The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been on the LCHF diet for one month after deciding to take my pre-diabetes seriously. I’m 100% onboard — everything about it makes sense to me and I’m eating the best I have in my life (it’s also the most I’ve cooked for myself, hands down). I wasn’t very overweight before, but I dropped 14 lbs anyway which puts me right in normal BMI. My energy levels haven’t jumped like others’ have, but it is much steadier and I don’t have the same afternoon crashes. The list of awesome effects is very large.

However — I’m now on my third bout of constipation and it really has me discouraged about the diet.

1) When I first got it early on, I read a lot that pushed me toward green leafy vegetables. I now eat a giant spinach salad for lunch or dinner almost every day. I also try to snack on raw broccoli with ranch dip here and there. I also tried to up my fiber, but its really hard to get to those bigger levels without carbs.

2) I’ve also been drinking water like crazy — 8 to 10 glasses a day. (Honestly, I’m really tired of it given I’m not getting much return on the investment)

3) My current working theory is that perhaps I was getting too much of my daily fat from cheese, so I’ve tried getting more from fatty meats.

4) I’m now trying to get even more fiber by snacking on Pecans (3g fiber per 4g carbs). But I’m not sure that’s working either.

I’ve been managing the constipation by occasionally having Magnesium Citrate to move things along. But it’s not moving much at all without it, and it isn’t pleasant when it does.

What’s so frustrating about this is that you can’t easily see what works and what doesn’t very fast. You don’t know if you’re eating right for today, but the problem you have is from something you ate three days ago.

It really sucks because I genuinely like this LCHF lifestyle and I’ve never felt so committed to something dietary that seemed to make so much sense. But I really have to resolve this issue soon or I’ll be forced to find some hybrid diet that gets my BM back to where I was before LCHF.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
David, I share your pain. Altho' it had been my long pattern but not nearly so bad, it became a serious problem. After having serious problems for a couple of years, and some sad results trying fiber a friend told me that fiber could be the problem I tried watching it and taking one Phillips tablet daily (my doctor approved). Things seem to work fine now and spinach is nearly a twice a week feature of my diet. Apparently fiber really makes it worse for me. My primary agrees that fiber isn't for everyone and apparently I'm one of them. I'm not a daily person but this works for me.

You have my sympathy in this search for cure. Just stay with us and keep looking!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David, I share your pain. Altho' it had been my long pattern but not nearly so bad, it became a serious problem. After having serious problems for a couple of years, and some sad results trying fiber a friend told me that fiber could be the problem I tried watching it and taking one Phillips tablet daily (my doctor approved). Things seem to work fine now and spinach is nearly a twice a week feature of my diet. Apparently fiber really makes it worse for me. My primary agrees that fiber isn't for everyone and apparently I'm one of them. I'm not a daily person but this works for me.

You have my sympathy in this search for cure. Just stay with us and keep looking!
That's one of the more frustrating things about researching this. Some say to add more fiber, some say to drop it down and that it's actually the culprit. Since I was pretty regular before (if anything, too much so), I'm inclined to assume the "type" that probably falls in the Need More category. Although I hope in the Need Less category as that would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
970 Posts
Too little fat, and too much fiber?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Raw broccoli? OUCH! I can't eat tons of spinach either so I use more romaine with my salads. Fiber is not my friend either. Avocados do seem to help 'soften' things. Also magnesium oxide (cheap stuff) is highly beneficial (or the Phillips). It can take 3 days to start working but one before bed with warm water usually does the trick. Cheese is very constipating for many. Are you getting any fats from mono unsaturated like olive oils?? They are much needed for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I restarted my food journaling last Friday, so I can share the last four days up to today:

Friday:
Lunch — deviled eggs, raw pecan halves
Snacks — Broccoli Florets, Bacon Ranch dip
Dinner — 3 cups baby spinach salad with 3 tbsp ranch dressing, 5 tbsp shredded cheese, 1 tbsp bacon bits

Saturday:
Brunch — 2 eggs, 5 bacon
Snack — 2 string cheese
Dinner* — 2 Servings high fiber/ low carb tortillas, 1 cup shredded cheddar, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1 cup ground turkey
* (My wife was making tacos for May/Pac fight that we were watching, so I got the Ole Mexican low carb, high fiber tortillas for the occasion)

Sunday
Breakfast snack — 2 string cheese
Lunch — (taco left overs) 1 high fiber/ low carb tortillas, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup ground turkey
Snack at movie — 1 hot dog (no bun)
Dinner — 3 cups baby spinach salad with 3 tbsp ranch dressing, 5 tbsp shredded cheese, 6 pieces Anchovies

Monday (today)
Breakfast — 2 eggs, 6 bacon
Lunch — Wendy’s tripple with cheese (no bun)
Snack — 2 string cheese
Dinner — *** haven’t yet had ***

--- I'm thinking of further backing off cheese, and also dropping down my fiber a lot given most of my researching today.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just on general principles, I would discontinue the tortillas.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Maybe try some nuts instead of the string cheese OR avocado. Celery and dip or nut butters. See if you can add olive oil somewhere too?
I fried egg on an avocado is great or just guac with a spoon, LOL.

looking forward to Cinco Da Mayo for lots of guac!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I read through that thread while I was researching. While I know it shouldn't be surprising to have less overall BMs, I assume it isn't normal to feel like you need to throughout the day while being unable to -- something I associate more with constipation.
While frequency seems to have crept into the official definition somehow somewhere, in my own mind constipation is the condition of having dry hard painful-to-pass stools, and frequency has nothing to do with it. If movements, whenever they occur, are soft and easy to pass, I don't see the problem.

We're eating less food now, and our bodies are able to utilize a much higher percentage of what we eat, since the non-essential nutrients (carbs) aren't included which have heretofore made up most of the waste product. Since there's less volume of waste product, it stands to reason evacuation might be less frequent and would assuredly be of smaller quantity.

I also recognize that our bodies get accustomed to old habits, and even if there isn't as much fecal matter accumulated, our bodies might start sending out signals that it's time to poop. I suggest we let nature take its course as long as the stools are soft and pass easily. If they start getting dry and hard, increase fats in your meals and maintain high fluid consumption. If that doesn't work, a mild laxative like some have already named shouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes, carbs do produce larger stools that's for sure. I agree with Shanny if it isn't uncomfortable or hard to pass give your body time to adjust. If it is then try the supplement, ditch the high fiber tortillas and cheese and see if that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the exact same problem. A friend of mine who's a severe diabetic and very good with her diet told me to integrate 1 tbsp of milled flax seed into my diet every day. It really seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Do not think, that if you don't make a daily trip to the potty, that you are constipated.

This is a myth.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
92 Posts
First time around doing Atkins, I was always constipated.

But this time, I am not and going daily. What is different is that I am taking 2g Konjac fiber just before each meal (glucomann), and buffered Vitamin C (relatively high dosages 3x1000mg daily which is bowel clearance). This has been working great for me. Magnesium Citrate is great as well, but haven't needed it.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Would you like to try raw virgin coconut oil around 3-4 tablespoons at night. Last thing before getting into bed. It helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts