The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - It is just so crazy that my identity, who I once knew myself to be, suddenly is a "person with diabetes" rather than just the "me" I've always known!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Im still me, in the mortal words of Alec Baldwin "I am allergic to carbs". no different than being allergic to peanut butter. it does not define me, it is part of me.

PS welcome

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, once you get used to managing it, I hope you'll be able to get past that, because the 'me' you have always been is still here - you just have to make a few adjustments to make sure the diabetes part doesn't get the reins. We often consider diabetes as the uninvited/unwelcome hitchhiker, and we never let him drive. ;)

If you haven't been diagnosed, you can still behave as though you were, because taking the steps to change our lifestyles ahead of time can often keep the diabetes 'wolf' from the door for a lot longer time. If you haven't already, you could consider getting a meter & strips for yourself, and keeping an eye on your blood sugar levels.

Another thing you could do is click over to this website, and prowl around . . . Jenny Ruhl is the owner - a diabetic herself - and she is such a godsend to us for putting diabetes details into layman's language, plus citing all the research and studies which support the information she provides.

If you decide you want to make changes in your way-of-eating, Dr. Eenfeldt and Dr. Bernstein are trusted guides, even though virtually none of us actually practice their suggestions to the letter. It's more that we use their advice as the jumping off place to make our own individual food plans using our meters to learn which foods are safest for each of us. We can talk more about eating to your meter after you've gotten settled in & better acquainted.

Thank you for joining us! :hug:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! I'm still the person I've always been...still allergic to certain foods, weeds, flowers. I sure never considered being an allergic person, or one with high blood pressure, just me. So, now I have another condition (in my mind not a disease). Follow Shanny's advice and return to yourself.

Good luck,

G

·
For yrs and yrs I was called Debbie's mum as she was a well known televised wheelchair athlete .And I was nurse for BSAD disabled sports in Britain, so that is the name every one called me .even now I get Xmas cards from her friends as that is how they are addressed but they still get to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - thank you all so much!! I completely get what you all are saying, I've defined myself by things before and still been me, such as "julia's mom". I have to work on it. I just love what you all wrote and this forum is great, so much support! So glad I came here!! Sonia

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My youngest son told his friends he was very lucky that his mum got diabetes because he gets so much good food now :)
Diabetes is just something I share my life with. I am the same as I always have been.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You know what, a year ago I started a blog about being a diabetic, but I've let the domain lapse because I realized I didn't have to center myself around being insulin resistant. I'm still me, and in fact I'm even more "me" because I have more energy to do things I want to do! I used to be so tired while showering that I could hardly imagine having the energy to dry off and go to bed. I remember the first time I was finished my shower and thought "I have enough energy, I could even shower again!" It's the little things!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great blog post

Hi Everyone, I found a great blog post that speaks to having an illness that is always with you, here it is: It is written by a gal named Shelly Maguire who has Cystic Fibrosis...

First I want you to know that you are not alone – I will be with you every day.

At first, you will ask yourself why did you have to make me a part of your life.

I know that you will talk about me to your family and friends and your words will not always be kind. I understand the burden I have placed on you.

I will be the cause of some of your darkest moments but at times, also give you hope. I hope you will celebrate the small milestones that we achieve, together.

I will require a great deal of your time and I admit that I need a lot of attention. I don’t mean to consume your life and make it all about “me” – but that just is the way it is.

I am going to need small favors from those who know and love you because they will have to help you help me.

There will be times that I embarrass you and make you self conscious – that is not my intention. I hope you will use those moments to let yourself shine.

I realize there are times where you would like to leave me behind – if only for one day. I am sorry but that is not an option . . even when you take a vacation – I won’t.

I will be a constant reminder of the word commitment and I will try to force you into giving up – but don’t. I want you to prove to me that quitting is never an option.

I know there is a part of you which blames me for the worst days of your life. I can understand your resentment of me at times.

And, as some will try to separate us forever because they think it is best for you – there is a small part of you that believes I have made you what you are . . .

that I have been the reason you appreciate every sunrise, every hug, every laugh and every day that I am still with you.

I am your disease, I am your disability, I am what makes you strong.
I'm not allowed to post links yet here but if want you can search for Shelly Maguire blog :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts