just went to a larger image of the chart. And the other link went to a thread. I'm not sure I saw the correct link. Don't worry, I'm not in denial, and I do take this seriously. That's why I'm here asking questions. Getting information and good medical care here in the Philippines is not the easiest thing to do. So I'm kind of depending on the help I can get here. Thanks!
The link did go to a thread - a post which details how to Eat to your meter. And here is the BloodSugar101 link: What is normal blood sugar?
 
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
Top