The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are well established low carbing in induction phase how can your liver do a dump if you have depleted your glucagon stores?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Because you don't depleate them. Your liver replace what ever was used in about 24 to 36 hours. It doesn't take long. The other part is that it won't dump it all at once. Only in little bits at a time and then when you eat the first glucose used will go to replaceit.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Because you don't depleate them. Your liver replace what ever was used in about 24 to 36 hours. It doesn't take long. The other part is that it won't dump it all at once. Only in little bits at a time and then when you eat the first glucose used will go to replaceit.
;):):rockon::):) what he said

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your body needs the glycogen to keep your body going, so as said above it never completely depletes it. It is a survival mechanism. Also when you are eating low carb your body turns the protein you eat into glucose but at a much slower rate. Some also think fat can be turned into glucose. The way you stop liver dumps is to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Also the drug metformin works in the liver to limit these spikes, but they still happen. The spike is just smaller.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
All sources agree that you cannot get into ketosis without first "depleting" your glycogen stores. I doubt if that means absolutely zero, but I've never found anyone go into that much detail. However, "depleted" is a point of consensus. It is a prerequisite to your body switching to ketosis.

Glycogen stores are NOT needed when in a state of ketosis and are not essential to health. When fully in ketosis, 95% of your cells do not need glucose at all and they are using ketones instead. The tiny number which must have glucose can get it directly from gluconeogenesis in the liver which can make up to 200g of glucose in a 24 hr. period.

Just doing Atkins induction doesn't necessarily mean you are in full ketosis. Some people find it harder to achieve than others. Atkins tends to focus on carbs and not get very specific about protein. Also, you really need to focus on PROPORTIONS and not absolute quantities. If protein is still high (no matter how low carbs are), it is true that the liver could produce enough glucose to partially replenish the glycogen stores and dumps would be possible, although probably smaller.

I can stop them completely when I do everything just right. Any slight departure from my usual routine (mostly when travelling) and I will find my liver able to dump some glucose first thing in the morning. Otherwise, not.

If you are well established low carbing in induction phase how can your liver do a dump if you have depleted your glucagon stores?

Reactions: Patdart
1 - 7 of 7 Posts