The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lemon Chicken

I've been hungry for lemon chicken, but the problem was how to thicken the sauce without having to purchase one of those strange sounding ingredients, then I remembered in the 'olden days' when we made lemon meringue pie, we would thicken the lemon mixture with egg yolks. So today was my first attempt at lemon chicken and my husband and I both think this is delish. I will be making it often.

Lemon Chicken

2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite size chunks
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
10 pkts. Splenda (or sweetener of your choice, to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg yolk

Fry the chicken in oil of choice until lightly browned. Remove, drain, set aside. Place the egg yolk in a small bowl and set aside.

In a small pot, bring the broth, butter, juice, sweetener and ginger to a boil. Remove from heat.

(This next step guarantees you won't have small chunks of cooked egg in your sauce... if you do it right.) Constantly beat the yolk with a fork or whip as you drizzle very small amounts of the lemon mixture into the yolk. Once the yolk mixture is very warm, reverse the procedure by beating the lemon mixture as you drizzle very small amounts of the egg yolk into it until all is combined.

Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring often. Lower heat to a simmer and stir often until mixture is thickened. Stir the chicken into the sauce.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds good, I have some chicken defrosting and didn't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
this sounds really good -- I have all the ingredients & will try tomorrow. Will let you know what my family thinks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It sounds wonderful. Do you think it will taste as good with leftover turkey?
I will try it tomorrow. Tonight we are going to grandson's hockey practice.
Deb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts