The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new here but not new to type two diabetes. Over a year ago I had covid and lost a lot of my memory. I lost my understanding of how to care for my diabetes. About a month ago I ended up in the hospital, with hallucinations, because my blood sugar readings were up around 500. I am home now and home health care has helped me learn most of what I needed to remember. I am doing well but I occasionally have questions. That's why I am here. I am 70 years old and live with my husband who is older than me and has PTSD from Vietnam so it can get pretty stressful if I am not feeling well. I have to keep myself in good health to be able to help him if he needs it. Thank you for listening and I hope that eventually I will relearn everything I used to know.

·
Administrator
2,266 Posts
Hi, Cheryl; welcome to the site! It sounds like you're another one of the many people who hope the new year treats us better than last year did.

Please feel free to look around the site; there are all kinds of discussions and many experiences and viewpoints. And when you have a question, please post it in the appropriate forum and we'll do our best to get you the information you're looking for (or at least point you in the right direction). This is a supportive group. We all want to see each other succeed in managing our diabetes. I hope to see more posts from you soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Cheryl; welcome to the site! It sounds like you're another one of the many people who hope the new year treats us better than last year did.

Please feel free to look around the site; there are all kinds of discussions and many experiences and viewpoints. And when you have a question, please post it in the appropriate forum and we'll do our best to get you the information you're looking for (or at least point you in the right direction). This is a supportive group. We all want to see each other succeed in managing our diabetes. I hope to see more posts from you soon.
Thank you for the welcome. It is good to be among people who are handling similar problems. Right now I am just glad to be alive and I am willing to do anything I need to. I never want to go through those horrible hallucinations again. I look forward to getting to know you.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Hi Cheryl, welcome to the forum. Wishing you and your husband a much better new year.

If you don't mind, how is your blood sugar doing now and what things are you are doing to manage it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Cheryl, welcome to the forum. Wishing you and your husband a much better new year.

If you don't mind, how is your blood sugar doing now and what things are you are doing to manage it?
I am doing pretty well now with a few times when my sugar went up to 300 (due to stress) but I knew it and took a reading and a bit of insulin 8-10 units. Otherwise its staying within a good range (100-165). A couple of lows too. Last night it went down to 63 while I was sleeping so I got up and ate a few peanut butter crackers. It was 126 in the morning. I'm still learning how much I can eat and how it effects me. I'm taking my blood sugars too much I guess because my home nurse said I should only take it 4 times a day. But I really should have taken it one more time later because I went to bed late.

·
Administrator
2,266 Posts
I'm taking my blood sugars too much I guess because my home nurse said I should only take it 4 times a day. But I really should have taken it one more time later because I went to bed late.
When some of us were first figuring out the effects of certain foods (and when we ate them and so on), we were testing up to 10 times a day: fasting in the morning, before each meal, and at one- and two-hour intervals after meals to chart rises and falls in blood sugar.

Test as often as you need to; test as often as it gives you information you can act on (like bedtime if that helps you). The home nurse is not you (even if she is diabetic, too). You know your body best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When some of us were first figuring out the effects of certain foods (and when we ate them and so on), we were testing up to 10 times a day: fasting in the morning, before each meal, and at one- and two-hour intervals after meals to chart rises and falls in blood sugar.

Test as often as you need to; test as often as it gives you information you can act on (like bedtime if that helps you). The home nurse is not you (even if she is diabetic, too). You know your body best.
Thank you. That's good to know. Because I have forgotten so much and my short term memory is so poor I think I do need to test more often but I do write most things down unless I forget to. What kind of snacks do you eat before bed to sustain your sugar through the night? That's my biggest issue right now. I had another low ( 68) last night. I was eating two slices of American cheese and two peanut butter crackers but it was putting me too high but last night I ate two pieces of sliced cheese and I dropped too low. When I got the low last night I ate 2 more pcs of cheese and one pb cracker and this morning my sugar when I first woke up was 201.

·
Administrator
2,266 Posts
What kind of snacks do you eat before bed to sustain your sugar through the night?
I usually eat a little bit of fatty protein (cube of cheese, a few pieces of salami, etc.). That seems to do the best job of tamping down dawn phenomenon, though my morning fasting still typically is my highest reading all day.

A few thoughts on that, though (sorry for the book I'm about to write):
  • I'm a Type 2 managing entirely on diet and exercise, not taking any medications that are dosed for the expectation that I'll be consuming a certain amount of carbohydrates in a certain amount of time;
  • Us diabetics can have blood sugar repercussions from foods we eat much earlier in the day than before we sleep. A skim through the daily blood sugar threads here will show that even a carb-heavy dinner can show up in the reading the next morning.
  • Right now it seems your blood sugar is quite variable but whenever I get a reading that's way off from what I expect, I test again immediately. That 201 from this morning seems so far above what I would expect from eating essentially the same foods that I would first review if there was some reason (infection, oncoming illness, lack of sleep, lots of carbs the previous day, etc.) why the number should be that far off. Then, if an answer was not apparent (or since you need to dose medication/insulin to address it anyway), I would test again to see if the reading was accurate or tainted.
I'll also throw in that I know you've expressed a concern about how many strips you can get to test with. If you want to test more but availability through medical insurance is a concern, there are good meters that cost $20 or less and use strips that can cost around 25-50 cents each purchased in moderate quantities. While two meters will never completely be in sync, having that second cheap meter around might be helpful in stabilizing things right now.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
@Cheryl2697, just to confirm, are you Type 1 or Type 2. You mentioned taking insulin in earlier post, what insulin(s) are you on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I usually eat a little bit of fatty protein (cube of cheese, a few pieces of salami, etc.). That seems to do the best job of tamping down dawn phenomenon, though my morning fasting still typically is my highest reading all day.

• I'm a Type 2 managing entirely on diet and exercise, not taking any medications that are dosed for the expectation that I'll be consuming a certain amount of carbohydrates in a certain amount of time;
  • Us diabetics can have blood sugar repercussions from foods we eat much earlier in the day than before we sleep. A skim through the daily blood sugar threads here will show that even a carb-heavy dinner can show up in the reading the next morning.
  • Right now it seems your blood sugar is quite variable but whenever I get a reading that's way off from what I expect, I test again immediately. That 201 from this morning seems so far above what I would expect from eating essentially the same foods that I would first review if there was some reason (infection, oncoming illness, lack of sleep, lots of carbs the previous day, etc.) why the number should be that far off. Then, if an answer was not apparent (or since you need to dose medication/insulin to address it anyway), I would test again to see if the reading was accurate or tainted.
I'll also throw in that I know you've expressed a concern about how many strips you can get to test with. If you want to test more but availability through medical insurance is a concern, there are good meters that cost $20 or less and use strips that can cost around 25-50 cents each purchased in moderate quantities. While two meters will never completely be in sync, having that second cheap meter around might be helpful in stabilizing things right now.
I am using a generic meter so I can get as many strips as I need to use. I am a creature of habit who just about eats the same thing everyday. If it works for me then that is what I will keep doing so you would think this would not be so difficult for me. I mainly eat like this: breakfast, 2 pcs of peanut butter wheat toast with one slice of american cheese between them and 2 cups coffee with 1 stevia and skim milk. Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (very little jelly) and a tall glass of skim milk. Snack: 2-3 peanut butter crackers. Dinner: Can of soup (the kind that has cream vegetables and meat) but I add about 1/4 cup of meat, ground beef, to it for a little added protein. At night I have 2 pb crackers if my sugar starts heading down too fast. Then before I go to bed I eat 3 peanut butter crackers and 3 slices of American cheese. That was holding me until morning for the first few weeks that I was home from the hospital but now its not. My sugar is going down too fast about 3 and a half hours later so it wakes me up because I'm not feeling well. I'm doing something wrong but I am not sure what.
I will read over the rest of what you sent.
Thank you.
Cheryl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Cheryl2697, just to confirm, are you Type 1 or Type 2. You mentioned taking insulin in earlier post, what insulin(s) are you on?
I am type 2 and I take 18 units of Novolog three times a day before meals and 35 units Levemir two times a day morning and evening before meals.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
OK thanks, I guess I would have known type 2 if I would have reread your intro post, but knowing more about meds is helpful info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hi. I am doing better the last few nights. Have decreased the pb crackers at night to 0 and increased the cheese. Two mornings now I have woken up to 124 and 125 for readings. Hopefully that problem is taken care of. Thank you for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts