The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to figure out why my vision is blurry even when my bs is not high. Like today my fbs was 93, but I'm really having to struggle to see the computer screen. I haven't found enough information to know how to watch for problems and what can be done to prevent permanent damage.

How do you deal with it and does your vision parallel your sugar levels?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The eye swells when BG is high this causes the eye to be out of focus. it can take several weeks for the eye to get back to shape when BG levels return to normal. so if in the course of a week you spend a good portion high, coming down for a couple of days is still going to leave you with blurry vision.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I haven't been able to figure out why my vision is blurry even when my bs is not high. Like today my fbs was 93, but I'm really having to struggle to see the computer screen. I haven't found enough information to know how to watch for problems and what can be done to prevent permanent damage.

How do you deal with it and does your vision parallel your sugar levels?
Diana, have you had a diabetic eye exam since your diagnosis? If not, you might want to get one. High blood sugar can cause some eye problems. I get blurry vision when my blood sugar is above 200 and then when it comes down, my vision is OK. Having diabetes can cause you to have retinopathy and cataracts. I just had cataract surgery in May because my eyeglass prescription was changing every six weeks and I could not keep up with the changes without going to the poor house. In July of last year, I had some retinopathy but it is gone now.

G

·
Diabetes and Eye Tests..!!

I read someplace (don't know if it was here, or on another diabetes web site), that you should wait until your bg levels out toward the normal range before you get your eyes tested. Ask Shanny.. I would think she knows more about it than I do.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Since my cataract surgeries replaced my natural lenses with specific prescription intraocular implant lenses, yes - I kept my BG in tight control leading up to it because I didn't want to risk any miscue in the prescriptions of the intraocular lenses. What the time table would be on that, I have not the remotest idea - all I knew was that the minute Medicare kicked in, I wanted that done, so I was being really compulsive about it. But my cataracts preceded my diabetes by many years, so not sure my experience is relevant.

And when my ophthalmologist questioned me about my general health (as he should, you know - he's a regular MD, and needs to be aware of other medical issues too), I admitted I hadn't had any "wellness" tests done for many years, due to lack of insurance. He suggested we postpone the cataract procedures until I'd had the colonoscopy/mammogram/etc/etc., to check for more serious maladies like cancer. I may have stopped him in mid-sentence . . . NOTHING is going to get between me & getting rid of these cataracts! Not diabetes, not cancer, not ANYthing!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had cataract surgery (both eyes) when I was in my mid-40's. Last year I started having too many "blurry days" so I got new glasses, then took them back because within a week my sight seemed worse than before. Ended up at an opthamologist who did a procedure to remove a film that had grown over the lens, but they never asked about diabetes and I had no reason to think about it. Ever since then I'm way too sensitive to light...it's been crazy. BUT....I have since found out that my A1c at that point was 6.7 but I didn't even know what it was so for an entire year I was not testing or watching my diet or exercising....then a year later my A1c was 7.6. I can only surmise that my eyes were damaged during that year. I dont' know if there's anything I can do....my insurance doesn't cover anything with the eyes. Thanks for all your input...I appreciate it so much.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I read someplace (don't know if it was here, or on another diabetes web site), that you should wait until your bg levels out toward the normal range before you get your eyes tested. Ask Shanny.. I would think she knows more about it than I do.

Breeze 2 User
If is not recommended that you get a vision test for new glasses if your blood sugar is above 120. A dilated eye exam is different.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Whenever possible I would get an eye exam where they dilate your eyes and examine the retina. Diabetics should have this done yearly. My vision had gotten so bad I was even having a hard time driving. Turned out I only have a small degree of non-proliferative retinopathy but I did have macular edema in both eyes caused by leaking vessels in my retina. I required laser surgery on both eyes to correct it. After a few weeks passed (time for all that extra fluid to reabsorb) she checked my vision again and I am nearly 20/20 now. I need readers for small print...but hey..I am 45 years old what can I expect? :p

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And I need only readers for small print too (mostly those dratted labels on processed foods! :rolleyes:) . . . at age 65! Hallelujah! ;)

And y'know what? Despite the heat/humidity this month, it's the coolest summer I've had in 58 years. Specs are just plain hot to wear - so glad they're gone!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
grrr dont even go there with the heat....we are melting in Texas..

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
And I need only readers for small print too (mostly those dratted labels on processed foods! :rolleyes:) . . . at age 65! Hallelujah! ;)

And y'know what? Despite the heat/humidity this month, it's the coolest summer I've had in 58 years. Specs are just plain hot to wear - so glad they're gone!
I just got my new glasses at Walmart. I can see without them, but my vision isn't 20/20 so to be on the safe side, I wear them when I drive. I would rather not wear glasses though! :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts