The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Shanny said:
The link did go to a thread - a post which details how to Eat to your meter. And here is the BloodSugar101 link: What is normal blood sugar?
Shany, since you seem to be big on lchf diets I'd like to ask your opinion please. It looks like I am at the very high end of normal in glucose reading, and I feel I need to be proactive and not only keep them down, but get them down lower. I've been reading all the links you've sent me, and although lchf seem like a very good option for a female that may be overweight and has higher glucose readings than I do, I'm trying to figure out if I need to be that extreme at this stage of my life with what looks like early signs of diabetes. I weigh 200 lbs. I'm 5' 11", and I work out 5 times a week. In a regular low carb diet I'd be able to eat a little of everything, as long as I kept it low carb and watched my numbers. Seems like fewer cravings and desires that would go unfulfilled. I do like fruit and all kinds of natural foods. The lchf diet looks more confining to me. Seems like if I have just one slip of a piece of fruit or poundcake or something, it blows the whole thing, and you start over. Am I wrong in assuming that a simple low carb diet would be the best solution for someone like me?

·
Registered
63 Posts
smorgan said:
All the numbers reported in your recent posts are within normal range. I'd call this result ambiguous. They are in the upper part of the normal range. Thus, you could be pre-diabetic and possibly not.

My suggestion is to keep monitoring your blood sugar. Changing your diet (and keeping them lower) is a good idea for health whether you are heading for diabetes or you aren't. If you get anything over 140 2 hours after eating or much over 100 first thing in the morning, then take more serious steps right away.
Smorgan, thanks for your comment. I fear that I am actually prediabetic, as I have seen even higher numbers at times in the past (not terrible, but higher). I believe my numbers are looking pretty good because I work out 5 times or more a week, and I already watch what I eat for the most part. I've been somewhat religious about it for the last year and a half or so. Please look at what I just replied to Shany, and let me know what you think about my question. You seem to have a valid yet slightly different opinion, that is closer to mine, and I'd like to know what you think. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
David Burke said:
In my opinion, with numbers like those, I'd suggest my BH see a doc and get a glucose tolerance test and an a1c.

And it's ne'er safe to make assumptions with this disease. I made the assumption I just had the flu when I felt bad last year. That assumption lead to a three day coma and a week long hospital stay.

So if you're concerned, see a doctor.

Sent from my iPhone
David, I have a meter now and I'm testing like crazy. Assuming my daily tests show that I'm a very high normal, which could mean early signs, just what can a doctor actually do for me? Or better yet, what can I do for myself so that I never get fullblown diabetes. Or is it the luck of the draw at this stage. Diabetes actually killed my mother and aunt, and my step father had every ill in the book from gloucoma to blindness to gangreen, a planned amputation, and death in the hospital during the amputation at the age of 37. So As much as I like to eat, I take this thing very seriously. My problem is I'm in the Philippines right now and health care is not the same as it is in the states.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Eating to your meter is the best advice I can give you, kick. All of us had cravings and desires which had to be overcome, but with the family history you just described, it's hard for me to understand why you would ever place cravings/desires above controlling your blood sugar. In the first place, once you stop eating high-carb foods, the cravings subside. It's the carbs that are causing the cravings - and anyone here can testify to that.

Your readings are higher than they should be. If I believed in 'pre'diabetes, I'd say you are prediabetic. But I believe it's like pregnancy - you either are or you aren't - and there's no 'pre' about it; you are in the early stages of diabetes. So as Pat says, consider yourself diabetic and eat accordingly.

The only way you can avoid the complications & consequences suffered by your mother, stepfather and aunt is to maintain blood sugar levels below 140 which is commonly believed to be where damage begins to occur. That means stop eating foods that raise your blood sugar, especially if the Philippine healthcare system isn't able to help you.
Seems like if I have just one slip of a piece of fruit or poundcake or something, it blows the whole thing, and you start over.
This part is true if you want to stay in ketosis, but for using the garden variety LCHF, all your have to do is keep your blood sugar below 140. Again I say: eat to your meter.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I don't worry about ketosis, I eat about 100g carbs per day. For me, that's enough to keep the cravings away but also isn't too severe so I feel denied anything. It all depends what your body can take without BG going over 140 after a meal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
silvertiger said:
I don't worry about ketosis, I eat about 100g carbs per day. For me, that's enough to keep the cravings away but also isn't too severe so I feel denied anything. It all depends what your body can take without BG going over 140 after a meal.
Makes sense. I'm thinking I can handle even more carbs than 100, as I hit only 130 from a pancake breakfast, 120 after 2 hours. I think I'm either in the early stages, or I'm just a very high normal. I'm currently doing lots of testing. I'm treating it as though I jave diabetes, and I'm trying to control it. I had 12oz of fresh coconut water today as a test, and an hour later my reading was 105. Had me quite surprised.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Makes sense. I'm thinking I can handle even more carbs than 100, as I hit only 130 from a pancake breakfast, 120 after 2 hours. I think I'm either in the early stages, or I'm just a very high normal. I'm currently doing lots of testing. I'm treating it as though I jave diabetes, and I'm trying to control it. I had 12oz of fresh coconut water today as a test, and an hour later my reading was 105. Had me quite surprised.
130 after a pancake breakfast is a NORMAL number. It is not even at the top of normal range. According to this, if it was the peak, it is AVEWRAGE.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That assumption is anything but safe. You are pushing the envelope. Non-diabetic people have fasting blood sugar between 70 and 90, and their postprandials don't go above 120, regardless of how much pancake & syrup they eat.
I thought that the upper limit for healthy BG was technically 140mg/dL.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I said 'non-diabetic people'.
Non-diabetic people have fasting blood sugar between 70 and 90, and their postprandials don't go above 120, regardless of how much pancake & syrup they eat.
And though I've already given you the link, I'll post it again: What is a Normal Blood Sugar? where it says under 100 at best - under 120 at worst. Normal non-diabetic levels in normal non-diabetic people:
Post-Meal Blood Sugar (Postprandial)
Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is: Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal. Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating. (emphasis by Shanny)
Blood sugar of 140 mg/dl is when diabetics began to suffer damage to their organs and vascular system - invisible unnoticed damage, but occurring nonetheless. It has nothing to do with non-diabetics because they never get that high.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Normal non-diabetics? Eating a pancake breakfast? Here they are. Take note of average +- 2 standard deviations and range for waking, 1hr PP, 2hr PP, etc. You can't argue with facts!

Chart

I caused a lot of panic among my (all non-diabetic) family members by testing them and believing a lot of things I read on forums like this one. Some of us tend to get a little zealous. That's great if we're already diabetic where probably pretty much lower is better.

HOWEVER, there are non-diabetics out there with all the readings you can see in that chart within 2 standard deviations of mean who aren't "on their way" to diabetes necessarily as far as we know. Note the AVERAGE after-meal peak of around 130 - quite the shock to many of us who have adopted our own dogma about BG!

In fact, as I've said repeatedly, I don't even believe we know WHICH groups is actually "headed" for diabetes those with higher/lower BG (less regulated) or those who stay within a tight range (more regulated). In terms of all the various theories about the genesis of T2, an equally plausible argument could be made that in fact it is the hyper-regulators (all-83 all the time) who are headed for T2 as their over-zealous glucose equilibrium system wears itself out.

One thing we do know is that blood sugar levels are not just a continuum which continues upward until diagnosis. No. Blood sugar typically rises slowly in all people as they age, but diabetes is something different. At onset, blood sugar begins a much steeper rise and reaches diagnosable "diabetes" within about 3 years on average.

·
Registered
63 Posts
smorgan said:
Normal non-diabetics? Eating a pancake breakfast? Here they are. Take note of average +- 2 standard deviations and range for waking, 1hr PP, 2hr PP, etc. You can't argue with facts!

Chart

I caused a lot of panic among my (all non-diabetic) family members by testing them and believing a lot of things I read on forums like this one. Some of us tend to get a little zealous. That's great if we're already diabetic where probably pretty much lower is better.

HOWEVER, there are non-diabetics out there with all the readings you can see in that chart within 2 standard deviations of mean who aren't "on their way" to diabetes necessarily as far as we know. Note the AVERAGE after-meal peak of around 130 - quite the shock to many of us who have adopted our own dogma about BG!

In fact, as I've said repeatedly, I don't even believe we know WHICH groups is actually "headed" for diabetes those with higher/lower BG (less regulated) or those who stay within a tight range (more regulated). In terms of all the various theories about the genesis of T2, an equally plausible argument could be made that in fact it is the hyper-regulators (all-83 all the time) who are headed for T2 as their over-zealous glucose equilibrium system wears itself out.

One thing we do know is that blood sugar levels are not just a continuum which continues upward until diagnosis. No. Blood sugar typically rises slowly in all people as they age, but diabetes is something different. At onset, blood sugar begins a much steeper rise and reaches diagnosable "diabetes" within about 3 years on average.
Smorgan, thanks for your counterpoint information. It's really great to get both sides of the story as I'm trying to figure this all out. I really appreciate everyone who is trying to help me figure this all out.

As I think I mentioned, I'm testing like crazy to see exactly where I stand, and what I can and cannot eat. I woke with a fasting reading of 95, so I tested by eating 3 soft steak tacos a little while later. My readings were suprisingly good. One hour reading was 115 and two hours was 90. Later in the day I tested at 85 so I decided to test a hamburger on a reg white roll with ketchup. My 1 hour reading was 140, which scared the crap out of me, so I retested with a rush of adrenilin in my blood. It came out 155. So I got more nervous and tested again. I got a 166. They say stress will raise your blood sugar. I wonder if thats what happened. My 2 hour test was a surprisingly low 79. I wonder if it's possible that what I really had was a 140 at one hour and 79 at two hours for the meal I had. Any ideas what this all means?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It was the hamburger bun, kick. If you'd eaten it without the bun, I doubt you'd have moved your bg at all. What it all means is that carbs raise blood sugar. Now you've tested that, and yet you choose to believe it was the stress. I think I'm talking to hear my head rattle.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Any ideas what this all means?

It means you are using a lot of test strips. and for what is the purpose of this ? IDK.

I would not be wasting them like that nor would I be eating all that high carb aka wheat on some food lark.

jmo.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Carolina said:
Any ideas what this all means?

It means you are using a lot of test strips. and for what is the purpose of this ? IDK.

I would not be wasting them like that nor would I be eating all that high carb aka wheat on some food lark.

jmo.....
Hi Carolina,

How will I know what I can eat if I don't test? Everyone else says eat to your meter. I'm new to all this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I think that what Carolina is trying to say is that "eating to your meter" implies a certain amount of common sense go along with it. If I test a bread, whether in the form of a bread or a bun or bagel etc... and it spikes me and I then repeat the test on a different form and it also spikes me then I eliminate all bread. I also consider what it is about bread that is causing the spike and do one or two further tests to verify that my assumptions about (grains in this case) being the culprit. I can then eliminate all grains.

I don't even bother wasting strips on the food items that contain more carbs than I personally allow a food to contain (for me that is 5 carbs and is a personal choice).

If, and only if, the carb count of a "past favourite" slightly exceeds my self-imposed limitation do I bother testing it.

A final point: You, as you confirmed earlier, are not diabetic yet feel that you may be "pre-diabetic" and would like to stave off diabetes for as long as possible. If you truly believe that you may become diabetic in the future because of indicators you are finding now then you should not even bother trying to "find what you can eat" but rather adjust your WOE (way of eating) to a low carb diet now rather than later. One of the worst things we can do as diabetics is to put ourselves on a blood sugar roller coaster where our testing results are constantly crossing that 140 limit.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I sense a hint of denial in there. Been there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
canadiandude said:
I think that what Carolina is trying to say is that "eating to your meter" implies a certain amount of common sense go along with it. If I test a bread, whether in the form of a bread or a bun or bagel etc... and it spikes me and I then repeat the test on a different form and it also spikes me then I eliminate all bread. I also consider what it is about bread that is causing the spike and do one or two further tests to verify that my assumptions about (grains in this case) being the culprit. I can then eliminate all grains.

I don't even bother wasting strips on the food items that contain more carbs than I personally allow a food to contain (for me that is 5 carbs and is a personal choice).

If, and only if, the carb count of a "past favourite" slightly exceeds my self-imposed limitation do I bother testing it.

A final point: You, as you confirmed earlier, are not diabetic yet feel that you may be "pre-diabetic" and would like to stave off diabetes for as long as possible. If you truly believe that you may become diabetic in the future because of indicators you are finding now then you should not even bother trying to "find what you can eat" but rather adjust your WOE (way of eating) to a low carb diet now rather than later. One of the worst things we can do as diabetics is to put ourselves on a blood sugar roller coaster where our testing results are constantly crossing that 140 limit.
Canadadude, your testing method makes sense to me.

So far it seems I have tested as high as the normal limits in the chart that smorgan sent earlier in this thread. So I guess I'm not technically considered diabetic yet. But it looks like I'm on my way there if I stop watching what I eat and stop working out.

I do appreciate everyones advice. I have learned a lot in a short period of time. Unfortunately it looks like there are some conflicting ideas about what is and what is not considered diabetes, and there is a lot for medical science to learn about this disease as well. Hopefully more advances will be made sooner than later for the sake of us all.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There are definitely conflicting ideas but most if not all comes from the notion of pre-diabetes. I, for one, do not believe in the pre-diabetes diagnosis. My doctor has stated that I am pre-diabetic and the doctor that tested my eyes for retinopathy stated that "Once you lose weight, you should be able to avoid diabetes altogether". :rolleyes: Since then, I have lost close to 25kg and I exercise each and every day...either walking or running a minimum 5km as well as doing 70 situps per night. I eat low carb (albeit with a cheat now and again) and, as a result of all this, my BG levels are consistently between 4-6 (72-108). On those days when I cheat, I can count of BG levels between 140-230. In my opinion, the numbers I obtain when cheating clearly indicate that I am fully diabetic T2. Good luck with all your reading and testing.....and reading and testing... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
The health professionals at the diabetes clinic I encountered in my early diabetes days were all overweight and munching junk food in the appointments. Unless my health professional is diabetic and looking really healthy i'm not listening to anything they say! Lchf has improved my bg and energy levels immensely, I need no more proof than that.
Yes, I noticed that at my diabetic class. The young over-weight teacher warned everyone not to adopt the Atkins diet and to follow the plate plan. That was before I read Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. NowI just carry the book to all my appointments. :)

41 - 60 of 65 Posts