The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my second set of lab results (7/28/2014) since my initial set back in January 2014. The amazing thing is that my cholesterol panel has improved tremendously (low cholesterol levels are just as bad as high ones per my research). My HA1c has improved and I am no longer in the "Pre-Diabetes" category. I know that the reality is that I am still glucose intolerant as my meter indicates!

I am happy with my results considering I went on a cruise and was in Europe and away from home for almost 6 weeks. Plus, I have celiac disease and eating or having access to non-cross contaminated gluten free foods is far more important than following my LCHF diet (sad, but true). So, yes, in order not to starve, I ate GF bread, pizza, cookies and fruit. I was probably one of the first passengers to complain that I was always hungry. But the cruise line did their best to accommodate me! At least I did not get glutened which can trigger an autoimmune response that can last for a week to three weeks!

HA1c was 5.8 and is now 5.5 (I expect better results next time since I adhere to the LCHF diet when I am at home). My genetic anemia (Thalassemia) may also make this test inaccurate. That's what prompted my initial research on Blood Sugar 101.

They did not take a fasting.

Here's my lipid panel:

Total 136, now 154
Triglycerides 75 now 68
HDL 37 now 57
LDL 84 now 83
Chol/HDL Ratio 3.7 (calc.) now 2.7

I am very happy having a higher HDL result! The LCHF diet works! Even though I had a normal BMI back in January, I lost 15 pounds during the first two months of the diet and have maintained since then. I weigh what I did in high school, in my 20's and 30's. Nice to shed that little extra weight that I attributed to middle-age!

Thanks to everyone on the forum for your support. I check the website almost daily. It keeps me on the straight and narrow LCHF path (along with my meter).

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
:peace: Good On Ya!!! :peace:

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Happy Dance for cyclinglady!

Not sure how your doctor (or you feel about it) but, I am celebrating the higher Total in my dance. From my own research, I suspect your body is much better able to care for and repair itself with more of the appropriate tools available!

·
Registered
130 Posts
No doctor should be worried about those numbers. The increase in total cholesterol is solely due to Hdl.

Reactions: skb

·
Banned
563 Posts
Great going!

There's a lot of sugar in the GF products you name--that's one reason you may have been constantly hungry. People usually find that when they are eating enough fat, they don't "need" GF pizza, bread, and cookies.

Most of the people who take the Low Carb Cruise with Jimmy Moore take along extra fat (coconut oil, Kerry Gold butter, olive oil) and use it liberally with meat, cheese for some, and veggies. High fat and moderate protein foods are pretty easy to find on cruises--eggs, meat, seafood, veggies, etc. Some people even manage to lose weight on the low carb cruise, and they aren't constantly hungry. (From what I understand, with few exceptions, the cruise line does not make special food for the low carb cruise, but participants can choose lower carb offerings from the regular menu). Pretty much everyone on LCHF is "gluten free" by default, since the grains that carry gluten are too high in carbs for LCHF to work effectively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts