The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me brag, boast, or whatever is the right English word for the slang word I have in my mind in my mother tongue at this moment. For, as some of you might know "I am middle aged, going on to old age, may be it's to time to brag..." Also, today is an auspicious day to break good news, because over a billion Hindus celebrate this day as the birth day of Lord Krishna, my namesake (but with the name of his dearest consort Radha prefixed.) But then, I am rather irreligious and do not have religious faith even in such serious religions as Low Carb, High Carb, Low Fat, or High Fat, not to speak of the religion I was born in. I don't think I will have any rebirth, this is the one and only diabetic life I will have, although I don't mind being reborn as many times as yonder maple tree has leaves on it (it is mid summer and the maple is dense green with leaves) to work out all my karma :)

Now, on to boasting. I hope my boasting will motivate you all to do exercise at as high level of intensity as your health condition will allow you.

My BG levels and lipid levels have greatly improved and are now on par with those of an average non-diabetic. After an hour of a medium carb meal (around 50 - 70 g of carbs) my bg is typically below 6.5 mmol/L (117 mg/dL), after two hours it is often less than 5.5 (99) and by the time of the next meal (4 hours or more) it goes down typically to around 4.7 (85). My triglyceride level is 1.1 mmol/L (98 mg/dL) and my A1C is 5.2. My resting heart rate has gone down, as also the blood pressure. Typical BP is systolic 102/ diastolic 64, and resting pulse rate is 59.

How did all this happen?

You won't believe me when I will say that all this is due to a technical "problem". Nearly 9 months ago, I noticed that I was developing back pain from my jogging and walking on the treadmill (my main exercise.) It became somewhat severe so I switched over entirely to the elliptical. (Now I realize that the pain was due to my weak back muscles -- now that my muscles have strengthened, I can walk and jog without any problem.) The elliptical soon developed a technical problem. Even at the lowest setting, it began offering very high resistance. From the beginning I knew it was a problem of the electronics inside, and not due to any mechanical snags. Since it was under warranty, I called the service people. A technician arrived and checked all the mechanical parts and told my wife that everything was OK (it was a working day and I was at my workplace, 100 km away from home.) He said that was all he could do. He couldn't do anything about the high resistance. I was resigned to my fate and continued my exercise on the elliptical disregarding the high resistance. After about a month, I realized that I was not feeling the resistance so much. My wife and others said that my muscles were visibly developing (that is very good news for a 59 year old man.) And slowly I realized that I became trim, and had to drill a new hole in my belt. My wife said I stopped snoring (I don't think I snored before, but you know, you have to believe your wife.) My sleep became very deep -- all I know is hitting the bed in the night and as if in the next moment, opening my eyes when the alarm rings in the morning, telling me it is time to exercise (I do my exercise the first thing in the morning.)

Encouraged by this, I fixed a "chin-up bar" on the main beam in the basement and am doing chin-ups also in addition to the elliptical. On my son's suggestion, I have begun taking a little vegan protein powder (a mixture of hemp powder, mixed with protein extract from chlorella, brown rice and yellow pea) in the morning immediately after the exercise. I feel things have greatly improved for me. Well, I have still miles to go -- although most of the "central obesity" is gone, there is still a little left. I plan to upload a photo when I will be able to do the yoga posture that requires taking your belly almost back to the backbone. Hope it will happen in about three months.

I did not do anything except add high intensity to my exercise (which was actually unintentional.) I do the elliptical and chin ups in the morning and walk outdoors for about an hour with my wife in the evening after returning from work (this will have to be on the treadmill once old man winter arrives.). My diet remains almost the same as before. My first bite of the day is on the "vile fructose" -- as soon as I come up from the basement early in the morning profusely sweating from exercise, self and wife share three kiwi fruits. Some days apples instead of kiwi. Then I go up, shower, dress for work and come down to breakfast. Breakfast could be two slices of whole grain multi grain bread with avocado chutney, or 2 dosas with curry, or iddli with curry, or puttu, along with protein powder drink. Typical lunch is rice, curries, yogurt and some green salad. Once I return home from work it is snack time - most times a big cup of fruits -- a melange of pieces of apple, mango, pineapple, and banana, with liberal amounts of blueberries. Sometimes I eat some "nasty" stuff with fruits, such as a piece of laddoo, kaju barfi, besan barfi, or plantain chips etc. And then supper very similar to lunch. And then sleep. My diabetic medication is 750 mg of Metformin, 250 mg along with breakfast and 500 mg with supper.

I plan to upload photos once my tummy goes down to the size when I was 21 years old. I think that will happen soon.

Hope I have provided enough motivation to you all to seriously start doing exercise as much as your health condition will allow you to.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Are you a vegetarian? That holds a whole new set of challenges as a diabetic. Much respect to you!
Yes Jason, I am a vegetarian.

In my late teens, as a rebellion against tradition, I tried consuming meat, fish and alcoholic drinks. I didn't like the taste of meat and fish even after several trials. Again, even after many trials of alcoholic beverages, I still enjoy my sober state far more than the inebriated state and hence there is no motivation to drink alcohol. Once in a while when I am with some friends, I might drink a couple of glasses of wine but even the mild "high" I get from wine is not as enjoyable to me as the perfectly sober state.

Regards,
Rad

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You've done an awesome job, and definitely found something that works for you and for which your body thanks you!

Now, when you upload those photos, you can't just show your flat belly, you have to show the before too, right? I love before/afters ...

All you old guys (my peers) with your 21 yr old looking bodies - salut!

Reactions: Rad Warrier

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Go Go Go!!!

:)

... and congratulations! Exercise is GREAT!

Reactions: Rad Warrier
1 - 6 of 6 Posts