The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo, I met with my endo today re:switching from pump to insulin injections for a month. He wants me on a regime of levemir 2x daily (splitting my basal) and humalog at meals/snacks/as needed. I'm also on symlin 3x daily so it's going to be a LOT of shots.

Anyone have success with a regiment like this? Any experiences with levemir? I'm so nervous to switch over! My morning basals especially tend to be so whacky that I really dread waking up with a sky-high blood sugar reading.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Cant hep you with the switch.

Not that it's any of my business but why go off the pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going on a retreat where they'd feel "a lot more comfortable" if I was on shots. I didn't want to cause any waves so...I figured I'd just go with it. But I have such tight control and am kind of anxious about it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
No way would I switch for them. Ask them if they'd feel "more comfortable" with a diabetic who is out of control or in control?

You have a pancreas that is not working properly your pump is doing a good job of taking care of you.

Would they ask a person with a prosthetic leg not to wearer it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What kind of retreat is it that wont let you take care of your self. If they told me that I couldn't rake my pump I would just have to say Good Bye and be on my way.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's camp.
It IS? I saw that it's a retreat and a "program", but I didn't see that it was camping.

In any case, all it proves is the ignorance of the staff that believes MDI is better than a pump. I'm beginning to think I'd make waves if it were me. Our control is too hard-won to allow unwitting people to make the rules.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe it is a diabetes retreat and they are going to use her as an example of how diverse you can be as an insulin dependent diabetic.

G

·
I use the term metaphorically, in that the "retreat" may include physical activities where at one time someone who wore a pump had problems with it (during the activity). To avoid any future problems, and to protect themselves from any litigation...the "retreat" now chooses to use a strict MDI only policy. I doubt their restriction has anything to do with diabetic ignorance. I could be wrong. Maybe the OP can enlighten us after the retreat with their logic concerning that decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts