The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, at the moment im using lantus twice a day, humulin 70/30 twice a day, and humalog at each meal. i have just recently started taking the humulin, no matter what i have tried in the past i cant get my numbers down, i am thinking of asking my endo when i start seeing him next week about switching insulins, particurlarly from lantus to levemir. is anyone using levemir and if so how does it seem to work for you.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hi Welchbradley, welcome to the DF. I use Levemir and Humulog. The Levemir I use at night or bedtime, currently using 46 units. I'm still having difficulty getting morning fbg down, but it is coming down. My most recent reading was 189, and I was usually in the low to mid 300's prior to beginning Levemir (almost on a month now). The Humulog I take at meal times and I'm still tweaking with it, but it seems to work pretty good for me. I do watch my carbs very carefully with each meal, and sometimes I'm either not eating enough, or using too much insulin. So, I'm still in trial and error, but getting better. I used Lantus years ago and it did not do very well for me. I gained alot of weight using Lantus as well. I've gained some weight with Levemir, but again trying to watch very carefully. Hopefully I can manage to keep it below 10 lbs. gain. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've switched to Levemir from Lantus a yaer ago And i'm soooo happy with it. It's not so strong as Lantus but I belive thats why it's beter for me

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have only ever used Levemir, and at the moment it seems to be wearing off earlier and earlier. Many people split the dose successfully. I am still thinking about it, but last time I tried that it made me take more, and I STILL ran high! Ugh.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was just prescribed the lememier pen and I have taken it so far 5 times, and it made my #'s lower, from 500's now down in the 300's if I could get ahold with my diet and excersise and start taking the humalog as also prescribed, I MAY could get my numbers down greatly ... I am also on metformin, but I am not doin g well at taking everything yet as prescribed.... I WILL get there.. Good luck !!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Since my last post I have split my Levemir 2 / 8 (2 in the morning and 8 at night), and it has helped my evening numbers a LOT. Starting out before dinner at 90 instead of 130 sure makes my post-meal numbers lower, with the same amount of novolog! I mean, I know, DUH, but ... it really helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts