The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have had Type I diabetes since 1964, when I was four years old (47 years!) Translation: Since back in the day when we boiled glass syringes in distilled water on the stove top, let them cool, then attached a large needle that we filed with a metal file to sharpen it before we stabbed that 1-1 1/2 inch thing into ourselves.

I am happy and doing pretty well. Are there any diabetics out there who have had diabetes for so long? I'd like to connect, swap stories, and just know if there's anyone out there who's had diabetes since pre-historic times (lol...) like me?

Female Anonymous

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Richard157

Richard is not the only one - there are several others why were diagnosed in childhood many decades ago. Prowl through our threads and see what turns up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually hoping to find folks with Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes for at least 30+ years. Anyone out there? Thank you! Female Anonymous :0)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Richard 157! Any advice on how to search the threads in an efficient manner? I'm not seeing anything related to long-term TYPE I diabetics. Any ideas would be appreciated! :0)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We don't segregate types on this forum, but you can check the profiles found on posts which often designate which type that member is. We also have several type 1.5 (LADA) members, and still more type 2 members who are insulin-dependent.

Insulin dependence is not the deciding factor in which type we are. GAD antibodies and c-peptide are the distinguishing factors for type 1 and 1.5 - absence of antibodies is the default for type 2. Every diabetic whose pancreas is shot will be insulin dependent, but that doesn't change them all to type 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, Richard, your point about "types" is noted. If you'd been a diabetic since the 1960's you'd know that even saying insulin dependent OR type is relatively a "new" term! Ha haha! :0) I do appreciate your interest in educating others, and being precise about terminology.

As a former CDE (Certified Diabetic Educator), I can say there are differences between the various "types" of diabetes, and those with what is/was called Type I, who have experiences that differ from those who are not insulin dependent (I know, I know...). As stated before, I am really hoping to connect with people who have been insulin dependent since the 60's, 70's, 80's. Oh well. My search continues... Best wishes to all of you! :0)

Glad to see the post from hitcheca! Peace and wellness to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts