The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let NO ONE use your testing equipment! At least not the lancet device. It says so on the box, but, who reads that?

I tested my son, age 16, about 4X using my meter and lancet. I had some concerns about his blood sugar levels, but they were quite normal. However, I now have reason to believe he's been using drugs, and having unprotected sex! Yes, I am quite concerned about him, but now also concerned about myself. sharing used needles, who would think that would apply to the immediate family!

Just my PSA--public service announcement. If you don't follow safety procedures ALL of the time, its the same as none of the time!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
let NO ONE use your testing equipment! At least not the lancet device. It says so on the box, but, who reads that?

I tested my son, age 16, about 4X using my meter and lancet. I had some concerns about his blood sugar levels, but they were quite normal. However, I now have reason to believe he's been using drugs, and having unprotected sex! Yes, I am quite concerned about him, but now also concerned about myself. sharing used needles, who would think that would apply to the immediate family!

Just my PSA--public service announcement. If you don't follow safety procedures ALL of the time, its the same as none of the time!
And I do mean ANYONE! Even your trusted spouse, who knows, may have been exposed to hepatitis, etc

And, not even the cat! I posted elsewhere you can test a cat using your meter, draw blood from his ear----well, get another meter, you don't need to worry about cat stuff, too!:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Before my hubby was diagnosed I tested him. Thats how I came to the conclusion he should talk to the Dr. I always used a new lancet for him though. My girls have randomly asked me to check the and I always use a new lancet for them and a put in a new one when I go back to me with it.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I've tested my husband and a few of my cousins, and always automatically use a new lancet.

Cheryl - I usually use my lancet until it gets dull and then change it. When it starts to hurt to draw blood, I know it's time to change it. I never throw mine away after each use, but I also don't use it on anyone but me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've tested my husband and a few of my cousins, and always automatically use a new lancet.

Cheryl - I usually use my lancet until it gets dull and then change it. When it starts to hurt to draw blood, I know it's time to change it. I never throw mine away after each use, but I also don't use it on anyone but me.
I test my GF and my brother, but always change the lancet before testing them.

JD

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a new lancet each and every time. I had a couple of higher than expected readings in a row so I got the bright idea to change the needle and immediately test again. My reading came down by a lot. For me it's the test strips that cost a bundle ... not the lancets.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Linda

·
Cheryl
693 Posts
Hmm I think I might try using just one lancet a day. I know they do not cost a lot bit every little bit does help. I certaintly would not test someone else using a lancet I have already used or vice versa. Thanks for the money savings tip

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The danger is eliminated as long as we install a new lancet in the lancing device before testing someone else, and install another new one before testing ourselves again.

But I'm sorry for your new concerns about your son, Kristina. :hug:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I am criticized too much---

I use the Accu Chex lancet the barrel type. It holds 7 lancets, but they can be re-used a few times. The cartridge is difficult for me to replace, but the pen is easy for me to use. have severe arthritis in my hands, which makes changing the cartridge difficult. I usually have my husband change it once/week.

Yes, I know, don't share needles, etc. I posted this, not to draw criticism, but to point out to others dangers we might not be aware of. You really just never know, better to be safe than sorry....for everyone who posted a reply, there's many more just lurking, who might read/heed my warning!

·
Registered
640 Posts
When I first started testing, I changed the lancet each time. Then I started reading about people who didn't. Now I try to remind myself to change it on the 15th of each month. I probably should change it after a really high number, though, now that I think about it because maybe there's a tiny bit of sugary blood left on it.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Before I am criticized too much---

I use the Accu Chex lancet the barrel type. It holds 7 lancets, but they can be re-used a few times. The cartridge is difficult for me to replace, but the pen is easy for me to use. have severe arthritis in my hands, which makes changing the cartridge difficult. I usually have my husband change it once/week.
Is that the muliclix lancet you use Kristina? I love that lancet! But I so rarely change my needle, that by the time I have gone through all the needles in the barrel, I have to go to the website to see how to replace the drum!!

My first 3 month supply of drums will probably last my lifetime, but I just reordered again so the rx would still be active.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NEVER use a lancet more than once, they dull. If you use it more than once it just starts to hurt more and more. They range in price but you can always get the cheap ones, they still work. Just saying. Also you're not getting your best reading if you reuse your lancet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
NEVER use a lancet more than once, they dull. If you use it more than once it just starts to hurt more and more. They range in price but you can always get the cheap ones, they still work. Just saying. Also you're not getting your best reading if you reuse your lancet.
Actually, it's ok to reuse your lancet. Never share, of course. But I can use mine for months and have never noticed it dulling. I think telling people to use a fresh one each time is just another ploy for big pharma to make money on diabetics.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
There is nothing wrong with reusing a lancet. It is a complete waste of money to use a new lancet every time. No, reusing a lancet does not affect your blood sugar readings.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
I re-use for months, no problems. I think I actually made someone mad several months back saying I resharpened and lowered the depth setting until it quit drawing blood. I was kidding, but would never 'fess' up to that at the time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I change my lancet with each tub of strips. Just a habit I got into or I would not change it at all I think.
I don't agree on just changing the needle when testing others though. There is a very little spray (microscopic) with each prick onto the gadget and that is just as dangerous. Hepatitis B is apparently the biggest risk as it lives for a long time. HIV is very fragile so not much risk of that. If you want to test other people you can get disposable lancets that the blood donation people use and completely safe.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts