The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

You know how when you sit for a long time in one position your foot/leg start to fall asleep (aka - pins and needles)? Well, I have been having a lot of it lately, and it correlates almost exactly with the timing of me starting to eat healthier and losing weight (low carbing), and controlling my BGs.

I used to have this problem even as a young man years ago, but it kinda disappeared for the past few years (the period of time I suspect I was a "hidden" diabetic).

This isn't the diabetic neuropathic pain I am talking of (though there could be a correlation), but just the regular sensation of your legs falling asleep.

Why would there be a negative correlation between BGs and greatly increased occurrence of this problem? Could it be due to some dietary deficiency brought about by a low carb diet?

Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sufee

G

·
perhaps it could be magnesium deficiency? As diabetics apparently that is something that we can be deficient in especially if on meds. Maybe look at adding magnesium supplement to your daily routine and see if there is any improvement. Vitamin D is also another common deficiency... you can get tested for that one. Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Falling asleep of the legs, feet and hands, which some describe as pins and needles or tingling or numbness is the beginning stage of Neuropothy. In diabetics, it can be caused by high bgs. Another cause which can happen even to non-diabetics can be poor circulation in the legs which a doc can check by listining to the legs with a stethoscope. If the bg is too low to be causing Neuropothy and if the leg circulation is fine, the doc will usually suggest a Neurologist, which is what happened in my case.

But I read on one of the posts here at the forum that Neuropothy can be caused by the spine pressing on nerves, so I opted to go the chiropractor route before seeing a Neurologist, even though I have not had much back pain. The x-rays show my back is in an S-curve. The lower back is the area where the spine can press on nerves and cause Neuropothy in the legs. My chiropractor said after 6 weeks of adjustments (3 times per week) my back should be in as good an alignment as he can get it.

Before I started going to the chiropractor, the tingling was constant, but I have been going for 3 weeks and the tingling is much better, although it starts again if I sit too long, at which point I get up and walk it off. I am hoping that in 3 more weeks this problem will be resolved. I hope that some of this info will be helpful to you.

G

·
that's a good point Gizmo :D Reminds me I need to get myself back to a chiropractor. Everyone thinks they are "back doctors" but in fact their job is to work on your nervous system as it was put to me by my chiropractor that all your nerves run through your spine and out and their job is to free them up by getting joints to move properly in your back. I think I have a few pinched nerves going on. Surprisingly all 3 accidents I had a while back seized my neck and 2 sections of my back. My back looks crooked on xray too. ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On different diabetic forums I have heard of neuropathy increasing when people who are dx'd with very high bgs get control of bg very quickly. Sometimes vision changes as well as neuropathy symptoms occur. There is a name for this but I can't think of it right now. I'll see if I can find the old post that referred to it.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
298 Posts
jwags said:
On different diabetic forums I have heard of neuropathy increasing when people who are dx'd with very high bgs get control of bg very quickly. Sometimes vision changes as well as neuropathy symptoms occur. There is a name for this but I can't think of it right now. I'll see if I can find the old post that referred to it.
I think this is what happened to me. It got worse as I got better control.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Falling asleep of the legs, feet and hands, which some describe as pins and needles or tingling or numbness is the beginning stage of Neuropothy. In diabetics, it can be caused by high bgs. Another cause which can happen even to non-diabetics can be poor circulation in the legs which a doc can check by listining to the legs with a stethoscope. If the bg is too low to be causing Neuropothy and if the leg circulation is fine, the doc will usually suggest a Neurologist, which is what happened in my case.

But I read on one of the posts here at the forum that Neuropothy can be caused by the spine pressing on nerves, so I opted to go the chiropractor route before seeing a Neurologist, even though I have not had much back pain. The x-rays show my back is in an S-curve. The lower back is the area where the spine can press on nerves and cause Neuropothy in the legs. My chiropractor said after 6 weeks of adjustments (3 times per week) my back should be in as good an alignment as he can get it.

Before I started going to the chiropractor, the tingling was constant, but I have been going for 3 weeks and the tingling is much better, although it starts again if I sit too long, at which point I get up and walk it off. I am hoping that in 3 more weeks this problem will be resolved. I hope that some of this info will be helpful to you.
I'm getting kind of concerned now (I'm a hypochondriac to begin with). I get this all the time, but I do spend a lot of time at the computer (that's when it happens) and don't move my butt enough. My bgs are pretty low though - generally stay at 115 and under. I've gone over 130 just a couple of times since my dx three months ago. Am I working myself into a panic for nothing? :confused:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm getting kind of concerned now (I'm a hypochondriac to begin with). I get this all the time, but I do spend a lot of time at the computer (that's when it happens) and don't move my butt enough. My bgs are pretty low though - generally stay at 115 and under. I've gone over 130 just a couple of times since my dx three months ago. Am I working myself into a panic for nothing? :confused:
No help in panicing. Sounds like your bgs are low enough, but I'm no doctor. Next time you go to the doc you can have him check the blood flow in your legs if it hasn't been done recently. If that is fine, you can decide where to go from there, but I would try to get the problem resolved.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No help in panicing. Sounds like your bgs are low enough, but I'm no doctor. Next time you go to the doc you can have him check the blood flow in your legs if it hasn't been done recently. If that is fine, you can decide where to go from there, but I would try to get the problem resolved.
I'm going in for the results of my A1C next week, so I'll definitely do that!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm sorry any of us is going through this but happy to see I'm not alone. I was diagnosed about 7 weeks asp and at my first follow upapps after being trousers from the hospital I told both my PCP and endo about pains and tingling in my hands, feet and legs...moreso the latter two. The endo said because the pain initially started at my hip he didn't believe it to be neuropathy and that my PCP should check for sciatica.

I feel like a ping pong ball and that they aren't taking it as seriously as the pain and tingling is serious about making me uncomfortable.

I did start taking vitamin D about a month ago and have not experienced the tingling as much.

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I told both my PCP and endo about pains and tingling in my hands, feet and legs...moreso the latter two. The endo said because the pain initially started at my hip he didn't believe it to be neuropathy and that my PCP should check for sciatica.
I also had pain in my hips off and on, sometimes so much that it hurt a whole lot to walk, but the chiropractor has been working on those, too, and now no pain there.

The chiropractor said tingling in the arms, hands and fingers comes from the nerves in the neck, and tingling in the legs and feet come from nerves in the lower spine. I have all of the above and am hoping the adjustments will take care of it all. The chiropractor thinks it will.

I guess the hips can press on nerves, too. That's a good question for my chiropractor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gizmo said:
I also had pain in my hips off and on, sometimes so much that it hurt a whole lot to walk, but the chiropractor has been working on those, too, and now no pain there.

The chiropractor said tingling in the arms, hands and fingers comes from the nerves in the neck, and tingling in the legs and feet come from nerves in the lower spine. I have all of the above and am hoping the adjustments will take care of it all. The chiropractor thinks it will.

I guess the hips can press on nerves, too. That's a good question for my chiropractor.
Oh I know the pain of walking all too well. I had to call off of work about two weeks ago. Initially I called off because I hadn't slept well due to tingling and pain in my legs and feet. Good thing I stayed home because when I woke up at 10 am that morning and got up for snack time, the pain was so severe I couldn't walk.

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts