The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as low carb bread? I went to a health food store today, but the bread there had just as many carbs as regular bread. I did notice that my blood sugar went up from eating at Subway. So I starting metformin again. Is anyone on Metformin ER? Is this any better than metformin twice a day? I do not have my dietician appt for another month. The only place to see a dietician is at the hospital, and of course they are booked up.

I'm glad I have this website. It is nice to chat with people who understand what you are going through.:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There are a few breads available that might not spike you, Michele. Look for high fiber - very high fiber - and NO sugar, NO High Fructose Corn Syrup or corn syrup solids. There's a brand called Nature's Own that makes several high fiber varieties, and they have eliminated HFCS from all of their products. So some of their breads are labeled "sugar-free" and those are the ones I reach for. Even if you find something that doesn't spike you, it may have to be an occasional treat, like only one slice, or only once or twice a week. Just test before you eat it, and then test again an hour later. If it spikes you beyond your upper target level, then it might have to be a no-no.

I've never taken metformin ER, but I'm pretty sure it is dosed the same as regular met. The main difference between the two is that ER causes fewer side effects.

And just so you know, we're very glad to have YOU with us on this website!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nature's Own is good....I buy it all the time!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There is a brand called Country Kitchen at my store. Their oatmeal bread has 8 carbs per slice. That works well for me. Whole grain bread is good for diabetics. I have found whole gtain with 8 carbs per slice, but I prefer the oatmeal bread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts