The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been a type 2 diabetic for 13 years for most of that time I just let it go, thinking that it wasn't going to get me and hiding it from everyone now at age 23 I'm starting to see some of the effects of being a diabetic and I'm trying to turn it around so I can enjoy the rest of my life.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on deciding to regain control.

Are you on oral meds, insulin, both? Changing my diet was hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be in the beginning. You can do it.

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I did basically the same thing for the better part of 10 years. I have to wonder would I still be having these same probs if I would have taken care of it like I should have? Guess it's too late now to worry myself over that. Now I just have to deal and hope nothing else comes up because of the disease which at this point I can't say it won't.

Welcome to the forum we're glad to have you.

Ive been a type 2 diabetic for 13 years for most of that time I just let it go, thinking that it wasn't going to get me and hiding it from everyone now at age 23 I'm starting to see some of the effects of being a diabetic and I'm trying to turn it around so I can enjoy the rest of my life.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Pmedic. You were diagnosed at a very early age . . . have you been on insulin all this time?

I found the same as did Moon . . . changing my diet wasn't as hard as I had anticipated. Making up your mind to do it is the clincher.

Thank you for joining us . . . we will encourage you within an inch of your life to help you turn it around! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't take any meds starting out. I was only 10 years old 5'8" and weighed over 275lbs! I ate no veggies and ate like crap then pubitury hit I lost roughly 50 pounds pounds. watched what I ate and was more active. But then as a teenage I just let it all go... ate and drank everything I wasnt soppused to. I do not have health insurance and under the new obama law I can not get on my fathers plan cause he is 70 years old on medicaid. But am getting a plan on my own thats some-what afordable. In the mean time I see just my primary doc who gives me free samples of different oral meds to bring my sugar down. Right now in the morning I take 500 mg of metformin combined with 15 mg of actos and 4 mg glizepride and at night I just take 500 mg of metformin with the combined 15 mg of actos. I know its not healthy eating habits but I with my busy school and work schedule I dont eat a big breakfast or lunch most of the time. So my morning glu is around 250's then lunch is 170's then dinner is 120's. so basicly if I dont eat a whole lot during the day my sugar is where it needs to be. But when I ate it goes up. Hopefully I get this insurance worked out and see an endrocrinologists and get the right pills or get placed on a pump. I would think the pump would work better with my busy schedule. Does anyone else have any opinions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is nothing you can do to change the past, so just start doing what you can today. I've been guilty of not being "diabetically responsible", too. We probably all have at some point in our lives. The only time I took it 100% seriously was when I was pregnant with my children. I walked the line then, and go figure, I still had a stillborn baby due to diabetic complications. I've been diabetic for over 20 years now, and I am trying to turn it around too! You have found a real nice place here, with people who will give you all the encouragement and help you need! Just remember, you CAN do it!!!

And Hi! I'm Linda, btw! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
WOW , I can't believe that you were dx'd that young. 5'8" at 10 years old. My kids were all shorties until college and didn't get that tall until 18-20. My baby is still 5'0" and she is graduating from college next month. As far as meds go, metformin is the cheapest. I take the maximum 2550 mg and along with a low carb diet and exercise it lets me get almost normal bgs. Depending on what type of insurance you can get will determine what gets covered. Even though we pay a ton of money every month we have lousy insurance. We have a huge decuctible that has to be met each year before they pay for anything. Insulin pumps for Type 2's will depend on your insurance. They make a lot of type 2's jump through hoops. Have you ever had a C peptide test or a GAD test done. It might be that you are really a LADA and were misdiagnosed and really need inuslin. When you get your insurance that would be the first thing I asked my doctor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I am now 6'3". My last blood work slip the doc wanted to checked to see how much insulin I was producing. This insurance thing isn't easy... Ive been working on it for almost 6 months now... Its a shame I can't get back on my dad's plan with united healthcare thru the railroad (pays for a ton of stuff) But I did talk to someone today at Blue Cross and Blue Shield (the company Im going with now) and they pay for 100% of DME (durable medical equipment) meaning they will pay for an insulin pump if needed...

G

·
welcome Pmedic :) You were diagnosed very young! I was diagnosed with type 2 as a 25yo and back then they thought that was young too. I've heard now that type 2 is being diagnosed in children though. As others have said, all you can do is try your best to turn things around. I would also recommend that you eat regularly otherwise what you're doing is slowing your metabolism down which is not good for your diabetes either (or if you're trying to lose weight). Even if you snack on non-carb vegies that will help keep your metabolism fired up. Reading how you guys in US have all these insurance issues makes me wish you had a system like we have here... we have a national diabetes services scheme that helps with providing subsidised diabetic products. Perhaps US should be looking into a system like this considering that diabetes is epidemic level? We also have a pharmaceutic benefits scheme which covers most medications.... again you get subsidised meds if you hold a current medicare card. eg. One of my insulins would cost me $500... but on the scheme it's only $35 for 6 months or so. We have private insurance also, but our private insurance doesn't cover the stuff that the other 2 schemes I mentioned do... although I can get a free glucometer every couple of years with my health insurance coverage. I'm sure you'll find this forum a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I am also T2 that was diagnosed young. I was 16. I have a friend that her oldest daughter was diagnosed as a T2 at the age of 11. So, it does happen. I was still pretty fit when I was diagnosed and active. They diagnosed my friends daughter when she took her to the dr because she was inexplicably gaining weight. I am of the opinion that T2 diabetes causes you to gain weight, not necessarily the other way around. If you are insulin resistant, your blood sugar is high...if your blood sugar is high your pancreas starts producing large amounts of insulin that your body cant use properly anyway so it starts storing it all in fat cells...and your blood sugar gets higher...etc etc etc...Its a vicious cycle. So dont beat yourself up :) I do agree that this is the time to get a good handle on things though. You say you dont have complications now but I guarantee if you dont get control now you will. I didnt have good control for a long time and had no issues. Now I am 46 years old and have plenty of complications. If I could turn back time, I would get myself under control at an early age. My pancreas produced its own insulin for a long time...over produced really because I was always having high blood sugars. Over time, that damages your pancreas and sort of burns out those little beta cells that produce insulin for you. My pancreas flamed out awhile back now and no longer produces insulin. I sincerely believe that might have happened anyway, but I know it would have not happened so quickly if I had taken care of business like I should have.

I dont know if you have ever seen a diabetic educator, but it is imperative that you control your carbohydrate intake. It isnt just sweet stuff that raises your blood sugar, all carbs do. That baked potato or pasta or rice starts turning into sugar pretty quickly after you eat it. Start lowering your carb intake and I will bet you see those numbers start to come down. If your doctor determines that insulin is best for you, go for it. I think if I had started insulin sooner instead of kicking my pancreas in the butt with sulfonyreas it might have lasted a little longer.

It is not impossible for T2 diabetics to get a pump. I have one. My insurance company (and I am sure most do) have certain criteria you have to meet. I had been using a combo of basal/bolus insulins for awhile with continued problems in getting good control. They also required your dr order of course and that you be testing your blood sugar at least 4 times a day consistently.
I will admit, the pump helped me a lot getting better control. With my job (I work 12 hour shifts at night) it was really difficult keeping any sort of schedule with food and meds and the pump allowed me the flexibility I needed.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. Feel free to ask anything or share anything you like! We are all here to support each other!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts