The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And no matter how hard I try to do the right thing - my genetics are steering me in the wrong direction. My Blood test results have been around 9.3 and 10.2 - nothing I do helps except if I avoid all carbohydrates. But even so, I still always seem to have high readings in the mornings even if I have a normal reading before going to bed.

I've been a diabetic since 1997, before that I had a diagnosis of hypoglycemia. There is a strong history of diabetes in my family. including my mother and all her 3 siblings, my grandmother and my sister. I'm a bit concerned that my eldest will be next to inherit this unpleasant condition, she already has hypoglycemia.

I've just started on a new medication, Byetta, after realising that I was having an adverse affect to the metformin medication I was on (difficult to realise the problem because the bad side affects were similar to how I was feeling for several years prior to going on any medications for diabetes).

I've had 3 days on byetta so far - and the only real benefits I've felt so far is that I'm more 'with it', not so fuzzy headed and not so sore all over. The sugar levels are still in the higher range (between 7.0 and 16.0 Australian). I feel more energetic and I think I've lost about 1 kg off my lower weight range (86 to 89 kg down to 85 kg). My skin is less dry too.

I'm 50 years old. My mother died at age 53 from complications of diabetes - I'm planning to live a lot longer than that. Mum had many more health issues that complicated her condition. If I have to go onto insulin, so be it. It might be my only option soon, unless something can be done to improve my bodies metabolism of carbohydrates.

My favourite way to relax - is to sing :sing:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Dina with a positive attitude like that I am sure you'll manage this welk for many many years.

I am travelling now so cant type much but I wanted to say please dont consider insulin as a last choice. From what I've known from my friends here is that it can many times be the best choice and on of the most "natural" medicine because it is exactly what our body needs.

By the way welcome here !

Reactions: dinabeth

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Sometimes after a long while with diabetes our pancreas just decided to poop out. Usually at that time we need to switch to a long acting insulin as well as oral meds. I am still on 2550 mg of metformin and it works most of the time but my doctor has already told me I will need insulin at some point to control my diabetes.

G

·
Hello Dinabeth and welcome to the forum from another Australian. There are a few of us here that are quite active. :)

I'm recently diagnosed and so far (fingers crossed) seem to have a mild case of diabetes. Since I went to an LC/HF diet, I've managed to keep my BG well down in the normal range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi dinabeth, I'm also new here, but I've had diabetes T2 about as long as you had. I started out on oral medications, but at some point my doctor put me on insulin. I'm very glad he did because it's helped me bring my BG under control.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about insulin, if I were you. Those A1C numbers sound very high to me. If he puts you on the kind you only take once a day (not the kind you take before every meal), it's really not that bad. Don't be afraid of the word "insulin."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've started on insulin - last week Monday. I'm still getting used to the new regime and trying to work out the correct dosages to help me along. I can't say there has been a great change - but there is still hope for improvement. The morning readings are coming down with the Lantus (slow release) at night. I'm on novo rapid before meals during the day (3 times a day).

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
dinabeth said:
I've started on insulin - last week Monday. I'm still getting used to the new regime and trying to work out the correct dosages to help me along. I can't say there has been a great change - but there is still hope for improvement. The morning readings are coming down with the Lantus (slow release) at night. I'm on novo rapid before meals during the day (3 times a day).
Cool. I used insulin. It did wonders for me. As you get more accustomed and better equipped at insulin you'll learn the tricks of the trade and then you'll see those numbers come down.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers come down. I was doing better for a little while on the byetta and then my blood test levels went up again. Initially I started craving carbohydrates but I'm getting that under control again. I've stocked up on lentils and quinoa and sticking to the rye breads when I have bread. I still need to start doing more exercise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also working on my fresh greens supply from my garden - lots of parsley, beetroot tops and endives and a few more herbs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you eat lentils, rye bread and quinoa make sure you test your one and two hour pp's. Even with insulin those foods sometimes are problems with diabetics.

Reactions: Shanny and Patdart

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Dianabeth

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend you spend some time reading on Blood Sugar 101. There you will find the recommendation to "eat to your meter" - and a lot more info on diabetes control.

Are you testing before, 1 hr and 2 hr after a meal? If you aren't, you are missing vital information for controlling your diabetes, and for adjusting your insulin dosages.

The best to you as you travel this road. And you have friends here to go with. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers come down. I was doing better for a little while on the byetta and then my blood test levels went up again. Initially I started craving carbohydrates but I'm getting that under control again. I've stocked up on lentils and quinoa and sticking to the rye breads when I have bread. I still need to start doing more exercise.
Strangely I also thought that rye would be better, but my numbers increased after eating it. even half of a small roll, didnt help. I would shoot to 8-9. Most upsetting.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
tish said:
Strangely I also thought that rye would be better, but my numbers increased after eating it. even half of a small roll, didnt help. I would shoot to 8-9. Most upsetting.
I've found ANY grain regardless of its a "healthy" grain will spike me. No bread of any type for me.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome Dinabeth
Just wanted to say welcome. I am new to this world but this forum is great. You will find us friendly, curious not nosy, and full of information gained from research and experience.
Deb

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you eat lentils, rye bread and quinoa make sure you test your one and two hour pp's. Even with insulin those foods sometimes are problems with diabetics.
My sugar readings definitely stay down lower than if I were to eat any wheat or rice foods or any sort. My doctor and the diabetes educator don't seem to think those 1 hr and 2 hrs after readings are important - but I still take at least the 2 hr after readings. Lentils work very good for me as a substitute for wheat and rice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take my readings just before each time I take the insulin. I hadn't been given instructions to take the readings after (though I do agree it would be a good idea).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've found ANY grain regardless of its a "healthy" grain will spike me. No bread of any type for me.

Sent from my iPhone
What kind of rye bread did you eat. The low GI varieties and pumpernickel work best for me. I like the Burgen Rye digestive aid bread - even my 2 daughters, who are gluten intolerant (though not diabetes - but likely to be pre diabetes), can eat that bread and it's ok for them. The younger daughter enjoys the pumpernickel too.

Tip Top Foodservice | Products | Burgen Rye

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Sent from my iPhone
I don't buy the grains because it is "healthy" - I buy it as an alternative because I know the wheat and the rice are terrible for me. It probably wouldn't hurt for me to go on a grain free diet for a little while - we can get enough sustenance out of other foods (including carbs). My sugars fair better when I make sure I keep the salad greens in my diet.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
dinabeth said:
What kind of rye bread did you eat. The low GI varieties and pumpernickel work best for me. I like the Burgen Rye digestive aid bread - even my 2 daughters, who are gluten intolerant (though not diabetes - but likely to be pre diabetes), can eat that bread and it's ok for them. The younger daughter enjoys the pumpernickel too.

Tip Top Foodservice | Products | Burgen Rye
I tried them all. Even the low carb, gluten-free types. It didn't matter. The ONLY type of grain I've found I can tolerate is one single piece of pizza hut thin crust pizza and even that has to eaten with a boat load of fats just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 28 Posts