The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...this is my first post. I sent an email to the manufacturer of the Levemir pen but they won't get it until 1/3/12. My doctor started me on the Levemir pen 12/1/11 at one dose. He said to go up one dose every other day. When I got to 15 dose strength I got a new pen. I can not push the button down. I am now at 16 and when I push the button down I only get 8, then I reinject and push 8 and get only 3. I am very discouraged. I simply can't push the button in although on the first pen I remember having no problem with 14. Any help please? Thank you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm not familiar with that pen as I use the Lantus Solostar. I suspect that you may be doing something incorrectly. Why not ask your Pharmacist? They maybe able to help.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, silkywings. I have no experience with injecting insulin, but Tim's suggestion to ask your pharmacist is a good idea. And thank you for joining us - do visit often and share with us more about yourself & how you manage your diabetes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i use the levemir pen, i sometime have a hard time taking a shot with the pen, but nothing of this caliber, normally when i do have trouble, i will press the button, and as the plunger is working, it will slow down, stop, i will release, then press it again, and it will go down 3 or 4 units, stop and then i will start again and it will finish. it does not do this all the time, but it works like this everytime i do have the trouble. i notice i normally have this problem if i try to inject in scar tissue or if i dont allow the pen to come to room temp before injecting the first innjection with the pen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your replies. I did go see my pharmacist today and he said I might be pushing the needle in too hard or too fast. He said to just push it in gently, then push the plunger. It worked fine for him so I will try it tonight. And I will try keeping the needle in while I try to plunge over and over. So the beat goes on...Happy New Year everyone, be safe and dare to be silly!

·
Registered
79 Posts
pen

Thank you for all your replies. I did go see my pharmacist today and he said I might be pushing the needle in too hard or too fast. He said to just push it in gently, then push the plunger. It worked fine for him so I will try it tonight. And I will try keeping the needle in while I try to plunge over and over. So the beat goes on...Happy New Year everyone, be safe and dare to be silly!
the pharmacist is right slow and easy will work if you do it to fast you will get a hard knot that will be sore for while your body trys to absorb it so do it slow and easy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi when I used the flex pens sometimes when you screw the needle on it doesn't go into the pierce the rubber so the insulin won't come out so I would change the needle then it seemed to work fine
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi when I used the flex pens sometimes when you screw the needle on it doesn't go into the pierce the rubber so the insulin won't come out so I would change the needle then it seemed to work fine
Good luck
Perfect Mark thank you. I stopped at the drugstore this afternoon and my pharmacist (a different one) explained the exact same thing you just emailed me. Terrific. I didn't know about screwing the needle (I just pushed it on) and piercing the rubber. So now I can hardly wait to try it tonight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the pharmacist is right slow and easy will work if you do it to fast you will get a hard knot that will be sore for while your body trys to absorb it so do it slow and easy
Thanks...you are right and I thought I was doing that. I think it is because I wasn't gettng the insulin and pushed the needle in without knowing that (I tried three times and gave up!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts