Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Long time diabetic looking to provide and receive support

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sugarfreebri 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 23 years now (since I was 11). It has only been the past year that I have discovered the low carb diet and have been able to come close to getting control. Endocrinologists and dietitians just don't get it. Dr Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) is an absolute diabetic god in my eyes.

I can not believe I have not been on these sites before. You guys are amazing and there is such a wealth of knowledge and experience that you will never find at a doctors office.

I am ready to help myself and really feel a passion to help others understand, manage, or prevent this crazy disease. I have posted my full story online as a starting point to hopefully reaching others. If you are interested it is on the website of karenshealthykitchen under the section Briana's Pages (Sorry to list that way. Would not let me post a link my first time. Very understandable.).

I am looking forward to reading everyone's posts and learning from you all!

Thanks!

Briana

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Briana Welcome to the Forums!! I am sure you will have a wonderful stay here.. and i just read you story!! Well write and Inspirational !

Briana's Story

Congrats on the success of your LC Diet! And Enjoy your stay here :)

#8 ·
Hi Briana, welcome! You seem to be a well controlled type 1 diabetic. Congratulations! I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 66 years I am very healthy. We are all unique, and may follow very different management routines. The important thing is that we find a routine that works well for us as individuals. I am currently averaging 140-150 carbs and using an average of 35 units of insulin each day. My A1c has been below 6.0 for almost 10 years. My routine might not work for you, and yours might not work for me. I think it is a shame that many doctors have a set of rules that are given to all their type 1 patients. They seem to think that set of guidelines should work for all of us. We soon find that we need to use trial and error and come up with our own individualized management routines. I am pleased that you have done that.

Richard

#9 ·
Hello & welcome, Briana. Thank you for taking measures to spread the truth of this issue. Maybe someday the medical establishment will learn to listen and break the bonds of Big Pharma to teach patients the treatments that actually WORK.

Make yourself at home here - we gain a lot of support from one another and the more the merrier! :D

Take care & visit often!

#10 ·
Thanks Richard157 and Shanny!

Richard thank you for reminding me that everyone is different and will require a different diet and management plan. You are absolutely right. I am so impressed and inspired that a long time type 1 has been able to maintain such a great A1c. So you are able to eat a fairly moderate carb diet and still maintain your blood sugars? Do you ever notice a spike after eating that eventually comes back down to normal?

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, a meal with some fast acting carbs will give me a high spike an hour after eating. I limit myself to only a half cup of potatoes or pasta, and do a similar thing with all foods with fast acting carbs. The glycemic index is helpful. You can find a discussion on that topic in the diet and nutrition forum, near the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.