The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help??? Mr doctor is putting me on this drug and I have no idea why! I googled it, and it's for high blood pressure. I don't have high blood pressure.

I got diagnosed with diabetes last week and all the nurse said it was because of something in my urine.

I am freaking out until my doctor can call back to explain it, but can anyone help me in the meantime????

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It has been shown to protect your kidneys when you have diabetes. It's okay. It works best when taken at bedtime.

Does it make you dizzy at all? It did, me, at first, especially when I stood up suddenly. Hardly ever now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! My doc just called and explained everything. Im hoping that I don't notice any side effects. I'll be starting it tonight!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Lisinopril made me cough, so my doc switched me to atenolol. I don't know the differences in renal effects, but I have good blood pressure now & I don't cough anymore.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It has been shown to protect your kidneys when you have diabetes. It's okay. It works best when taken at bedtime.

Does it make you dizzy at all? It did, me, at first, especially when I stood up suddenly. Hardly ever now.
Linda - I'm a horrible web searcher and know you have science brain, so....how convincing is the evidence that a medication that's not specifically indicated (say, by the absence of elevated BP) should be part of someone's regimen. I'm just wondering if this isn't similar to the over-broad use of statins.

Thanks,
Jen

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A lot of doctors will put their Diabetic patients of a BP med to protect their kidneys. Luckily my doctor is not one of them. The best way to protect your kidneys is to keep your bgs as close to normal 70-120 as possible. The higher your bgs are the more glycation or sugar coating you get in your blood vessels leading to major organs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts