The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got great news! Triglycerides on 4/14/10 was 270, 6/1/10 down to 123.
Cholesterol on 4/14/10 was 153, 6/1/10 down to 137! Bad news-HDL holding steady at 28 :( Glucose was 71 and A1C up to 5.5 (was 5.2 on 4/14/10). Sure wish I knew of a sure method to raise my HDL. I heard that taking niacin can help but it causes diabetes meds and insulin to be less effective. Overall, I am happy with the test results. :) I think taking the fish oil did help with the triglycerides and my doctor told me to take at least 3000MG per day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great news!! :thumb: This last doc I saw told me to take 1000mg of fishoil to raise my HDL. I already take that amount, LOL, which is less than the instructions on the bottle. I am going to take your docs advice and take 3000mg.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great news!! :thumb: This last doc I saw told me to take 1000mg of fishoil to raise my HDL. I already take that amount, LOL, which is less than the instructions on the bottle. I am going to take your docs advice and take 3000mg.
Try and get fish oil that has a high amount of EPA & DHA. I have been reading about fish oil and got several brochures from the health food store HSU and they all claim the extra benefits of the amount of EPA & DHA.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmmm, this last bottle I got was Natures Bounty, it just says fish oil, 1200mg then just has EPA and DHA listed under and then says Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 360mg. Doesn't list a level of EPA or DHA. I prob shouldn't pick up the cheapest I find, LOL.

Or is EPA and DHA Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, this last bottle I got was Natures Bounty, it just says fish oil, 1200mg then just has EPA and DHA listed under and then says Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 360mg. Doesn't list a level of EPA or DHA. I prob shouldn't pick up the cheapest I find, LOL.

Or is EPA and DHA Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids?
I am taking Omega Mint. The supplemental facts list fish oil concentrate 1500MG, EPA 300MG, DHA 200MG. I am going to be looking for new products with a higher amount of EPA & DHA.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Wow...thats awesome! Heh....I think I will increase my fish oil too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I take 2400 mg each day....and have been for over a year. You can't really take "too much" and Breeze is right about the EPA & DHA. I also take 4000IU of vitamin D3 every day....and there is some thought that it can also help with diabetes?

I may be way behind on common knowledge of all this since I'm just now learning, but I was surprised to find this info. Especially since I've been taking it for over a year so why did I still develop Type 2....

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 08, 2009
Vitamin D3 and Diabetes
The role of Vitamin D3 in type 1 and 2 is now more important than everything except insulin. It is important that the wide ranging effects on every aspect D3 in understood by people with diabetes because of D3 contributing to so many complications.

The Vitamin D Council has wisely chosen these articles (sent out in this newsletter the past few weeks) to represent the cross section of problems attributable to low D. Were you aware that Finland increased the incidence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes to 80% of the population by the government decision to drastically lower the amounts of D3 supplementation? Did you know that the reintroduction of Vitamin D3 to the amounts use 15-20 years ago restored the incidence of diabetes 1 and 2 in Finland back to that other Western Countries?

Did you know that virtually all complications of diabetes are at least in part attributable to low vitamin D3, not just in the incidence of complications but the severity?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts