The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just found this forum and am glad to be here! My name is Erica, although my user name is Erratica, an alter-ego.

After having gestational diabetes with both kids (only dx with 2nd one), I went back to eating the typical S.A.D. diet and feeling crappy for 17 years.

I was dx with type 2 diabetes in February 2008, after the nurse-practitioner suggested I be tested when it took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear up a simple ear infection. At the time, my FBG was 277. I tried to manage it on my own for a year, doing fairly low carb, but in the fall, my BG just kept going up and I felt like crap.

Not having insurance, I finally got on a low-income local plan and saw a doc in Jan 2009. He put me on Metformin, then later added Lisinopril for my borderline high bp (135/92), and we even tried Glypizide for a while. My trigs went from 313 to 137, HDL went up, LDL went down, and my overall cholesterol was always around 150-160.

An interesting comment after reading a thread on diabetes educators: when I saw the nutritionist, she informed me I wasn't eating enough carbs at 100g/day!

I've been traveling for the past 4 months in Ireland, and have stopped taking all meds (was on Metformin 2000mg/day, Lisinopril 10mg/day). My blood sugars were going up and up (228 fasting), due to eating too many carbs here.

On 19 May I gave up all grains and 90% of the sugar I was eating. I eat only meat and fat, including butter and lard, a few veggies, dark chocolate and berries or 1/2 apple occasionally. My blood sugars are coming down with no meds, but I'm discovering I can't even eat a little bit of potato or too much dark chocolate or they spike.

The good news? I've lost weight (enough that my clothes are just hanging on me now), the belly bloat is gone and all that is left is the actual fat, and I feel fabulous! I don't crave carbs anymore, and am satisfied with butter as my snack.

Looking forward to being a part of this group,

Erica

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboad, Erica! Looks like you're doing well figuring this out - hope your blood sugars continue dropping. Lots of us are eating the same way you do! LC/HF may eliminate the grains, etc, from our diets, but there's oh-so-much other good stuff to eat! :D

Take care & thank you for joining us!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to DF!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
High Erica, many of us have discovered the same thing that you have. A Low Carb/ high fat diet works. You won't find a dietician out there that will recomend it but it works for good bg control, lowers lipids, raises HDL and helps you lose weight. After several years on it I have noticed that almost all of my belly bloat is gone, too. Through exercise and weight lifting I have finally turned what was left into muscle, so I don't have the fat hanging off my bones anymore. This is definitely a lifestyle I can keep up. I have found I can eat treats made with almond flour and flaxseed. I also found some sprouted grain bread is ok once in awhile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Erratica's my other name

Welcome to our forums, Erica..or should i say Erratica? Hmm...an alter-ego eh? Diabetic by day, super hero by night....it's ok, we'll keep your secret!
Haha, CanadianDude! Years ago, a couple of women who were frequent Scottish Highland Games goers decided to create their very own clan. They named it MacRogue, and the laird was a stuffed rabbit that belonged to one of the women's son. Others soon joined in, and we all chose names that fit our personalities. Since I tend to jump from interest to interest and love LOTS of different things, I became Erratica MacRogue.

The clan had its own history, and mostly was an homage to Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("that's no ordinary rabbit!"). We had a lot of fun with it, and were actually the honored clan at the Western Massachusetts Highland Games in 2000 (and yes, we did the clan parade with coconuts). We've since mostly disbanded, but we had about 50 members from all over the country. In order to be a member, you just had to pronounce yourself a MacRogue and give yourself a name.

So, maybe not a super hero by night, but definitely someone interested in changing the diet of Western civilization.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Haha, CanadianDude! Years ago, a couple of women who were frequent Scottish Highland Games goers decided to create their very own clan. They named it MacRogue, and the laird was a stuffed rabbit that belonged to one of the women's son. Others soon joined in, and we all chose names that fit our personalities. Since I tend to jump from interest to interest and love LOTS of different things, I became Erratica MacRogue.

The clan had its own history, and mostly was an homage to Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("that's no ordinary rabbit!"). We had a lot of fun with it, and were actually the honored clan at the Western Massachusetts Highland Games in 2000 (and yes, we did the clan parade with coconuts). We've since mostly disbanded, but we had about 50 members from all over the country. In order to be a member, you just had to pronounce yourself a MacRogue and give yourself a name.

So, maybe not a super hero by night, but definitely someone interested in changing the diet of Western civilization.
Now that is one of the best stories I've read in a long time and your alter-ego name rocks! As someone of Scottish origin, I can tell you that whenever they throw a Highland Games, I'm there. So much fun!

Gawd, now I'm having a fit o' giggles thinking about the rabbit scene lol.

"He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!" :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
High Erica, many of us have discovered the same thing that you have. A Low Carb/ high fat diet works. You won't find a dietician out there that will recomend it but it works for good bg control, lowers lipids, raises HDL and helps you lose weight. After several years on it I have noticed that almost all of my belly bloat is gone, too. Through exercise and weight lifting I have finally turned what was left into muscle, so I don't have the fat hanging off my bones anymore. This is definitely a lifestyle I can keep up. I have found I can eat treats made with almond flour and flaxseed. I also found some sprouted grain bread is ok once in awhile.
You bet they won't! I had my third and final - thank goodness! - diabetes "education" class yesterday and got the third degree once again from yet another instructor about LC/HF: "You're gonna kill yourself eating like that!" Yeah, surefinewhateverhoney! :p

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Love Scottish Games and Ren Faires! So far, have not had the time to really do 'em. (... sigh ...)

MacRogues, rabbits and coconuts. What could be better?

Not to brag, but I can totally eat 100 carbs a day ... umm ... if I take a gallon of insulin before and after, that is! :yuck:

Welcome! :welcome:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that is one of the best stories I've read in a long time and your alter-ego name rocks! As someone of Scottish origin, I can tell you that whenever they throw a Highland Games, I'm there. So much fun!

Gawd, now I'm having a fit o' giggles thinking about the rabbit scene lol.

"He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!" :D
It was always fun, and I kind of miss it. Love that movie! Also, anything by Mel Brooks.

I missed the Texas Scottish Festival this year, as well as the North Texas Irish Festival, but there's always next year. Of course, being in Ireland for 3 months sort of made up for it! ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Greetings

Hello, just found this forum and am glad to be here! My name is Erica, although my user name is Erratica, an alter-ego.

After having gestational diabetes with both kids (only dx with 2nd one), I went back to eating the typical S.A.D. diet and feeling crappy for 17 years.

I was dx with type 2 diabetes in February 2008, after the nurse-practitioner suggested I be tested when it took 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear up a simple ear infection. At the time, my FBG was 277. I tried to manage it on my own for a year, doing fairly low carb, but in the fall, my BG just kept going up and I felt like crap.

Not having insurance, I finally got on a low-income local plan and saw a doc in Jan 2009. He put me on Metformin, then later added Lisinopril for my borderline high bp (135/92), and we even tried Glypizide for a while. My trigs went from 313 to 137, HDL went up, LDL went down, and my overall cholesterol was always around 150-160.

An interesting comment after reading a thread on diabetes educators: when I saw the nutritionist, she informed me I wasn't eating enough carbs at 100g/day!

I've been traveling for the past 4 months in Ireland, and have stopped taking all meds (was on Metformin 2000mg/day, Lisinopril 10mg/day). My blood sugars were going up and up (228 fasting), due to eating too many carbs here.

On 19 May I gave up all grains and 90% of the sugar I was eating. I eat only meat and fat, including butter and lard, a few veggies, dark chocolate and berries or 1/2 apple occasionally. My blood sugars are coming down with no meds, but I'm discovering I can't even eat a little bit of potato or too much dark chocolate or they spike.

The good news? I've lost weight (enough that my clothes are just hanging on me now), the belly bloat is gone and all that is left is the actual fat, and I feel fabulous! I don't crave carbs anymore, and am satisfied with butter as my snack.

Looking forward to being a part of this group,

Erica
Hi Erica and welcome to the forum:D.

Sounds like you are doing great and now an extra treat as you will have fun shopping for some new clothes as well.
Hope you will continue posting and let us all know how live is going for you.

Gene

1 - 11 of 11 Posts