The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Pretty happy I found this app for my iPhone. I got diagnosed with type 2 in 2004. Was meant to control it with meds but I never for years. For the past 12 months I started taking my meds properly but I think I left it too late. When I got diagnosed my BSL were around the 25 mark. FOr as long as I can remember my levels have been high. Since I been taking my meds my levels have been 30 and higher. Soooo my doctor put me on insulin one month ago today. For the first week I was just having it before dinner. Now he has split my units up for morning and night. I def got to say it's a hard thing to get used to injecting yourself. I hate it just hope I can get used to it. But on a happier note since taking insulin my blood sugar levels have been just about perfect. :). I have had 2 hypos since taking insulin. But got onto them real fast before they got too bad. Anyways that's my story with the "beaties" lol.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Lisa :) I'm type 2 on insulin also. I agree it was hard at first getting used to injecting, but it doesn't take long to get used to it... mind over matter mostly. I take 4 injections daily (3x bolus, 1x basal). It appears your doc has just got you on basal at the moment. Are you on Lantus? You guys there in QLD have copped a fair bit this year... I hope everything Ok for you there. This forum is great for support, etc. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Lisa, and thank you for joining us! Insulin is a terrific tool for managing blood sugar levels, and I trust you'll become accustomed to injecting and feel like it's second nature.

Take care and visit us often!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Lisa! I wasn't thrilled about shots either. I used to take between 6-8 shots a day, but now I have an insulin pump! I used to use humalin n for my long acting insulin (basal). I am allergic to lantus (spelling may be off)! Great job on perfect blood sugars! :0)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps everyone !! I got a question.... I'm only new to the whole insulin thing and I see people talking about a pump. What exactly is it? Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
An insulin pump gives insulin every hour. Instead of Taking a long acting insulin the pump delivers a short acting (humolog or novalog) every hour. It has a wireless communication with the blood checker. You just count carbs and take your blood sugar and the pump figures the amount of insulin to take! Some pumps have the ability to check your blood sugar every Hour. The pump has a plastic tubing inserted by a needle. You change if every 3-4 days.

O

·
0 Posts
yeah that's my psychological hurdle too... having something stuck in me all the time. I also heard a couple of stories from a type 1 colleague I used to work with who was on a pump and it put me off. But like anything... you probably get used to it if you're using one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It can be self conscious, but now I don't care! Haha.. At first it bothered me but I've become used to it! I live in Texas and my friends always float the river, its frustrating because I have the pump, the pump site becomes loose, I have to take shots every hour! It can be a mess!! and it can be awkward in intimate situations. But as Petty as it sounds it's a life saver! Just have to readjust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Darcypm said:
It can be self conscious, but now I don't care! Haha.. At first it bothered me but I've become used to it! I live in Texas and my friends always float the river, its frustrating because I have the pump, the pump site becomes loose, I have to take shots every hour! It can be a mess!! and it can be awkward in intimate situations. But as Petty as it sounds it's a life saver! Just have to readjust
Darcy...which pump are you on? I used to be on the medtronics minimed, but after it being ripped out a couple of times I gave up on it. Those awkward moments weren't any fun either. In the end I didn't mind the shots...the needles are much smaller and thinner than when I was younger. I know many other people who love it though. To each their own. :)
I recently heard of the omnipod, however, which doesn't have any tubing and can be worn in the water. Anyone heard of or is using it???? I would love feedback on it. It would be nice to not have to make my husband roll over so I can get out of bed without it being ripped out. I did love the convenience of the pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm on the medtronic minimed.. Not sure the type.. The one with the ability to check blood sugars. My insurance doesn't cover it, so I just Check manually. Sounds bad but I'm not disciplined about checking my sugar, I base it off my body's feeling! Prolly the reason for a higher a1c (7.9). I haven't had any trouble with my insulin pump.. Thankfully. May be a bit too much information, but I put my pump in my sports bra when I sleep! Helped tremendously!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Strawberry used the Omnipod until she had to switch because when she went on Medicare, it wouldn't pay for the Omnipod.

If she happens by, give her a hollar.

I recently heard of the omnipod, however, which doesn't have any tubing and can be worn in the water. Anyone heard of or is using it???? I would love feedback on it. It would be nice to not have to make my husband roll over so I can get out of bed without it being ripped out. I did love the convenience of the pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. I don't really like the sound of the pump. No offense. Lol. Why do people go on the pump instead of injecting it yourself ? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was allergic to some of the long acting insulin. human n is the only one I can take! I really don't know why I chose to go on the pump! I wanted to switch back to injections but my parents didn't allow it..

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was allergic to some of the long acting insulin. human n is the only one I can take! I really don't know why I chose to go on the pump! I wanted to switch back to injections but my parents didn't allow it..
My 11yo grandniece has been on a pump for years - it gives SO much better control & now that she's getting older, it gives her more independence too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts