The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long term therapy story:
My first incident with type II diabetes was more than ten years ago. A random A1c was 9.1. My primary was concerned and started me on low dose Metformin, then higher doses, the actos. The results, while improved weren't good enough so off I went to the Endo. He wore an insulin pump himself and had an excellent rep. Byetta was new then but off I went down the stick 2x a day path. After about a year my A1c were quite a bit lower. I really didn't care for the older longer, thicker needles at all and the tight schedule for injections, so. I bought a medium refrigerator for my office and a extra pen. Easy to maintain a schedule in a busy working day, inject wait a 45-60 min, then stick.
This did result in the 5.9 - 6.1 numbers I run today. God bless the creators of the nano needle. I an an IT manger so a lot of my day I am desk bound and days can be long... Situations change. I am now in the doughnut hole and concerned about the price of Byetta at about $600 a pen. It just went up. I'm going to try Tanzeum. Just a wee bit less effective than Byetta but it is a tier 3 not tier 5. Over the beginning 8 years of detected diabetes, the cost of pens and all supplies was about $20 a month. Almost nothing. Now, I shudder. I'd really like to see low 5 A1c numbers. Then there is my gout treated with Allopurinol. Sure hope a stick doesn't trigger an nasty attack some day. Controlling uric acid level and blood glucose mean controlled eating habits. While high carbohydrate foods are yummy :smile2:, you can have some, just not much :crying:, if your numbers are good. Diabetes, it's not just a disease it's a warning. So is a panic attack when you blood sugar is just 80 or so. I know Actos can be deadly. No troubles so far. Wish I had the poster on my Drs. wall of a tired pancreas. Take care.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts