The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly getting leg cramps which come on so suddenly.
I am laying in bed just watching a bit of TV and it suddenly strikes without any warning. Not as if I've moved or stretched my legs or anything.
I have been told that eating bananas is good but I have one most days. Apparently there is a vitamin that I can take, anyone know about this?
I was given quinine tablets to take by the doc. but would much prefer to go down a more natural route.
I am spinabifida and am wondering if this has got anything to do with it as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bananas are a good source of potassium...which helps with leg cramps

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The only recent times I have had leg cramps was after stopping my one hour walks for a few days, while we had visitiors. It was like my legs were begging me to start walking again. I have walked for the last three days and the cramps have stopped.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Magnesium!!!

My husband gets those in the middle of the night.

Potassium is a short-term fix, but magnesium is more important. Lowers insulin resistance, too ... apparently.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am constantly getting leg cramps which come on so suddenly.
I am laying in bed just watching a bit of TV and it suddenly strikes without any warning. Not as if I've moved or stretched my legs or anything.
I have been told that eating bananas is good but I have one most days. Apparently there is a vitamin that I can take, anyone know about this?
I was given quinine tablets to take by the doc. but would much prefer to go down a more natural route.
I am spinabifida and am wondering if this has got anything to do with it as well.
Hi Foxy,

I used to get cramp in my calves when in bed at night. That was when my blood glucose levels were running higher than they do now. It's one other thing that has disappeared since I normalised my blood glucose levels.

Never taken anything for the problem.

Best wishes - John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts