The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I adore pizza, it's just one thing I don't want to give up. So I wanted to hear what alternatives you guys have found that sate that craving?

We make individual pizzas on these whole wheat pitas that are 30g per pita and they don't affect my blood sugar any differently. I use no sugar sauce, about 2oz cheese and load with veggies and then some pepperoni.

If I'm doing true low carb, we use portobello mushrooms for the crust... and if you love pepperoni and mushroom pizza, this is so good.

I also make a veggie lasagna, where I use zucchini and yellow squash as "noodles" and then top with pizza toppings... probably a fat and cholesterol bomb, but it fills that ooey, gooey, cheesy italian food craving.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have experimented with different crusts. I make a foccacia bread with flaxseed and italian spices and cheese and it comes out close to a pizza crust. I usually cut it in small squares and make individual pizzas. I like to spread pesto sauce , and other pizza toppings on top. I have also made them with those flat out tortillas. I usually spay the tortilla wtih pam or olive oil and crisp in oven for a few minutes ( watch carefully they burn quickly). Then spread with your favorite topping. I think a big tortilla is around 7 net carbs. It is so filling I rarely eat more than 1/2.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We go to our favorite pizza place and I only eat the toppings. OK, I've snuck a couple bites of crust.. but mostly only the toppings.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Okay, so I adore pizza, it's just one thing I don't want to give up. So I wanted to hear what alternatives you guys have found that sate that craving?

We make individual pizzas on these whole wheat pitas that are 30g per pita and they don't affect my blood sugar any differently. I use no sugar sauce, about 2oz cheese and load with veggies and then some pepperoni.

If I'm doing true low carb, we use portobello mushrooms for the crust... and if you love pepperoni and mushroom pizza, this is so good.

I also make a veggie lasagna, where I use zucchini and yellow squash as "noodles" and then top with pizza toppings... probably a fat and cholesterol bomb, but it fills that ooey, gooey, cheesy italian food craving.
mmmmmm...truely yummy! but I have all those with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder and drink a glassful of Fibogel to flush all the glucose out..:D:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I go w/ the thin slice and limit myself to 1 slice (if I can this hard to do) and take a big dose of my oral meds and usually end up running/riding after to burn off the extra blood sugar

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you use flax powder in dough or as sprinkle on top like oregano. I am asking because I have some flax, and want to put to use.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Some of my exploits into pizza land:

Carbquick pizza crust, good
WASA fiber crackers as the crust, like it
Zuchini crusted pizza, OK, have to eat it with a fork
Upside down pizza: Parchment paper, lay 1-2lb bag of moz cheese down on to the parchment paper spread it out about an inch thick. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Add your toppins then place back into oven, cook until everything is holding together. This is good but really heavy, like eating a lead brick.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use whole wheat and some times mixture of lentil powders, oregano, basil, 1/4 fenogreek powder(it really reduces sugarlevels afterwords) in my dough. Mostly use cottage cheese or tofu along with some mozarella+ all the available veggies...:))

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
For cottage cheese, do you mean paneer? MMMMMMMMMMM!

Yes the cauli crust is terrific!

Have you tried subbing cauli for rice, yet?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
No, Anuradha, not rice, at all -- you grind up cauliflower and stir-fry it, for the TEXTURE of rice!

It works great in pullao recipes and fried rice (Chinese-style!). I use it to bed curries and stir-fried veg!

·
Registered
221 Posts
No, Anuradha, not rice, at all -- you grind up cauliflower and stir-fry it, for the TEXTURE of rice!

It works great in pullao recipes and fried rice (Chinese-style!). I use it to bed curries and stir-fried veg!
Oh, Wow! I can use it as white sauce for my augratins too, in the place of all purpose flour(maida). will let You know after trying...thanq.:D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not sure of the texture working in white sauces -- maybe if really well-cooked!

But yes, Cauli-rice is GREAT!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I grate cauli , some ginger and garlick, lots of corainder and stuff parathas. will try cauli rice next time, does it suit brown rice though??!!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I don't know ... the texture really is more like Middle Eastern couscous, anyhow -- but it seems to take rice's place on the plate, well enough!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts