The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, been over a year since I posted last.
I have begun the hoop jumping process with my insurance company for RNY surgery. My doctor has all but guaranteed that the diabetes will be cured on the table or very soon there after. I have done tons and tons of research on this and it seems pretty accurate. I hope to have the surgey in about 6 months, in the mean time he is starting me on Lantus as of today.

Thoughts on RNY?
Thoughts on Lantus?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RNY is one of several types of weight loss surgeries.
Laproscopic Gastric Bypass..

RNYGastricBypass

Gastric Bypass surgery for obesity, specifically, Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass, is the most common gastric bypass procedure today. RNY Gastric Bypass is an operation to create a small food "pouch" at the upper end of your stomach with a capacity of less than two ounces (<50 ml). The pouch is connected to the middle small intestine (jejunum) by a small outlet of about 1.0 cm (1/2 inch) in diameter, thus bypassing the remaining portion of your stomach and some of your small intestine, the duodenum, and the first part of the jejunum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Scrimbles!

Glad you posted, I am "kind of new" at least to the forum.
No knowledge of RNY but your posts might help others where that might be an option. I recently (2 weeks now) switched to Lantus and so far find it much better than the 'intermediate acting insulin' I had been using. While 2 weeks is not nearly enough time for complete eval my FBG 'average' during this period has went from 111 to 105. BTW the 111 'average' yielded an A1C of 5.3 Another positive is the dose of Lantus is just less than 1/2 the 'intermediate'
Overall I am pleased with Lantus. Sounds like your need for Lantus would be temporary. Best wishes!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have heard lots of cases that were cured with the surgery but they don't really know why this is. Have they done long term studies to see if the diabetes returns if you don't stick to the strict diet. I do know many people do regain the weight because they don't stick to the diet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone, hope all is well
Hi Shanny! (and no I have not contacted her, Im sure I will thanks)

I found another short article about the RNY and cure.
Why Does the Roux-en-y (RNY)

This really is in its infancy, so I do not believe there are long term studies. I also notice that the more articles I read the word "remission" seems to be more widely used than "cure"

Here is a 60 minutes episode from 2008...

The Bypass Effect - 60 Minutes - CBS News
If you have 15 minutes (and are interested, it's worth the watch)
enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts