The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limu juice is made from a certain brown seaweed only found in 3 or 4 countries, but not the U.S. The name of the seaweed is Laminaria japonica. Here is an article about the seaweed:
Seaweed.ie :: Laminaria

The main ingredient in the seaweed is Fucoidan. There have been studies done on the health effects of Fucoidan:
Sloan-Kettering - Fucoidan

It is claimed that Limu juice can be helpful to those with diabetes:
NewBerry Can Limu help Diabetes?

The 2 warnings are that someone could be allergic to the sea kelp, or if someone is under medical supervision for a thyroid disorder they would have to talk to their doctor first before considering any sea kelp as they are high in iodine and may interfere with thyroid medication.

There is also a supplement in pill or capsule form called Fucoidan. I didn't investigate it, but assume it is supposed to do the same thing as the Limu juice.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I used to eat limu while growing up in Hawaii. Wonder if this is from the same plant?

The stuff I know is totally an acquired taste. Nothing at all like sushi wrap. Sea veggies are healthy in general, but specific benefits? Dunno.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andrew Weil advises us to save our money
Thanks for the link, Shanny. Andrew Weil wrote the article in 2007, and as per the research link above, some of the research was done after that time, and seems to be positive, so I'm not ruling out Limu juice until I try it. I don't like the way it is sold on the pyramid, but some products are sold that way like Avon, Saladmaster and others, and are good products.

I ordered it and took my first dose this morning. I'll let you know what the results are.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I won't be able to test the Limu juice after all. Before I started taking it, was having trouble with my legs, feet, hips, left arm, side of the hand and baby finger, have had trouble sleeping the past 2 weeks, not from pain, just not sleepy. Not under any stress, walking on the treadmill 20 min. per day, been faithfully eating 30 net carbs. No matter what I do, can't get my bg below 100. Have eaten about 15 carbs per day the past 2 days, still can't get it down, maybe because of the not much sleep thing.

Anyway, I took Limu the 7th, 8th and morning of the 9th, but don't know whether it was helping or hurting, but just in case it is hurting, decided I'd better stop. Sorry I can't test it out, guys, I'm too big of a mess right now to give it a fair trial. DH is taking it, but he only takes his bg about once a week, and only if forced to do it, so that wouldn't tell us anything. But he has acid reflux, has been on meds for that for yrs. with stomach pains almost daily. He did say his stomach hasn't hurt at all since he has been taking it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts