The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this and have others chime in... I have a brother who has been type 1 for 30 years. The first 10 years his numbers were all over the place though he tried to manage as best he could. The past 20 years, he got an endo and really got tight control. You would think his first 10 years of horrible control would have had repurcussions but he suffered not one bit by way of complications.. Are there any here who have a similar story? His story gives me hope in that I can buckle down NOW and perhaps not suffer complications in the future from this disease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to share this and have others chime in... I have a brother who has been type 1 for 30 years. The first 10 years his numbers were all over the place though he tried to manage as best he could. The past 20 years, he got an endo and really got tight control. You would think his first 10 years of horrible control would have had repurcussions but he suffered not one bit by way of complications.. Are there any here who have a similar story? His story gives me hope in that I can buckle down NOW and perhaps not suffer complications in the future from this disease.
Oh Countrygal I love reading stories like this hope things go good for you:amen:

Lanz

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Buckle down NOW anyway. that would be my advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I certainly don't want to pretend to be an expert when (1) it's my wife, not I, that has diabetes, and (2) she's only been diagnosed for less than 2 months. But being a pretty big nerd, I've been reading from a textbook about diabetes, and one of the things it mentions in a chapter about causes of diabetic complications is that in experiments with diabetic dogs, the dogs spent 2-1/2 years with unhealthy hyperglycemia. But during this time, the dogs generally did not suffer diabetic complications. The dogs then spent 2-1/2 years with very good blood sugar control. However, by the end of that second period, many of those dogs developed diabetic complications. The takeaway from the experiment was that hyperglycemia can damage the body in ways that don't really manifest themselves in visible, detectable ways, but that damage could later cause debilitating and dangerous diabetic complications long after a diabetic has established good blood sugar control. (The reason mentioned in the textbook is that hyperglycemia can damage mitochondrial DNA by causing the mitochondria to produce a damaging molecule called superoxide and possibly cause mutations that can mess up mitochondria---the cells energy plants, so to speak---in ways that would make someone more susceptible to diabetic complications later, even after getting BG under control.)

Regardless of the extent that anyone should worry about a particular cause of later-in-life complications from earlier-in-life lack of control, it shouldn't be surprising that pretty much anything that is unhealthy, be it something that is chosen like smoking or excessive drinking or something that isn't chosen like diabetes, can damage the body in ways unseen and lead to problems many years later, even when one gets whatever problem it is under control.

The body is remarkably resilient though, so it's also not surprising that many people's bodies seem to forgive them for their earlier chosen or unchosen unhealthiness. But even as a non-diabetic, I try to take my diet seriously, realizing that what I do now will affect my health down the road.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I wouldn't wait any longer to buckle down. I don't have any stories to tell except that I didn't treat my diabetes for almost 3 years. When I started going to the doctor again, I had retinopathy, neuropathy, worsening of gastroparesis, vision problems and the list probably is longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lanz, those, mcgruff, breeze, in total agreement with the replies. The high numbers do add up and eventually will damage organs bigtime. My brother is not on a pump as his INS would not cover one and people like me who have access to one are soo lucky! He's been on lantus and humalog forever and has such tight control for so long, he's such an inspiration . He says the turning point was getting an endo and nutritionist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts